Tenebrael Shard?

Hyperkinako

I'm thinking of running a Tenebrael Shard just for fun in an upcoming tournament.

Not seen much mention of this models use.  Has anyone had experience in his effectiveness?  Thinking he could be good at taking out a buffing hero at the start of the game to reduce opponent effectiveness, or at least cause some damage before he dies.

Also been trying to think of ways of improving his performance when he strikes or at least keep him fighting a little longer, artifacts, spells, buffs......

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I've always wanted to try him in conjuction with a Loremaster. Would be hit or miss given the 4+ needed to activate his *BAMF!* but could be great fun!

Outside of Artillery and Hero hunting, he would be a great way to inflict on units that can stand and shoot at units that charge, as he can *BAMF!* close enough that he could just pile in and avoid the whole charge phase. Good way to thin down their numbers and maybe remove some massed shooting bonuses.

His ability to just move to any point within 3" of any enemy model makes him difficult to stop getting close to weaker targets without tight bubble wrap from other troops.  The 50/50 chance of pulling of first turn makes him a little hit or miss but think it would be a tactic others are not expecting.

I'm thinking get a mystic shield on him to improve save and improve rend or damage with an artifact.  Could well be quite potent.  If he survives jump him again to hit another target.

Just looked up the Tenebrael Shard.  Nice, he would pair well with the loremaster.

The shadowstrike ability is nice, a 50% chance on your first turn to alpha strike him against an opponents wizard, etc.  Cast hand of Glory and then see if the Shard gets to use his ability.

31 minutes ago, BeefyBuns said:

He doesn't currently have a pts value does he? How can he be included in a matched play game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He 120 points

For kamikaze unit thats a lot of points to sink into him, if he was 80 id use him without a 2nd thought.

He 120 points

For kamikaze unit thats a lot of points to sink into him, if he was 80 id use him without a 2nd thought.

Cool. Thanks. Have the pts been published for all the silver tower models then? Where are they available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used him in my Dark Aelf army at the Facehammer GT with little success. The shadowstrike ability succeeds on 4+ which means a 50/50 chance of success or in my case a 50/50 chance of failure! He did it about once per game. I tried to use him as a wizard assassin. There was something wrong with my dice though, I think I need some new ones. With the dice gods favouring you, you could zip around the board slaying wizards, weak characters, artillery or even small units. It is an awesome ability.

19 hours ago, Sej said:

He 120 points

Now it doesn't have to be kamikaze.. you can wait a bit till armies are spread around and attack something that he can survive and then get another charge somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I ran the Shard at a tournament this weekend alongside a Skyborn Slayers Stormcast list.

It was my first games with Stormcast so lost every game being over zealous with the Skyborn drop and not focusing on objectives.  Think lack of experience in AOS and coming up against some strong lists didn't bode well, but I had a good time and learned a lot.

Regardless the Shard ended up being very effective and great fun.  In all my games he jumped around the board, took out a number of chaff units by himself and a couple of wizards.  He also created a great psychological threat for my opponents as  most had not experienced him in AOS and him clearing out some of the weaker element of their armies caused a nice distraction.

Have to say I could probably have been a little braver with him and gone for more prime targets earlier on.  Think combining him with a Loremaster would have definitely improved his effectiveness and already considering hiding an assassin inside him for extra shenanigans :)

Would recommend giving him a go.

Archived