Age of Sigmar FAQ update

Ben Johnson

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StealthKnightSteg said:

and battleplan escalation just got overhauled..

Yeah, that was kinda odd to me. I wonder if that sort of deployment will become standard in the future for more battleplans. Would certainly cut down on the power of Behemoths in a lot of ways. 

I'm glad that Fanatics and Skulkers got cleared up. They're still very strong, but random Grot tendrils flying out all over the map was a tad silly. 

Night Goblins got hit exceedingly hard as well.  

• They made the battalion unplayable since wording doesn't match (which they specified unit names must match). 
  • They negated the prior FAQ that named characters with the appropriate keyword qualify to fulfill battalions since that unit must be bolded in order for it to refer to a keyword (i.e. no Skarsnik for the battalion now)
  • All fanatics must be released simultaneously, which could mean that even if they seemingly are different units of Fanatics all units must be released simultaneously (which seems to conflict with the clear multiple assassins clarification also introduced in this FAQ).
  • All fanatics must be placed within 1" of the unit they are emerging from (i.e. no conga-lining)
  • And only 3 netters per 20 Grots.  

They won't likely be showing up on the competitive any longer :-/

2 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

• They made the battalion unplayable since wording doesn't match (which they specified unit names must match). 
  • They negated the prior FAQ that named characters with the appropriate keyword qualify to fulfill battalions since that unit must be bolded in order for it to refer to a keyword (i.e. no Skarsnik for the battalion now)
  • All fanatics must be released simultaneously, which could mean that even if they seemingly are different units of Fanatics all units must be released simultaneously (which seems to conflict with the clear multiple assassins clarification also introduced in this FAQ).
  • All fanatics must be placed within 1" of the unit they are emerging from (i.e. no conga-lining)

Disagree. They still are very efficient and cheap Battleline, Netters are still amazing (you can cover a pretty good amount of enemies with their debuffs), and Fanatics will change, but they still are awesome at stopping charges cold. 

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Disagree. They still are very efficient and cheap Battleline, Netters are still amazing (you can cover a pretty good amount of enemies with their debuffs), and Fanatics will change, but they still are awesome at stopping charges cold. 

The Grot warscroll might show up, but I was talking about whole armies.  Whole Moonclan armies will likely no longer be present.

Just now, Terry Pike said:

The D3 damage thing is very swingy now and can be manipulated by Tzeentch :P

Lets say you have a unit of 6 Stormfiends with Doomfists, they all hit and wound, then you just pick the damage roll of 3 on the D3 with Kairos, every fiend becomes damage 3, 72 damage. bam

Except you can't have Stormfiends in an army using the Tzeentch allegiance ability since they don't have the right keyword...but I like where your head's at ;-)

Just now, Thomas Lyons said:

Except you can't have Stormfiends in an army using the Tzeentch allegiance ability since they don't have the right keyword...but I like where your head's at ;-)

You don't need Tzeentch allegiance for Kairos :P

But a unit of 9 disc dudes with great bows... wow

6 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

The D3 damage thing is very swingy now and can be manipulated by Tzeentch :P

Lets say you have a unit of 6 Stormfiends with Doomfists, they all hit and wound, then you just pick the damage roll of 3 on the D3 with Kairos, every fiend becomes damage 3, 72 damage. bam

It reads as its "per weapon" so Kairos would only be able to guarantee one Stormfiend having max damage (on all its attacks) with Kairos :-) 

4 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

I asked Ben and with an example. You roll once, for a single model and units. so Kurnoths would be 8 wounds get through, roll a D3 and then times it by that. so on a 3 you are doing 24 damage, only rolling once.

thats not what the faq says at all though...

..so methinks he needs to write it that way then :P 

other wise its each weapon....

again....personally i think that whole section should be deleted

The change making units only fill out one itms within a battalion directly contradicts other FAQ rulings.  Weird.

The Spyreheart change to the scroll itself is surprising but in light of the prior clarifications it makes sense.

I think it's because this led to a whole mess of contradictions. They've fixed the problem you identified with the Daughters of Khaine example.

39 minutes ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

Well that settles the use of abilities from a phase into another..

If by settles, you mean that you need to look at every single unit ability, internal buff, external buff, target shield, target defence buff and so on to check whether it is confined to a particular phase, then it is settled.

This is a stealth buff to Kunning Rukk as their shooting in the hero phase does receive all their (non-phase dependent) buffs like Damned, Bellowing Tyrant, the reroll 1s to hit buff, the exploding attacks on sixes buff, and the Spirits plus 1 to hit buff; but, their Target cannot benefit from a shield that only works "in the shooting phase".

5 minutes ago, Nico said:

I think it's because this led to a whole mess of contradictions. They've fixed the problem you identified with the Daughters of Khaine example.

Agreed, which I am thankful for. 

It just kills my soul that the TK battalion isn't flexible at all with the Tomb King that must be included (no Royal Warsphinx/Settra any longer, etc.) and that all early battalions (those released more than 8 months ago or so) haven't been formatted to take into account the keyword as bold distinction, so they have to be played strait (which makes many of them either uninteresting or overcosted).

6 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

It just kills my soul that the TK battalion isn't flexible at all with the Tomb King that must be included (no Royal Warsphinx/Settra any longer, etc.) and that all early battalions (those released more than 8 months ago or so) haven't been formatted to take into account the keyword as bold distinction, so they have to be played strait (which makes many of them either uninteresting or overcosted).

I honestly don't get what that rule changed.  Can I get an "explain like I'm 5" example of where it ruins older battalions released like > 8 months or so?

Tom you could probably rely on the more specific FAQ to rescue the Tomb King = Settra rule. It's not like they deleted that part of the FAQ and it's more specific to the question at hand.

I'm feeling the pain for all the Destruction factions that aren't BCR, Bonesplitterz or Ironjawz. #LongLivetheHoodedVillain

Netters getting comped (at least before I copied Darran Palmer and converted mine). Sigh! 

All fanatics must be released simultaneously, which could mean that even if they seemingly are different units of Fanatics all units must be released simultaneously (which seems to conflict with the clear multiple assassins clarification also introduced in this FAQ).

Do they really mean that multiple units of Fanatics are sucked out all at once, or just that if you declare a single unit of 6, you have to deploy all 6. However, you can still have a 6, a 2 and a 1 as 3 separate units.

Archived