Substitute Warscrolls

Slick_Kid

Below is the letter I wrote GW hoping to get a formal response from them. I haven't heard back yet, but in the meantime I'd like to hear what you all think. 

"Dear GW,

I would like to inquire and see what the official ruling is on how to include or use the substitute warscrolls included in the back of some of the compendiums? ie. If I were to take the Bretonnians to battle and wanted to take a Bretonnian Lord on Hippogryph, how would I treat it? As it is recommended to just take the Louen Leonceour warscroll. If so, one could never take King Leonceour and a Lord on Hippogryph, correct? One also could never take a Lord on Hippogryph as your general and give him an artifact or command trait as you cannot give them to unique character warscrolls nor duplicate unique characters in matched play. May you please clarify the ruling for this in matched play? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated to so many of us long lived Bretonnian players and the other Realms from the compendium. Thank you so much!"

What do you guys think? How would you rule this? Would it be possible to create ones own warscroll for units/heroes like this?

You can always create your own Warscroll, just do not expect everyone to let you use it as we are talking about homebrew rules. As for the substitute, this is exactly what it sounds like. The isn't a Lord on Hippogryph anymore in the official ruleset. As such, you will only ever have one character on Hippogryph. The next best Lord comes on a Horse. This is an unfortunate side effect of the swap to AoS. Older, now likely unsupported armies are incomplete compared to their previous iterations.

I’ve created a number of custom warscrolls that people don’t seem to have issue with.

Most of the time it’s a case of using another scroll as a base, example being the old Bretonnian Crossbowmen:  Use the Empire version of the Crossbowmen and add the Bretonnian Command to it. 

My Favourite custom job was Repanse

repans10.jpg

Oh wow! 

That is a very cool idea for Repanse. I might have to adopt that idea. May you perhaps share some of the other warscrolls you have invented? I could perhaps try and come up with some more warscrolls that were missing in the back substituted warscrolls. 

Archived