Age of Sigmar FAQ update

Ben Johnson

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mmimzie said:

As long as you have the key words/name and the pitched battle profile for it i'd say your good. What is the specific instance??

The State Troop Detachment - you can go with the Freeguild regiment, which does essentially work the same way, but the requirements are much more restricting in a 2000 Pts battle.

There are others for armies like Breyherds, Moonclan Grots etc.

i know there were arguments before regarding these but it mostly affects armies lacking options to gain these batallion benefits at the moment.

2 hours ago, Terry Pike said:

But thats not what the rule says, you are finding wording in there which is unrelated to the matched play rules.

The rules on it are very clear. Generals Handbook: Can you go you go over starting size, No. Can zombies merge in matched play over starting size, No.

Terry, unfortunately it seems you are the one that is reading words that aren't there.  The exact FAQ says: 

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 4.11.17 PM.png

No where does the FAQ say anything about Starting Size of the unit.  No where.  Instead, it asks about the "normal maximum unit size for a Zombie unit in a Pitched Battle."  This number is 60.  They aren't referencing starting size.  They are asking if you can merge zombies into a 120 model pack.  They are silent on the individual sizes units are deployed as, although they do acknowledge that when they do merge (which implies they can), points do not need to be paid.

21 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Terry, unfortunately it seems you are the one that is reading words that aren't there.  The exact FAQ says: 

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 4.11.17 PM.png

No where does the FAQ say anything about Starting Size of the unit.  No where.  Instead, it asks about the "normal maximum unit size for a Zombie unit in a Pitched Battle."  This number is 60.  They aren't referencing starting size.  They are asking if you can merge zombies into a 120 model pack.  They are silent on the individual sizes units are deployed as, although they do acknowledge that when they do merge (which implies they can), points do not need to be paid.

Exactly it doesnt say you can go over the starting size, thus not ignoring the matched play rules that you cannot go over your starting unit size.

this FAQ is to confirm you cannot merge over the unit cap, which is 60.

Seems to me that you could have 2 units of 20 Zombies that have been reduced to 15 and 5 models, and merge them into a single 20.  This would not cost any reinforcement points, wound not break the matched play rules and would not exceed the maximum pitched battle profile/warscroll size. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Seems to me that you could have 2 units of 20 Zombies that have been reduced to 15 and 5 models, and merge them into a single 20.  This would not cost any reinforcement points, wound not break the matched play rules and would not exceed the maximum pitched battle profile/warscroll size. 

I agree with this. Which is what I also posted in the thread about merging zombies.

The rule about ring of immortality is a big slap in the face tbh. It basically makes the ring 100% worthless unless you want to gimp your army 100-400 points just to bring back a leader/hero 12" away from enemy models (doesn't have to be close to the enemy's) with a random 1-3 wounds back is sad. I wonder if this same rule would apply to a ability on a hero or model like for example: hell pit abomination which comes back on a roll of a 5 or 6 with D6 wounds back or a Anointed on a flamespire  Phoenix since this model comes back with full wounds on a roll of a 4+. 

I disagree with the dispute about zombies merging. 

The death FAQ specifically states they may merge in a pitched battle. 

The reason this FAQ was added is due to the contention around merging in matched play. It was never contentious in narrative play. 

The second part indicates if zombies may exceed the 'normal' maximum model count for a zombie unit. 'Normal' is not 'starting', it is referencing the maximum unit size in the GH.

The FAQ would not have been required if the community hadn't voiced indecsion about the merging of zombies in pitched battles in a match play setting. The death battle tome clearly states zombies may merge, meaning that the addition to the death FAQ is completely POINTLESS, unless it clarifies the developers position on zombies merging in matched play.

those who are expecting GW to hold their hand through every single sentence in the FAQ are being a little foolish. They have attempted to answer a question that has plagued the community since the introduction of matched play, and I believe they have clarified their view.

zombies may merge in matched play, however they may not exceed the maximum model count specified in the generals handbook (60)

6 minutes ago, Mitsuhida said:

The rule about ring of immortality is a big slap in the face tbh. It basically makes the ring 100% worthless unless you want to gimp your army 100-400 points just to bring back a leader/hero 12" away from enemy models (doesn't have to be close to the enemy's) with a random 1-3 wounds back is sad. I wonder if this same rule would apply to a ability on a hero or model like for example: hell pit abomination, or Anointed on a flamespire  Phoenix since this model comes back with full wounds.

The Flamespire dies and then comes back so I'd say yep same rules apply. The Hellpit Abom's too horrible to die specifically states it isn't slain so I'd say no it doesn't need reinforcement points. 

6 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys about 3d3 or 3xd3.. I think is the same thing roll in the same time or one by one honestly.. There are faq more important to b clared..

The discussion was about something different.

It was about the results the faq suggested using a single d3 an multiplying it by the required amount 

3 hours ago, Russellbogentoff said:

I assume this takes away the battalions like the State Troop detachment? If so, they're limiting the freedom of the armies without an official battletome

Pretty disappointed about this, as I've also been enquiring about Markus Wolfhart's ability on Empire Archers... which technically don't exist anymore. 

With the Free Guild battalion bloated with too many forced units, looks like I won't have a battalion to play with in the near future. 

As a death player it's disappointing that the ring has been FAQ but I understand it was very powerful on a vlozd.

I worry that there's so much negativity from people losing their battalions and compendium builds but remember that it's only early days for Aos. We still have a lot to look forward too.

You might be losing something now but getting something so much better in the future.

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys about 3d3 or 3xd3.. I think is the same thing roll in the same time or one by one honestly.. There are faq more important to b clared..

It might seem insignificant and the same damage on average but there is one big differens. There are a few abillities that can manipulate one dice and if that dice could shift a unit that have a lot of D3 damage attacks (or god forbit D6 damage attacks if there is such unit now or in the future) to all get max damage it could make some difference. Maybe not game breaking but probably not their intention. Maybe one reason to FAQ the FAQ another reason could be that noone plays it that way which for me is also a good reason.

With a lot of the FAQ changes, I thought of something in regards to a lot of the more "controversial" changes. Hear me out here. This sounds like GW is specifically trying to balance these things *FOR TOURNAMENTS* and this feels like a veiled way to make it clear Matched Play isn't meant for everyday gaming, but specifically tournament type events. Think about it. These restrictions on like the Ring of Immortality or battalions with keywords and such, those type of things would make sense for a tournament to try and balance the playing field. All of these controversial changes that people are up in arms about *make sense when you think of it like a rules packet for a tournament*. They don't make sense when you consider them blanket rules.   In a tournament sure, it makes sense to, for example, limit an item that can bring back a 400ish point (or more?) monster for free. But outside of that, it seems like an unwarranted nerf.

25 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys on my exemple that means I have to roll hit/wounds one by one too?or I have to roll only the damage one by one?;) sorry but I have bad English:(

Not to confuse you this is the ruling in the FAQ. If you have 6 attacks with the same weapon, roll 6 dice to hit, if 4 hits roll 4 dice to wound. If 3 wounds and are not saved and have D3 damage you roll 3 dice and add the damage together. Maybe 2 + 3 + 3 = 8 if you are lucky. ☺

To clarify the change to Battalions. How literal is it?

Legion of Death, for example, requires a Wight King. Can I or can't I use "Wight King with Tomb Blade" (unit name or the 'with Black Axe' version).

As per FAQ answer is now "No". Which seems daft. 

Would just like clarification on that :) Have posted similar in Death FAQ commenting about how this effects a few Battalions,  not just Death.

2 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

I disagree with the dispute about zombies merging. 

The death FAQ specifically states they may merge in a pitched battle. 

The reason this FAQ was added is due to the contention around merging in matched play. It was never contentious in narrative play. 

The second part indicates if zombies may exceed the 'normal' maximum model count for a zombie unit. 'Normal' is not 'starting', it is referencing the maximum unit size in the GH.

The FAQ would not have been required if the community hadn't voiced indecsion about the merging of zombies in pitched battles in a match play setting. The death battle tome clearly states zombies may merge, meaning that the addition to the death FAQ is completely POINTLESS, unless it clarifies the developers position on zombies merging in matched play.

those who are expecting GW to hold their hand through every single sentence in the FAQ are being a little foolish. They have attempted to answer a question that has plagued the community since the introduction of matched play, and I believe they have clarified their view.

zombies may merge in matched play, however they may not exceed the maximum model count specified in the generals handbook (60)

No I'm sorry.

The faq questions answers a specific question.

It doesn't negate or change the rule that states that you can't merge over the starting unit in matched play. 

If they were changing the rules the would have re worded it in the Errata section.

The question may be pointless. But it is the question they answered.

Making logic jumps to make up for the fact that gw didn't answer the question you wanted them to is a dangerous way of thinking.

Read what it says.

Maybe it is a mistake on gas part but that's not the point.

There have been plenty of mistakes in the rules. But until they are corrected. Those are the rules.

Gw told us a useless fact they will figure it out sooner or later.

Archived