New to Chaos 1000pts

Indoctrinator

Hi everyone!

I have been playing Age of Sigmar for a while now and I have been really enjoying it but recently I have felt the call to collect a new army and Chaos has really taken my fancy. To start along my dark path I chose to pick up a few models from Ebay and I am planning on playing a 1000pt game when I get them painted. Here are the two lists that I am considering:

Lord of Chaos 100pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 140pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

5 Chaos Knights 200pts

1 Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh 80pts

10 Daemonettes 120pts

1000pts

Lord of Chaos 100pts

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 140pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

5 Chaos Knights 200pts

3 Flamers of Tzeentch 200pts

1000pts

In the first list all models will take the Mark of Slaanesh and in the second list all models will take the Mark of Tzeentch. I like both these Chaos Gods very much and I find it hard to choose between them. I am sorry to read that Slaanesh might be being taken out of the game so I am a bit worried about painting my whole army with a Slaanesh theme. I am quite excited about the new Disciples of Tzeentch release and I would be prepared to add some models from that book when it is released if I go for a Tzeentch theme.

The other models I have in my collection apart from those from the lists above are 3 Skullcrushers, 1 Daemon Prince, 5 Dire Wolves, 1 Chimara, 10 Marauders, another Sorcerer Lord and 10 more Warriors.

Would either of these lists be good for a fun, friendly game? Which one would be best? Do I need to rethink my lists totally?

Many thanks for reading,

Indoctrinator

Personally, I have just started buying all the Slaanesh units I could find. But I feel your doubt. And it's by no means a cheap way to collect an army. One thing I will say, 1000pt is easily collected and if you like the look & feel... it will only get more expensive ;) So I have little help on the second list but on the first:

If you take Slaanesh and included the knights and chariot I would strongly suggest the Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic mount. His ability for units to pile in twice means the chariot and knight take advantage of charging bonuses twice.

If you take the Sorcerer I would suggest getting 5 daemonettes on steeds as well and summoning either the daemonettes or the mounted ones depending on you in game needs. Bit tricky but I feel that adds an extra edge but I haven't tried this yet because just got mine in the mail yesterday :) 

Also i'm not decided on knights in 1000pt games. They are very expensive and although they have a 5+ against mortal wounds, they are easy to tarpit. Also unless you get the sorcerer buff on them the 4+ to hit seems a bit underwhelming. 

Thanks Kramer for your reply!

The argument you make for the Lord of Slaanesh of Daemonic Mount was excellent and I think it will make this small army all the more effective. It is shame to lose the Sorcerer but as I move up in points I am sure I can add him back in. Anyway, I thought it was such a good idea to add in the mounted hero that I bought the model today. I am looking forward to trying him out (with the benefits you mentioned for the knights and the chariot).

Here is my updated list:

Lord of Chaos 100pts

Lord of Slaanesh of Daemonic Mount 140pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

10 Chaos Warriors 180pts

5 Chaos Knights 200pts

1 Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh 80pts

10 Daemonettes 120pts

1000pts

Thanks again for the advice. About the Chaos Knights, I have heard both good and bad things about them but I think they are probably the best option out of what is in my collection. If they don't perform I will have to figure out something to swop them out for.

I am not a pro in the game but your list looks solid. I would not do a Slaanesh 1000p army much different from what you wrote. Maybe you can use your Daemon Prince to have a big tanky guy to compete with other tanky guys (a Dragon, a Bloodthirster...).

I would not include a Chaos sorcerer lord because in my opinion daemon Slaanesh units are freaking fast so probably no need to summon them to put them near the opponent because they can move fast by themselves. 

I see the command ability of the lord of slaanesh on mount incredibly amazing. However, if you want to include you chaos standard lord you have to keep in mind he can "summon" StD units from the edge of the table on a 4+ I think, so this could help you balance your lack of shooting and magic if you "summon" (for example) your knights, and you make a fast charge on a cannon or some shooter unit in your opponent's army from its rear (profit of a weapon of the knights that gets a bonus when charging).

I hope my opinion will be useful to you. 1000p armies are really exciting, easy and fast to complete! In addition, if you paint your StD units in black you can recycle them to create other god's armies, so they are just great!

2 hours ago, Indoctrinator said:

Thanks Kramer for your reply!

Absolutly no problem. Don't you just love the model:x

Do you have chaos lord already by chance? Because you could also consider losing him if you fancy the sorcerer. He does add range and and mortal wounds. Getting those 40 points however is tricky. 

25 minutes ago, neiras3 said:

I would not include a Chaos sorcerer lord because in my opinion daemon Slaanesh units are freaking fast so probably no need to summon them to put them near the opponent because they can move fast by themselves. 

That is a good point, especially on the mounted daemonettes. I havent tested your suggestion but you might lack sheer model count if you add knights (200pt), Lord on daemonic steed (140pt) and daemon prince (160pt or 280pt KoS). So you'd have to drop something to include the minimum battleline. And even then a lot of battleplans require model count on objectives. But you're right that most armies field a big baddie ;) 

On 12/22/2016 at 8:11 PM, Indoctrinator said:

Would either of these lists be good for a fun, friendly game? Which one would be best? Do I need to rethink my lists totally?

Also your list is perfectly fine for this. You will be able to compete and have fun. 

Thanks a lot for the further advice.

neiras3 I agree with you that the Sorcerer would be too slow to keep up with the faster moving parts of the army so I am happy to leave him out for now.

I do like the Daemon Prince but I am not sure how to squeeze him in! A big monster will be a must to try out sometime in the future. As regards the standard Chaos Lord I will look into the flanking ability you mentioned and I will try and give it a go - I am sure to be facing a cannon somewhere down the line!

Kramer you are right - the mounted Slaanesh Lord looks absolutely great! Really happy to add him to my collection. I do have the standard Chaos Lord already and I suppose he will have to do because I am not sure where to get the extra points. At any rate maybe he will prove more useful than the Sorcerer as discussed above.

I am very happy with the list now and with both of you giving a vote of confidence I am looking forward to playing it. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Indoctrinator said:

Thanks a lot for the further advice.

neiras3 I agree with you that the Sorcerer would be too slow to keep up with the faster moving parts of the army so I am happy to leave him out for now.

I do like the Daemon Prince but I am not sure how to squeeze him in! A big monster will be a must to try out sometime in the future. As regards the standard Chaos Lord I will look into the flanking ability you mentioned and I will try and give it a go - I am sure to be facing a cannon somewhere down the line!

Kramer you are right - the mounted Slaanesh Lord looks absolutely great! Really happy to add him to my collection. I do have the standard Chaos Lord already and I suppose he will have to do because I am not sure where to get the extra points. At any rate maybe he will prove more useful than the Sorcerer as discussed above.

I am very happy with the list now and with both of you giving a vote of confidence I am looking forward to playing it. Thanks!

First of: quick tip add a  @ before the name so people get notifications when you mention them. 

Let us know how your next game went. Curious to see how they performed :) (unless you get tabled don;t tell us if our advice meant you lost ;) )

6 hours ago, Indoctrinator said:

@Kramer Thanks for the tip. I will try and report in on how the army fares :) It might be after New Year as my opponents are away at the moment and I am still waiting for a few models to arrive. 

Haha i suspect that Christmas is the time for painting and not war ;) 

@Kramer Just an update about my first game as requested:

I played a 1000pt game just before New Years with a friend. He played a fun fluffy Grot wolf rider army and we played Three Places of Power from the General's Handbook. It was a good game and we had a laugh. Both our armies met in the middle around the objectives. I found the Lord of Slaanesh of Daemonic Mount's special ability excellent and it enabled my unit of Warriors nearby to do some serious damage. We all were tied up in the middle for a couple of turns duking it out and I had to send off my Chaos Knights to deal with his two Rock Lobbas. I got lucky with the turn roll and together with also killing his only hero and all my units performing well (even though I lost the Seeker Chariot and the Daemonettes) my opponent conceded as I had two heroes on the objectives and he did not have a way to score anymore. 

It was a good game and the list performed well. I am looking forward to more games with it, painting up what I have and expanding my list further down the line.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cool report. Good to hear you had fun. I find the warriors excellent to claim objective. They just don't die. How did the chariots perform? I'm still undiceded on the. 

Good to hear the lord of Slaanesh performed well. How did you find him in combat? He can dish out but without support he dies quite quickly or am I just using them wrong?

How big a unit of daemonettes did you field? 10 right? Didn't you find them very fragile to shooting?

In general I think you had the right battleplan, focus on the objectives and use speed the snipe the characters to prevent him scoring points. 

@Kramer Yes you are right the warriors seemed to last and last which was great. The Daemonettes seemed a bit fragile by comparison. I only took 10 and I think I would definitely need 20 for a larger game. He focused his shooting on the Chaos Knights but the Daemonettes still seemed fragile in the melee.

The Seeker Chariot wasn't brilliant. It did two mortal wounds when it charged in which was nice but when it was stuck in combat it didn't really do much. I was considering swopping it out for a unit of Warhounds for war machine hunting but I do like the model so I think I will keep it in for now.

The mounted Lord of Slaanesh did a good job, doing quite a nice amount of damage and he seemed to survive with his 7 wounds (+1 for Favour of the Gods). However he was supported by some chaos warriors so I am not sure how he would be at taking on a unit all by himself.

@Indoctrinator You could also switch the Seeker Chariot for a Fiend of slaanesh and keep the change to maybe force a cheeky triumph roll. I proxied a spawn as a Fiend last week against a friend. It did okay, movement is great and the -1 to hit ability gives it a bit more staying power. Got a lucky double six against 2 rat ogres, killed one and then spend 1,5 battle round beating each other until the game was done. Don't like the model but a 'fiend' is very open to conversion. 

Regarding the Lord, maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Because I tend to send him off with other fast units (knights). Meaning I don't have big unit's close by to screen and protect him. Thanks I'm going to try that next time. 

20 daemonettes, in my limited, experience do very well if you can get them in combat. the 2 attacks with -1 rend equals a lot of wounds ;)

Archived