What are your 2017 Objectives?

Marc Wilson

I've had a pretty nice hobby year. Real life has got in the way quite often; I guess I have to shoulder some of the blame for that ha ha! So, whilst nearly dying of hyperthermia waiting for a none existent train, I consider my AOS year to come...

1 - I aspire to be fairly competitive.  I'm bald and have a back like a matted fleece, hence I must surely have a testosterone overload. For this reason I yearn for a top 16 rankings place and a spot at the Masters. Can it be done? Maybe if...

2 - My wife and children have photographs of me, surely they can just look adoringly at them for two or three days, six times a year? I'd love to do six 2-day tournaments. I'm already signed up for two so fingers crossed. I have wife points in the bank.

3 - I found in 2016 I had massive gaps between games, these being limited pretty much to tournaments. I really need to go to club nights once of twice a month to keep things ticking over, or have people over at the house. Bit cautious on this one, so will set a low bar at 15 club nights a year.

4 - This should be number one really... I need to finish painting my stormcast to a good standard! I don't get a tonne of time at home to hobby so I'm not planning any other armies - that would be wildly optimistic! - maybe a few dips into other Order units. Oh, and add snow to all my terrain. Ultimately, if I get a single 'Best' or 'Coolest' nomination I will be delighted!

5 - After relocating to the seaside, I haven't fully unpacked into my hobby room. Sorting it out would be nice, and is desirable but might suffer due to 1-4!

Thats me; what about you? :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are another one of these jammy gits with a "hobby room"! 

Great idea for a post

Mine are as follows:

1. Assemble and paint a beastclaw raiders force to take to Athena games, TITANS event in march
  2. Play more games as I never get to play!
  3. Work on my 1k army project, fully converted ogres for Realmhoppers
  4. Increase my painting standard to one where people don't recoil in horror when i lay out a mini
  5. Start a new army with a 2017 release army.

Reckon we're all going to have similar goals :D

1 - Put together and paint a small Death force in the first couple of months of the year (models arrive Friday), really looking forward to a new play style

2 - Same as 1 but for a 30k/40k Ad Mech force.  It's been "ongoing" for far too long

3 - Sort out my office/hobby room properly, including clearing out some more cupboard space and sorting out my mountain of random models/bits.  This really needs to be #1 but I can't see it ;) 

4 - Paint the remaining 800ish points of my Khorne force so I've a full 2k+ painted

5 - Attend more tournaments, including a doubles AoS event towards the end of the year at WHW

6 - Get more games in!  Finally have a few local people and a club to go to occasionally - hopefully this will also lead into me becoming a better general

7 - Have a better year than 2016 which seems to have been utterly naff for nearly everybody I know

Great topic.  I'll make a note in my calendar to revisit this at Christmas 2017 and see how everyone did.

Here are mine.  The magic of thinking BIG eh! If I hit all 3 of these it will be incredible.  If I manage to do 1 of them it would still have been an awesome year.

1. Become a full time gamer. 

This means I can make enough money from my hobby related things, and also passive income from other businesses, to be a a full time gamer and spend all my hours in a week making and doing awesome hobby things.  expanding on Scenery Dice, running events, making new hobby products and other hair-brained schemes like.... 

2. Open a gaming centre.

This as been a dream for years but never a goal.  Maybe its time I went for it! 

3. Run the worlds biggest Age of Sigmar event.  

Those pesky SCGT guys are currently no1.  I can soon get @Dan Heelan assassinated :) 200+ Players playing AoS.  This would be amazing. 

What does everyone else have planned? 

Great idea!

I think for myself it's more extending on current objectives I had for 2016 and continue them in 2017.

1. Play at a tourney maybe? This is something new and I need to find the time and place to go to one (having a girlfriend working half weekends does tend to complicate things if there are still kids about)

2. Keep going on with my Stormcast Eternals, maybe making it to a full Warrior Chamber.

3. Keep playing more, once a month at the GW store which I try to do already and maybe some more games at home with some of my gaming buddy's

4. This is an "if" doing more work on my Free People when we get to know a little more about them (own Battletome would be awesome..)

5. Keep on painting my other assorted stuff.

6. Might need to fledge out another army to compete against my own Stormcast as those are constantly picked by my 7 year old daughter to play with and I get annihilated every time..

Hmm, let's see...

1. Keep up to date with new AoS releases, including painting them (just got the Beastclaw Raiders to do at the moment, but I fear the new Tzeentch releases may set me back a little).

2. Complete the Realmgate Wars campaign - only got All-Gates to do!

3. Assassinate an enemy Hero with my Knight-Venator. In 18 months (100+ games) I have not been able to do it...

4. Get into the top 10% at the GT.

Love the idea of setting Hobby goals. For me, mine will be:

1. Get my Dark Elves to a point I can take them to a tournament. The last tournament I took them too was early in January 2016 I think; pre-GHB and grand alliance Order. As such, with the new mini factions I need to rejig my army a bit to make it a little more coherent. I'm going to go down the route of focusing on Darkling Covens as I love Dark Aelf Sorceresses. I've got 85% of the army I want, so just a few additions needed.

Crucially though... I need to rebase my  army finally.

2. Start a new army based around a 2017 release. The new models coming out are gorgeous. I've been holding out for a Shadowkin release (because Malerion/Malekith is the one true Phoenix King and the greatest Aelf that ever strode the Old World!); but I'm not sure if I can resist many more of the new releases...

3. I recently bought a house and now have a hobby room! I've got one of the old Realm of Battle boards, but now I need to build up a decent scenery collection. I love the look of the Dragonfate Dias and Numinous Occulum. Anyone have any recommendations for some gorgeous looking terrain pieces?

Good luck to everyone else with their hobby goals!

1) Paint an average of 1 model per day.  This year, I only acheived 271 models.  I think I can get to a full 365.

2) Attend at least one organized gaming event per quarter.  Now that I finally have a job that has returned my weekends to me, I have the time to do so.

3) Recruit more players for one of the following: Age of Sigmar, DeepWars, or the Batman Miniatures Game  (at present, I've only confirm 3 other AoS players, and no players for the other games, in my town).

1. Devise and play a narrative hinterlands campaign (courtesy of @bottle's rules)

2. Finish my current map based campaign. (Always tricky to get four players together, two game days down, 2/3 to go)

3. Finish a new 1000p very conversion heavy and themed slaanesh army. A lot of progress on paper and the first orders are coming in. 

4. Add a cool centerpiece model to all my armies: Dwarfs, Skaven, Dark Elves and Ogors. 

5. Bring two more friends into the fold. I already have them in my scope. Time to pull the trigger with the afore  mentioned skirmish campaign. 

4 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Assemble and paint a beastclaw raiders force to take to Athena games, TITANS event in march

Haha, will see you there, along with the rest of the Great Yarmouth lot. :P

1) Finish painting my Death collection,
2) Convert up some fun new stuff. I wanna make a Bone Giant from an amalgam of corpses and skeletons, and some Ushabti in a similar style,
3) Do a Hinterlands campaign,
4) Get my Wood Elf force up-and-running,
5) Go to TITANS, come first place, achieve the admiration of the womenfolk,
6) Pilgrimage to Nerd Mecca Warhammer World,

Just now, CoffeeGrunt said:

Haha, will see you there, along with the rest of the Great Yarmouth lot. :P

1) Finish painting my Death collection,
2) Convert up some fun new stuff. I wanna make a Bone Giant from an amalgam of corpses and skeletons, and some Ushabti in a similar style,
3) Do a Hinterlands campaign,
4) Get my Wood Elf force up-and-running,
5) Go to TITANS, come first place, achieve the admiration of the womenfolk,
6) Pilgrimage to Nerd Mecca Warhammer World,

Yay for local people!

We cover this in the Facehammer episode we recorded on Monday. I guess I'll put some goals up bet too.

1) Get to the masters, having attended last year and narrowly missing it this year after a string of bad finishes. My goal for 2017 is to be consistently more competitive 

2) Paint an army from a different grand alliance, I have no idea what yet but I think it's about time I change it up.

3) Play more games, I am on 154 games of AoS this year. 138 of them with Stormcast so it sounds crazy that I want to play more, but I do!

4) Improve at the hobby, so get better at painting techniques that I struggle with. And also focus more and improve on the table.

I guess that will do for now...
Hopefully these are all things I can work towards.

So hopefully GW wont release anything I feel compelled to heavily invest in this year, (laughs).  This will give me chance to catch up and complete my main goals of:

1. Optimise my collection, into nicely contained armies keeping just the stuff I really like so there is chance for me to...

2. Finish some of my smaller projects; Bloodbound, Thousand Sons, Deathwatch Kill Team Cassius, Silver Tower, Blood Bowl teams, etc.

3. Make some terrain.

Aspirational extras...

4. Paint a model to the best of my ability trying to score 8+ on CMON.

5. Enter armies on parade.

For me it's

1.) Move house so I sort out my hobby room :D 

2.) Paint up some stuff for that space game

3.) Paint up another AOS army (probably for Death)

4.) Attend some events at Warhammer World 

Main thing for me is getting into a routine where I can spend some time each week painting as I do enjoy doing it and hate having to cram it all into a few days to finish an army for an event.

My goal is simple but complicated: Grow the AOS community at my GW (it's still mainly 40k) and push narrative/fun games over competitive type games.  Also to build up another army (Nurgle currently but with how indecisive I am it could change).

Assuming the Nurgle army, my second goal is for Armies on Parade to do a special Nurgle diorama and try to compete in that this year.

Interesting timing actually. Just had a look through my game book and I've managed 87 games this year most in a tournament setting. Works out at 54/15/18 w/d/l so deffinately want to improve on the win ratio going into next year. 

1.  Beat bonesplitterz (just once would be ok).

2. 340 rankings points which should get me to masters again next year

3. Lead team England to success at the first AOS 6 nations. 

1. Stop worrying about painting 'well' so much that it stops me painting at all. Just paint some more minis. By the end of the year I'd like to be consistently playing with painted minis - to whatever standard. 

2. Own at least one of each mini in the death range (or a decent proxy for the crappy old ones) (and possibly excluding the black coach as it's pointless) (excluding compendium) - hopefully that's enough qualifiers to make it achievable!

3. Continue to grow our own local scene

4. Make and paint some scenery 

Archived