Zombies post FAQ

Ashtyn

Hi guys.

I know there is a thread about the FAQ already but I specifically wanted to focus on the zombie changes.

It appears that zombies can now merge without the cost of reinforcement points.

However another statement in the FAQ says that you can't merge battleline units during setup. I'm wondering if this means that zombies can't be merged in the hero phase if the 3 units count as your 'minimum' battleline.

What do you guys think the correct interpretation is? 

So from what I can see zombies are capped at 60 even with merging. I always thought this was the case

And we can still take 3 units of 10 if we want to fill battleline and then merge them in the hero phase, since this is done after setup. 

1 minute ago, Ashtyn said:

So from what I can see zombies are capped at 60 even with merging. I always thought this was the case

And we can still take 3 units of 10 if we want to fill battleline and then merge them in the hero phase, since this is done after setup. 

This is correct. The new merged unit size is not "a unit that is larger than the normal maximum unit size for a Zombie unit in a Pitched Battle", since that size is 60. 

Indeed or do as i do and take 16x10 units of zombies and keep them all unmerged to take advantage of healing banner, and then merge 30-60 of them  with lots of buffs when they are in the best positions. 

edit: give them kind of a tanky mode and a glass cannon mode

5 minutes ago, Nico said:

Sorry, it's only a partial nerf. You can merge, but cannot merge over 60. That's a lot better than I thought originally. See the discussion on this thread @Thomas Lyons:

Fair enough, I was wondering why you were indicating we should cry about zombies. I didn't feel like the FAQ nerfed them tbh.

I do think the ring is a massive nerf. And personally am disappointed with the changes to Royal menagerie, but death aren't the only faction that get hurt by this. 

Seems that I'll have to build some FEC lists that purely focus on regen and attempt to grind my opponent down.

Well it is a partial nerf as before a good arguement could be made for zombie merging ignoring max requirements, as the Max/min unit size stuff only refered to purchasing units and not merging them.  However, by verbage of the question it has been changed from a pure "merging" to creation of a new free unit. As you are taking a unit you would then have to adhere to the unit's max for taking a unit and pay for point, but they said it cost no points. 

edit: also by creating a new free unit you'd lose access to all buffs placed on the unit before merging?? So, that is also kind of a nerf.

The thing is a nerf, but recently i had been playing it that way anyway as it seemed that was the case for all such resurrection abilities to me. And if you make a sandwhich you gotta eat it yourself before you expect others to. 

The merging occurs in the hero phase, most spells or abilities that buff your units occur in the hero phase.

So if you merge your zombies, then cast your spells, your 'new' unit of zombies will still be buffed.

it seems that you must be smart about when you merge your zombie unit in regards to casting spells on them. 

Tbh it could be seen as a buff. If your casters were only in range of 1 of the units of zombies pre-merge. After the two units merge ( let's say there were 2 units of 20 ) the spell will now be able to effect 40 models as opposed to the 20 that were originally in range.

so I'd say as long as you use command abilities and spells AFTER you merge the zombies you can be far more liberal with the placement of your characters since only 1 model is required to be in range of a spell or ability for the entire unit to be granted its effect. 

Well so it's a nerf in that you have to go all in. So for me i like keeping my zombies MSU for as long as possible as they regen way more models that way, and are just harder to take out via battle shock.  However, when i want to go offensive i have to go all in on a merge, and as such i have to merge before nowing in VDM or The VLoA's move buff goes off.  Meaning icould merge and fail my charge or not do enough damage leaving them in a more vulnerable state. 

However it is a buff as you can use many things in a kind of cheeky way. 

1. you can purge enemy debuffs. Spell that make you -1 hit/wound or make you pile in last or any negative effect on the unit can be purged by merging as you created this nice new unit.

2. You can take advantage of damn terrain to get free 2x2xd3" inchs close to your enemy 3 times. Let say you ahve two units of zombies both on damn terrain. You can sacfrafice d3" zombies and them use the banners to revive d6" (but limited to the D3" if un wounded) model and place them 1" forward of the unit each. As the base is also <1" your geting 2" close with each zombie. Then merge and as it's a new unit it hasn't used it's banner or the damned terrain you can have this "new" merged unit to use the damned terrain losing d3" models again and then again rez the models forward. Allowing you to make charges and move up the board super quick. 

3. On man actually just thought about this!!! Very excited. When you summon a unit of zombies and then merge the new unit is now cleansed of it's summoning sickness, and can now move as normal... of man... that's agressive. You could move up 4" and get a garenteed charge.... turn 1... of man!! that is very very agressive. 

4. in same the vein, future potential if you could get a way to move the zombies in the hero phase. you could retreat then merge the zombies. This newly merged unit wouldn't have counted as having been in combat.

Thinking about zombies are kind of ridiculous now. Hmmmm.... @Nico this is a thing now right?? am i trippin?? 

The summoning followed by merging is a very interesting idea. It would provide an extremely agressive tarpit if you chose to summon your zombies in a specific way (vertical conga line). If the merging does truly create a 'new' unit then this unit should be able to move in the movement phase and then charge.

I'm sure your opponent will dislike that method of play. But tbh death need something at the moment. 

sincerly the death faq about not going up over 60 is not something problematic. I always used zombies and over 40 I find them little manouvrable. Anyway 60 is a fine number, what counts is to be able to mere them anyway

Edit: but based on the GH faq dies ut neans that I can nere only the summoned units etween themselves and to the rooster ones?

Edit2: 

more I read the FAQ:

Q: The Pitched Battle rules say that I have to include a certain number of Battleline units in my army. If I include them on the roster, can I choose to merge them into a single large unit when I set up?

A: No.

More I find that the zombies can merge. And the merging referring to it its related about a general question to fuse units that you bought separated and not referred to the merging rule. Cause it's referring about the "setting up", so to the deployment, so to avoid some those change the rooster composition.

Archived