Hinterlands: Skirmish Campaigns in the Mortal Realms

bottle

Great feedback man. I'm hoping that there can be a module/layer at some point that allows for granular progression. In Renown and Ruin, the warband is equivalent to a D&D character. So as the warband grows and gains new followers, its like the hero is gaining those skills. 

I'd be interested in hearing more about your idea of what you mean by 'weak' hero having a warband that's 'too much' for them. Are you thinking narratively? For instance one of our heroes is a warchanter and another is a aether navigator. I think it's suitable for them to lead an warband of as many as 10 or 20 followers as on the AoS battlefield they could be leading 3-4x that many soldiers. Also, in a narrative game, that navigator or warchanter accomplishes things that become real parts of their story. They're no longer a generic underling of a greater hero. Perhap, per the first part of your statement, you are interested in a stat change that helps signify that. In Renown or Ruin ATM, those deeds are what justify the larger warband and wielding more powerful relics.

Love that these discussions are already starting.

• Like 1

@StoneMonk loving the discussion as well.  The more I thought about it the more I don't know if I stand by my other comment anymore.

I was coming from a place of, lets take a Necromancer, its kind of silly if he has a wight king and 2 vampires following him around. Those dudes are more powerful than him lore and statwise, why in the world would they let him be in charge? It also kind of sucks that if your warband becomes more elite/powerful (lets say two varghulfs, 2 vampire lords, and 12 grave guard) and the general is really weak in combat/spell casting.

HOWEVER

There are a bunch of narrative ways to make it make sense. Just like you said, his deeds on the battlefield or as a commander give him influence and the others trust/want to follow him. Or the owe a blood debt to him or whatever.

HOWEVER

Part of me also thinks the Necromancer would get some better armor or spells or abilities or something as he gains influence through his actions on the battlefield. Maybe its stuff he loots of the dead or his warband gives him. This may be addressed in the relic system you mention.

You talk about the warband being the RPG character, I totally love that but still feel like as the "character" progresses, the general is gonna gain something beyond just influence. Pretty much just a bunch of rambling here. But what I do know is that I totally agree about not getting super granular. For me, at least, I don't want to be altering stats of every member of the warband. The general? I'm OK with altering there stats or abilities or something. But not for the 4 different handgunners I have in the warband.

• Like 2

@StoneMonk, lol good question! I don't know the answer to that yet! In the one I'm working on there is a lot less general/character freedom. Everybody has to start with a necromancer as their general and will then have a chance to have them "transform" into a vampire or flesh eater ghoul king based on a choice they make in a scenario. Hopefully, the story in it is interesting enough to make up for those limitations!

For a wider ruleset where players can be whatever alliance and hero they want, I'm not sure. Maybe some sort of title system that then gives them the option to become more powerful or something.  I think this developer diary on the new 40k roleplay that Ulisses is working on is a unique take on the issue we are talking about, http://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-designer-diary-december-2017/.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smoth said:

I am confused? I came here specifically for this ruleset and find nothing? is it really dead? malign portents seems "meh" was looking forward to more depth to my guys!

There will be no more updates to hinterlands it seems but, several people have created their own systems based on it and there is still a link to the ruleset somewhere in the thread.

I will dig through all 11 pages then. I am unsure where I should go, trying to prep materials for my group tomorrow(going to a print shop and printing them if I can all nice and bound for our group if I can but in need to get the proper rule sets ready to print for tommorrow, including at least a cursory proof reading.

I expected the malign portents book to be more detailed than it is but as it stands you practically need 1 guy to come up with a campaign for a fairly limited set of characters(the harbingers) so it might be enough to have some of our more tenative participants lose interest. Which could suck.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, GuitaRasmus said:

THANK YOU! is this the latest? do I need other files as well? i would like to get everything together and I would hate to miss something as I will be going to great expense for our group to have documents ready.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, GuitaRasmus said:

I think it's the latest version, and it should be all that you need. 

Pardon the shameless plug, but I encourage you to check out https://aos28warband.blogspot.dk  It's a skirmish expansion for AoS that I've been working on, which is based on Hinterlands, but evolved quitea bit. :) 

This Warband project looks cool.  I had tried out Hinterlands before, and enjoyed it. I will be checking this new version out.

• 1 year later...

gosh, majoring in threadomancy today - apologies ... But:

I guess there hasn't been anything more forthcoming for Hinterlands ... just had a look at Aos28: Warband, which looks beautifully done and will certainly be printing that out ... but I particularly like the 'Realm Master' aspect of Hinterlands - does anyone know of any further work specifically in that area?

* should add / edit that I've finally clued on to 'Renown or Ruin'  above in the thread and look forward to looking through that - again, beautifully done. But also, again, looks to have gone very quiet ... ?

Edited by harrocks
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
21 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Sad that this didn’t get more traction. Hinterlands, as kind of „sandboxy Mordheim with AoS rules“ is just such a great idea. Eager to try it out the following weekend!

It’s fun. I kind of died out when the author got a job at GW. He designed the current skirmish rules and I think beast of chaos and ogor mawtribes