First time magnetizing

AAL

So I am about to try to magnetize some units for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any tutorials or websites with recommendations that they prefered? I will be doing this probably with AoS and 40k figures so the tutorials don't have to be AoS specific.

Thanks!

Highly recommend these magnets super strong and very cheap.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/252897085/100pcs-3mm-x-1mm-18-x-132-inches-n-52?ref=shop_home_feat_2
As far as the method, I started by drilling 3mm holes(or whatever size your going with) into the torsos. Be careful not to drill clear through the model. That's why I really like those 3mmx1mm, if you do start to punch through of course stop drilling and use green stuff to fill the hole and place the magnet in right after so it'll sit flush with the torso. Then just fill the indent in the arm with a very small amount of green stuff. Align the arm with the torso and fill in the rest of the space around the magnet and scrape of any excess.
It's super easy to do. I'll shortly begin the process of magnetizing my battle force box shortly, one pack of those magnets last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, BelgianBeerBear said:

Highly recommend these magnets super strong and very cheap.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/252897085/100pcs-3mm-x-1mm-18-x-132-inches-n-52?ref=shop_home_feat_2
As far as the method, I started by drilling 3mm holes(or whatever size your going with) into the torsos. Be careful not to drill clear through the model. That's why I really like those 3mmx1mm, if you do start to punch through of course stop drilling and use green stuff to fill the hole and place the magnet in right after so it'll sit flush with the torso. Then just fill the indent in the arm with a very small amount of green stuff. Align the arm with the torso and fill in the rest of the space around the magnet and scrape of any excess.
It's super easy to do. I'll shortly begin the process of magnetizing my battle force box shortly, one pack of those magnets last forever.

I was going to say that's a really good price for them until I realised there was £11 postage :D  I get all my magnets from: http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/neodymium_magnets/circular_disc_magnets.aspx.  There is a "grade" drop down so you can lower the grade too (works out a little cheaper) - and tick the inc vat box ;).

If the magnet will be hidden you don't need to bother with green stuffing the gap, simply superglue it into the hole.  It's very difficult to get a decent finish with green stuff too, so Magic Sculpt or Milliput is a better choice (just use sandpaper or an emery board to smooth it as a metal file causes "issues")

I'll also say that it's really easy to get "magnet happy" and start magnetising everything, ask yourself if it's worth it and make sure you don't magnetise anything that you may knock during a game - nothing more frustrating than picking up a model by it's head/banner/sword to find it falls off and sprays model limbs across the board.

Yeah didn't think about U.K. postage. Living in the US it was fortunately free shipping for me. I had to resort to green stuff since I've building orcs and their arms are beefy enough the indent really needed to be filled. Everything is hidden for me so I don't have to worry about it showing. I've never used those other two materials but I going to trying sculpting some other stuff, do you recommend those for anything visible? I've really only used green stuff for more structural things when adding things on or magnets but want to take a swing at sculpting. So I've never needed to paint it, any other recommendations for alternative materials? Probably getting sidetracked now haha

Archived