Metal vs plastic. What's your opinion

Kramer

I've compared some of my miniatures on sprues from circa 2004 (Ogre Leadbelchers), bought this month, to the crisp detail on the new Thousand Sons models, and it's night and day.

And even the Leadbelchers are worlds better than the old plastics that had essentially one sculpt. s-l1000.jpg

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm becoming nostalgic in my old age (31 is old, right?), but I love those goofy old mono-pose models with questionable details.

Harkons back to a simpler time where men were men and something something something.

I kind of lost where I was going with that.

2 hours ago, Criti said:

Maybe I'm becoming nostalgic in my old age (31 is old, right?), but I love those goofy old mono-pose models with questionable details.

Harkons back to a simpler time where men were men and something something something.

Can I just say that this is my favorite post of the day?

Plastic all the way. If I never have to pin a metal model again it'd be too soon. Plastic assembles easier and holds up so much better to the wear and tear of transport and gameplay.  I always felt like I'd have to reassemble bits and pieces of half my army before playing a tourney in the old days.

As someone who plays more than just AoS:

Plastic

Resin/Superglue Needing Plastics

Finecast

Metal

Basically, I hate anything that requires superglue. And while I understand there's a special place in hell set aside for Finecast, Metal models require twice work to only get the same results.

About the assembling. I never have had any issues with metal, even the chipping hasn't been much of an issue. It's actually one of the things I like in metal. To have same amount of detail in plastic the models need to be in million parts and I hate the assembling of regular troopers from lots of parts. with metal and resin it's usually the matter of gluing 2-3 pieces together with some filing and Off you go. Of course stuff like large monsters is totally different case. 

Hey,

Like many in this thread who have been gaming for any length of time (20 years in my case) I used to have a very strong preference for metal, even going back as little as a couple of years. The weight of a unit of 40 metal Executioners in a movement tray with slate on the bases is something quite special (or at least I used to think so, sounds awful now!). I've never actually owned a Finecast model having actively avoided the material (sourcing expensive older metal versions in some cases).

I don't have a problem with a good quality resin like Mierce, Kingdom Death or Forgeworld. The extra prep is a bit of a pain but you're usually rewarded by some grandiose centrepiece model with exquisite detail. If you had to do a whole army with resin it might be a bit of a pain.

Restic is literally the worst thing and should be avoided like the plague.

Nowadays though, my preference is very much for plastic - specifically GW plastics, to the point I'm a bit of a snob about other companies miniatures (even those with lovely sculpts or games I enjoy). GW are absolutely streets ahead in terms of design and production. As someone who used to hate miniature assembly, I have to say I've done a complete U-turn. The latest kits are a joy to assemble and I often find myself marvelling at the ingenuity and engineering of these kits. The way some of the monsters fit together is outstanding.

All of this goes hand in hand with army transport. No longer do I need big cumbersome and expensive Battlefoam cases with custom cut outs for all my big metal conversions. I can stick a couple of magnets on the bottom of even my biggest plastic models and whack them in a plastic storage box (magnetised) and am ready to do.

Crazy how far things have come along over the years really...that said, I definitely do still have a soft spot for some of the older metal sculpts out there.

On 12/22/2016 at 2:28 AM, Criti said:

HAha, hope not that makes me almost old :S

Archived