Advice Needed - Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord

Craptrain

So I've decided to make Tamurkhan's Horde my next project and want to start on the big man himself.  Problem is, my painting isn't the best (I have chronic shaking in my hands) so I'm definitely in need of some advice.  I'd really love to do a color scheme similar to this one:  

Tamurk3.jpg

I guess my first major question would be color selection.  I'm guessing Rakarth Flesh for the underbelly, Death World Forest for the lighter green, and Castellan Green for the darker, all shaded with Athonian Camoshade?  Would dry brushing or layering be the way to go here (or a mixture of the two)?  Which colors would be best for the dry brushing/layering?

I'm feeling like I might have bitten off more than I can chew...

i wouldn't paint it with washes. I'm just starting mine out now at the moment so we are in the same boat. I'd suggest  if you really want to copy this one then find as many angles or images of it as possible and blow it up on a large screen and spend as long as possible going over it and looking at what he's done. also spend an hour looking at pictures of frogs and toads and video of them to see how they move and look etc

My personal fav is Karol Rudyks one which is a bit more saturated and green like a frog. this one is a bit more muted and toad like which isn't a bad thing.

The stripes are airbrushed on it I and the blend between green and cream is too, and the rest is brush work. I would paint the fleshy areas with a couple layers ie dark and light over the top, then watery shades / washes to bring out the folds in the skin, and the hard areas ie scales with drybrushing, and also give the skin a bit of drybrushing and finally some edging and fine detail brush layering to pick out those folds and give them more definition.

I can't tell you exactly what colors they used, but the generic nurgle colors are castellan green, straken green, nurgling green. Those stripes look like castellan green airbrushed on for the darker areas and elysian green for the lighter green. athonian camoshade is great for shading greens with but its very dark and bluey green. for the flesh Id build up from a darker base to a lighter cream then once its brighter than I want it I would shade it back down a bit . the scales I'd drybrsh, perfect for it, and finish with some edge highlights and brush work.

its a really fun model don't be intimidated, just break it down into smaller pieces, experiment on the tail first and once you got the skin down you are sorted. you can always go back over it. I just painted some plague drones 3 times over because I didn't like the colors.

I'm doing some plague drones first then moving onto mine over xmas, I've got the base all made up and ready for water effects, going to look sweet, I just wish I had my airbrush with me, really need one for that size of model, but not the end of the world

If you washed the whole model it'll be easy to do but look very stylised. Duncan suggests it on the WHTV vids for Nurgle flesh. It's good for flesh but for metals and scales and things you will want to work on them a bit more.

Just to throw in that FW rarely just stick to one paint brand, so you're likely looking at a model that has Vallejo paints being used in addition to others.  @James McPherson is bang on the money in saying that a large portion of the model has been airbrushed which is how they've achieved the blending on the stripes.

One tip I'll throw in, is once you've got your base colours down, apply a light coat of gloss varnish before you apply the washes.  You'll find the washes run more smoothly into the folds and crevices and won't "taint" the base colour.  You can easily matte it down towards the end of the project to remove the shine.

Archived