Hinterlands: Skirmish Campaigns in the Mortal Realms

bottle

On 2/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, hellalugosi said:

Here's what i'd do to allow the large unit abilities. I'd just make it so when you level up you can take one of those abilities instead of rolling on the chart. It could represent immediate training that the model can learn. And each time they level up, they can take the next increment of the same ability if it gets stronger when you have more models.

I think this is simple enough, any thoughts?

It's a good easy solution. 

We had a thought in my gaming group about things that do d3 or d6 wounds, especially mortal wounds. Maybe they should get toned down a bit? Like d3 could be 1-2, and d6 could be d3? We just thought it could be a bit easy to one-shot most heroes and multi-wound models with let's say the Arcane bolt spell. We're probably going to try it out and apply it to mortal wounds at least. 

• Like 1

We had a thought in my gaming group about things that do d3 or d6 wounds, especially mortal wounds. Maybe they should get toned down a bit? Like d3 could be 1-2, and d6 could be d3? We just thought it could be a bit easy to one-shot most heroes and multi-wound models with let's say the Arcane bolt spell. We're probably going to try it out and apply it to mortal wounds at least. 

We are finding the same thing, I think that might be a really good solution. We now have people in our groups trying to play as many wizards as possible that have spells that are similar to arcane bolt (such as different battlemages).

We had a group of 8 players at our local store playing today, and the biggest talk of the day was how to deal with wizards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As I said above, we had 8 players playing tonight, and a a discussion up that I believe are worth talking about here.

First of all, were were thinking of maybe doing a extra underdog gambit for every 100 points you are down, rather than only gaining access to a second one if your opponent is double. For instance if you were at 150 gold and your opponent was at 250, you would get one gambit for being an underdog, and a second for being down 100 gold. I think this would help balance out things a little more for people that come in later in the campaign, especially considering there is a chance you can get nothing on your gambit. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mrmattywoodz said:

We are finding the same thing, I think that might be a really good solution. We now have people in our groups trying to play as many wizards as possible that have spells that are similar to arcane bolt (such as different battlemages).

We had a group of 8 players at our local store playing today, and the biggest talk of the day was how to deal with wizards.

You could check out my Shardsfall rules regarding wounding and taking out of action. Ive made it so saves can be taken against them, but should the roll on the table ignore saves then no saves can be taken.

You could always do it so you can save vs Mortal wounds due to the scale of the game.

Thanks! I am going to amend the wording to make it explicitly clear in the next update.

To all the players dealing with Pink Horrors, could I confirm you are using the rules of one, not using the Tzeentch spell lores, and still finding them very powerful?

I don't own any Pink Horrors so they never feature in our campaign. I am looking for finding out a little more about what makes them so difficult in games. Is it only because one gives cheap access to Arcane Bolt, or is there a reason multiple of them is difficult to deal with?

Cheers!

• Like 1

I've been having a tonne of fun with this system for a narrative campaign I'm running, and it's made a great foundation for me to build upon with more nuanced levelling systems, classes etc. I'm basically running a Hero-focused narrative about a group of bounty hunters in a setting I've drawn up. Just wanted to thank the OP for putting this great system together!

• Like 2

In terms of Pink Horrors, if you miss the fact that each spell is only meant to be cast once, you can easily dominate your opponent by shutting down their casting attempts, whilst always ensuring your own are successful by sheer number of dice rolls.

One option to limit things further is to have failed casting rolls inflict a wound on the caster, or inflict a wound if a double is rolled.

Edited by Lucio

UPDATE: 05/03/2017 VERSION 2.1

H2.1-Headline-Changes-2000px.jpg.29e5a01aac39b3f8430b5ad320e4184b.jpg

I am thrilled and honoured with the community response to Hinterlands and would like to thank all the players who have downloaded the rules and tried them out on the battlefield! :D This started out as a personal project and a challenge to myself to make something that looked like the "real-deal", the Games Workshop logo on the front cover is a relic of that humble beginning as I really never expected the rules to receive this much attention. I have decided to remove the logo to make sure everyone knows this is 100% unofficial and to make sure that no ill-intent is perceived by any party.

As I had to update the version to do that, I took the opportunity to incorporate all the FAQ clarifications into the rules :P. The rules do not play any differently to version 2.0, but I would recommend downloading the latest version so you do not have to consult the FAQ.

I do not plan regular updates like this, instead you can look forward to a big update (version 3) coming later in the year! Happy gaming in the meantime!

- bottle (Sam James)

Edited by bottle
  • Like 5

On 3/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, Lucio said:

Random question, any chance the next version could be a page count divisible by 4? Looking to get a couple of copies printed and most print options work best if that's the case.

Interesting! Yes I would definitely try to meet this with version 3. Just out of interest, the current version has 16 pages, but also has a front cover and inside cover increasing it to 18. I imagine the divisible by 4 needs to include these as its being printed softback?

9 hours ago, bottle said:

Interesting! Yes I would definitely try to meet this with version 3. Just out of interest, the current version has 16 pages, but also has a front cover and inside cover increasing it to 18. I imagine the divisible by 4 needs to include these as its being printed softback?

Yup, basically it's all the pages and then allows you to use a saddle stiched layout, so it can lie flat

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crowsfoot said:

Hi guys I played my first game yesterday with my son and we loved it, one question is the game best played on a 4x4 table?

That's great to hear! And yes that's right, a 4'x4' table with double the terrain :-) (mentioned on page 7 of Hinterlands)! :D 

• Like 2

Have there been any problems with rules/abilities that affect multiple friendly units? I'm thinking of things like the Tzaangor's Icon Bearer when surrounded by Pink Horrors or the Bloodsecrator's Rage of Khorne ability gained from the Portal of Skulls. Any thoughts of adjusting the wording of the "Rule of Three" to work with friendly abilities?

After now having played several games with my local group, I can provide a little feedback on the topics of units having rules about outnumbering and having bonuses for increased numbers.

Outnumbering works rather well without having to do really anything to the rules. If you have enough models within melee range to outnumber the opposing models, then you get to use the outnumber ability. The important thing is to keep in mind melee range on nearby models. You might think you outnumber 2-1 with a couple stormvermin, but there could be another model with a 2-3" reach just a little ways back that evens up the odds.

As for increased regiment size abilities, we played around with a few variations on this and this was the one that worked best for us.

For units that have special bonuses for regiment size, the number of units required to utilize those bonuses is divided by 5 and the bonus is only in effect while all of those models have no more than a 1" space between any two of them.

So for example, Seraphon Saurus Warriors Ordered Cohort now reads as

Ordered Cohort: Saurus are even deadlier when fighting in organised ranks. Add 1 to this unit's  hit rolls if it has at least 4 models, and 1 to the number of attacks each model makes with its Celestite weapon if it has at least 6 models. Only models that maintain a cohesion of 1" may use these benefits.

This seemed to be a good balance between allowing these units to use their regiment size abilities in a smaller scale, but still requiring a reasonable number of your 15 model limit to utilize it.

Edited by Shaloo
apparently "Unit's Hit" is censored as "Unit' ****" without some extra spacing
  • Like 4

Has anyone thought about making fluffy hinterlands friendly warscroll battalions?

My group is really into hinterlands and were always thinking of new mods to it, and one thing ive played around with is "legendary warbands". 

For example, maybe someone wants to play a pickup game of hinterlands but isnt able to commit to a campaign, or maybe you want to convey a heroic battle against a powerful group, perhaps you are mixing hinterlands with a map campaign and you want to include npc armies that you have to fight at certain locations.

So i could say, 

Sarzagol's Slaughterhood [20gp]

1 slaughterpriest (Sarzagol) [50gp]

6 blood reavers (the slaughterhood) [36gp]

2 blood warriors (Kurgan the ripper and Grindul the tearer) [40gp]

The chosen blood warriors of sarzagol protect him from all harm, ruthlessly devoted to the priest's work in the name of the blood god. If kurgan and grindul are within 3" of sarzagol at the start of any of your hero phases, you may reroll all failed save rolls until the end of the turn for both models.

Id love to see if others try making their own, i want to be able to pull from a list of warbands to populate my hinterlands world haha!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

Has anyone thought about making fluffy hinterlands friendly warscroll battalions?

My group is really into hinterlands and were always thinking of new mods to it, and one thing ive played around with is "legendary warbands". 

For example, maybe someone wants to play a pickup game of hinterlands but isnt able to commit to a campaign, or maybe you want to convey a heroic battle against a powerful group, perhaps you are mixing hinterlands with a map campaign and you want to include npc armies that you have to fight at certain locations.

So i could say, 

Sarzagol's Slaughterhood [20gp]

1 slaughterpriest (Sarzagol) [50gp]

6 blood reavers (the slaughterhood) [36gp]

2 blood warriors (Kurgan the ripper and Grindul the tearer) [40gp]

The chosen blood warriors of sarzagol protect him from all harm, ruthlessly devoted to the priest's work in the name of the blood god. If kurgan and grindul are within 3" of sarzagol at the start of any of your hero phases, you may reroll all failed save rolls until the end of the turn for both models.

Id love to see if others try making their own, i want to be able to pull from a list of warbands to populate my hinterlands world haha!

In my opinion this is fantastic idea :) perhaps if you made a set campaign pack you could create battalions that allow for a bit of wiggle-room and give a bonus that is themed around the story. I really like the battalions from the Campaign books that do this too.

This is expansion material in my opinion and not for the core rules, but it is an awesome idea! I want to do some source books or 'campaign modules' at a later date and will definitely be incorporating this idea into mine.

i had thought originally to do this as a "battletrait" but doing it as a warscroll battalion will look much cooler in my opinion.

If someone makes something cool with this, let me know so I can stick it in the OP! :D 

• Like 1

For the bravery, I thought about the rule of the old skirmish system of the 6th Edition of Battle :

During the Rout phase, if a model count less friend model than enemy model 3" arround him, make a bravery test : roll 1D6, if the result is smaller than the bravery of the model nothing happen, otherwise its next move must be a disengagement move.

A 6 is always a failure, unless the bravery is above 6, in this case, you can reroll a failed test. 

(I hope it's understandable...)