Age of Sigmar Community Champion Award 2016 - Nominations

Age of Sigmar Community Champion Award 2016 - Nominations

Introduction

Back in June, @Ben ran an episode on the Bad Dice Podcast (episode 135, check it out here) on building a community, where he talked about the importance of building a community.  The AoS scene has gone from strength to strength in 2016 and that community is such a vital part of our hobby. I, and the rest of the @TalesOfSigmar Podcast team, have really enjoyed being a part of it over the past 12 months so we wanted to go ahead with a little idea we had recently in an attempt to recognise all those fantastic people out there who do so much for the Age of Sigmar scene.

With this in mind, until 23:59 on Christmas Eve you all have the opportunity to nominate someone who you feel has gone above and beyond that of the ordinary hobbyist and deserves some recognition. We have discussed a few starter suggestions which will be included in the following post.

Nominations

If you want to make a suggestion, reply to this thread in the following format. (If you need guidance on content, check out the nominations below.

[Name(s)]

[Reason(s) for Nomination]

[Details]

Voting

From 00:01 on 25 Dec 2016 (subject to slight delay by the fact I may be asleep) until 23:59 on 31 Dec a new thread will be opened with a poll and everyone will have one week to vote for their favourite nomination. If we have too many nominations we'll conduct a bit of shortlisting and, after some discussion, put forward a select few through to poll. Following a week of voting the Age of Sigmar Community Champion Award 2016 will be awarded to the individual or team with the most votes.

That’s right! Team! In the same way that your Command Groups in your units aren’t just formed by Champions, you have Musicians and Standard Bearers of all shapes and sizes to back them up with drums, horns, flags or other assorted totems. Don’t forget that your nominations can reflect the great work of a pairing or group.

Summary

In conclusion, this is an opportunity to share the Age of Sigmar love amongst those who have worked so hard over the past year to build the foundations of this latest iteration of the game we all know and love.

For Sigmar! 

Dan, Adam and Chalmers - Tales of Sigmar Podcast

Eddie, Rob and the Warhammer TV Team

For delivering high-definition hobby awesomeness to us all over the world via YouTube and Twitch!

From “red bin revelations” (that I got VERY excited about, Magnus!) all the way to yesterday’s awesome maiden broadcast of Warhammer LIVE, the team at Warhammer TV have gone from strength to strength.  Whether you’re a Narrative Play or Matched Play type of guy or girl, there’s something here for everyone. If it’s hobby tips, release updates or insights into the studio you want, they’ve got you sorted too!

The coverage of The Warlords event at Warhammer World was the first foray into live-streaming games of Age of Sigmar and the team have even been outside of those hallowed halls in Lenton to cover an independent tournament, Blood and Glory. With coverage of the Las Vegas Open and Adepticon coming in 2017, not only am I impressed with what the team have done this year, but I’m also excited for what’s coming next year!

Steve Foote, Ming, Jimbo and Mitzy

For delivering the UK’s first large-scale independent Narrative Play event – “Realms at War: Legends 2016”

Realms at War: Legends 2016 was the brain child of EATMingsFoote, a quartet of like-minded hobbyists bringing Narrative events to the Age of Sigmar independent tournament scene in the UK. RAW16 was their first narrative event where Aspirants grew in fame and strength over the course of a weekend, hoping to achieve Legendary status over six unique Battleplans of varying point sizes.

RAW16 was a hobby-oriented event, where awesome armies got to play over unique battlefields that were specifically modelled to represent various Realms. It was their goal to have the best tables in the UK Independent tournament scene, and having followed the event from Twitter it certainly looked stunning.

Dan Heelan, Wayne Kemp, Russ Veal (DWR)

For developing the South Coast Grand Tournament comp pack, running the first AoS SCGT and for contributing to the General’s Handbook

Some communities and large events looked to other systems with the advent of AoS, others have embraced it fully. Dan, Wayne and Russ were all big into the Warhammer Fantasy Battle scene and the South Coast Grand Tournament has been the largest WHFB singles event since 2009. It could have easily had square bases and movement trays in some form in 2016, but the team put on one of the best tournaments of the year and paved the way for even more success in 2017. Not only did they run the event itself, but way before, the team got together and created  the SCGT Comp pack which was arguably the most adaptive comp pack out there, giving the greatest granularity in points variations. For those of you who have only joined us since the release of the General’s Handbook, SCGT comp formed one of the key components of the GHB recipe, now immortalised in the books we use to game.

Ben Curry

For creating The Grand Alliance forum and contributing to the General’s Handbook

Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, forums. Never has the hobbyist had so many options available to him to share, view and discuss hobby related content. Ben, on top of hosting the Bad Dice Podcast, creating Scenery Dice and running events, created this very forum for us all to have a place to share and enjoy the hobby, without getting pounced on by over-zealous Facebook admins or those who don’t enjoy AoS as much as we do! TGA  has become the go-to place for those wishing to discuss all things AoS, from face-smashingly good lists all the way to blogging your army's progress. Not only this, but Ben also played a key role in the creation of the General's Handbook as one of the Podcast Eternals

Duncan Rhodes

For his delivery of accessible and useful painting tutorials on YouTube

Description to follow

Mo Ashraf

For Clash Comp, pioneering the community comp movement

Description to follow

Scrollbuilder Tony

For designing, building and developing www.scrollbuilder.com

Description to follow

Vince Venturella @warhammerweekly (on Twitter) and Thomas Lyons @Thomas Lyons

• For Warhammer Weekly every Wednesday on YouTube.
  • The Google + Community
  • Ridonculous painting and conversions from them both!
  • The incredibly useful Hobby Cheating series.
  • Banter.
  • Depth.
  • Wit
  • Soul.
  • Encouraging others through competitions and community projects.
  • Smashing it up at tournaments.
  • March of the Tomb Kings! 
  • Thomas for innovative list building here on TGA, on his own channel and his collaborations with @Mc1gamer on his YouTube channel.

I do not understand how you put out so much ace content, paint so much to such a high standard while working and without a pack of Clanrats and Nurglings respectively to support you. I'm sure I've missed several things off the list.

Tyler Mengel @Mengel Miniatures

• For producing quality Non Official content for Tomb Kings (I don't even play Tomb Kings but appreciate the amount of work gone into this
  • For Hobby tutorials
  • For Reviews
  • For being super approachable in private about hobby and narrative related questions.

The Mortal Realms @StoneMonk and Davy

• For their work in telling the story and advocating narrative play.
  • For the free download of Great looking tokens
  • For helping me out and the RAW guys out in tokens for Narrative Events even though we are on the other side of the pond.

I will also second @Dangermouse425 with nominating SCGT guys, RAW guys and Ben Curry (for the best forum a war gamer could need.

Hobbyhammer @HobbyHammer

For providing AoS Campaigns, Battleplans, hobby and tutorials non-stop.

Sean has been a great asset to the Age of Sigmar community, putting on special campaigns to help people along building and painting armies as well as creating his own battleplans for people to use. As some of your know he has his Realm Hoppers Narrative Event in February and he's putting in so much effort to make it a debut success I cannot wait to be a part of it. His website which has terrain and painting tutorials is great to read and he has so much enthusiasm I cannot wait to see what he pulls out the bag in 2017.

Fantastic

Second on everyone that has been mentioned so far. Mo Ashraf should never have to buy his own drink at any event ever again. 

I'm going to put up a few of my personal heroes.

@Holy Hammer Hern for running Holy Wars II using Age of Sigmar and taking a chance with his second event to jump to a new system during such a divisive time.

Likewise Alex Gonzalez who runs Adepticon probably took the most personal ****** over the last year from the community split for sticking to Age of Sigmar at such a prominent event. 

@Darth Alec for the amazing end times battletome 

@hobbyhammer for the Rise of Empire :Time of the Beast - online global escalation campaign that helped a lot of people paint new armies. Also the upcoming Realmhoppers event in the UK is gonna further the narrative.

Scrollbuilder.com builder (i don't know if he's on here) deserves some props for easy peasy army building.

@scrubbyandwells for his AoS resource list 

(tagging people wasn't working so smoothly for this post.)

I would like to nominate Alex Gonzalez

Alex is the TO for Adepticon AoS, Blood in the Sun AoS, Waaghpaca AoS, and the Scr3w City GT.

He is, IMO, the single largest reason for the success of large scale tournament Age of Sigmar in the Midwest United States (if not a larger scale).

Adepticon this year is DOUBLE the attendance last year already. This is a direct result of community building, something he works very hard to do.

Great initiative! There's loads of people deserving of a nomination already and it feels like categories could be created to celebrate the various aspects of our hobby, so more people could 'win'?

Also, I propose that GW invite the nominees and winners to a party at WHW and get it live-streamed ;)

Just now, Thornshield said:

Great initiative! There's loads of people deserving of a nomination already and it feels like categories could be created to celebrate the various aspects of our hobby, so more people could 'win'?

Also, I propose that GW invite the nominees and winners to a party at WHW and get it live-streamed ;)

Having seen the amount of nominees, we may look to categorise them, like Hobby, Gaming, etc and potentially have a "Community-person of the year" overall award. Just an idea, will have a think!

Love this idea and the nominations so far. Here's a few more.

Nominations:

Tabletop Minions - Adam:

The Black Sun - @Chris Tomlin:

• For hosting a top podcast, running Rain of Stars, and being the Ultimate Megaboss
  • His Ironjawz thread is one of the best at TGA; he's one of the top posters in general
  • There's no one like Chris in the community; amazing guy; and his Ironjawz army is phenomenal

Honorable Mentions:

Tales of Sigmar - @Dangermouse425, Chalmers, and Adam:

• For hosting both an outstanding podcast and blog
  • Their early efforts also inspired quite a few to paint new AoS armies

Nico - @Nico:

• For being an incredible source of analysis/insight/advice
  • He's the top content creator at TGA (by a wide margin!)

Tabletop Minis

• For producing arguably the best AoS batreps on YouTube
  • They were tremendously influential early on; and they're now back

Tronhammer - @Tronhammer NZ:

Age of Sigbrah - Gary, Andy, and Monty:

• For hosting consistently one of the most enjoyable, positive podcasts

Frontline Gaming - Reece and co.:

• For coming around on AoS and going all in, especially with Las Vegas Open 2017

Rolling Bad - @Elric, James, and Bill:

• For hosting one of the most well-rounded, informative podcasts

Brian Prue and Aaron Bostian@Bostian:

• For bringing AoS to NOVA Open in 2016 and 2017

John Boulter and Matt Egan:

• For keeping the biggest AoS Facebook group a nice place to visit

Lots of real community leaders. Ben Curry, Vince Venturella, Tyler Emerson are all natural leaders and rallying points for us less dedicated hobbyists.

Scroll builder guy could get overlooked on this as he doesn't seem very vocal, but his website is awesome and he has provided a sorely needed and unique tool for the community. 

At the end of the day hard to argue with Rob and Eddie taking it though. They've been Sigmar's hammer coming down and forging the rest of the community together, if that makes any sense. The community was desperate for this kind of official GW leadership and direction. Their social media work and pushing the envelope on what the company offers, at such an astounding pace too, has to take a lot of credit for AoS's newfound success and enthusiasm.

Morning,

What a lovely idea! I'm a fan. Some great nominations so far, but I want to bring it a little closer to home for my nomination;

@Paul Buckler

For building a thriving gaming club in the unlikeliest of locations and introducing a whole group of players to the wider online/tournament community. He's also the nicest guy you'll meet or play at Warhammer and is an absolute monster when it comes to cranking out army after army.

Paul runs a gaming club from his home in deepest darkest Dorset, providing up to 8+ full size tables with terrain. He also has a plethora of armies adorning his shelves which he is only too happy to lend out to veterans (@ChippyRick owes some of his success this year due to Paul's generosity) and newcomers alike. He keeps a well stocked beer fridge and charges a negligible amount for people to come down, play and drink until their hearts are content.

He's built a truly special place, welcoming players new or returning to the game as well as the likes of me and the rest of The Black Sun crew, plus the Age of Sigbrah guys, creating a varied, friendly and ever growing community.

This year he has attended a bunch of tournaments, encouraging a load of guys who would previously have considered themselves only "club gamers" to take part and find out that tournaments are great places to be. He's picked up a couple of sports trophies already and is becoming increasingly well known for doing well with obscure and off the wall builds (Daughters of Khaine, Bloodtribe and now Clan Eshin). His knowledge of the game is great and he loves imparting that knowledge on those around him - I swear he lives and breathes Warhammer. I have no doubt that with a tougher list and bit of a mean streak he could be consistently challenging at the top, but Paul's just too nice a guy!

Whilst this may seem a more localised nomination, it is definitely justified in my opinion. Paul Buckler is undoubtedly a community champion and anyone who has had the pleasure to meet or play him at an event this year will agree. He even went along with me and @Cowboy Boots Matt essentially renaming his club as the Dorset Doggers! What a guy - Top Dogger for sure.

Anyway, thanks Paul, on a personal level you've genuinely helped make this year in Warhammer my best ever.

*As an addendum, many of you may know Paul on Twitter, where he posts as @WarhammerGC 

Roger from WarhammerTV.

If you speak to Duncan, Rob or any of the team, they'll all tell you that Roger is not only a driving force behind WarhammerTV, but he's the reason it exists.  He was the one who conceived and pushed it to the GW top brass, got the funding, team and everything to create what has allowed hundreds of people to interact with GW in a friendly and modern manner (Social Media, Twitch, Community website etc).  The live streams have catapulted interest in AoS into the stratosphere and regularly support a number of community leaders (many of whom have received nominations) which in turn has ratified those communities into something anyone can get behind because they're "OK" with GW rather than running in parallel.  I quite honestly believe that without Roger's hard work (he's the one who cracks the whip to Rob, Eddie and Duncan) we'd not be at the point with AoS we are for another couple of years.

This is a great idea and it's amazing to see so many names being put into it. It's really has been a great year for the community when reviewed like this  

I really appreciate the shout out for Me Wayne and Russ on the TO front (although I like to the think the podcastising, especially through those early 'dark' days probably brought more to the wider community than our event!) so thank you.

Look forward to seeing more this thread, and maybe again next year as I think 2017 so going to be a belter of a year for the AOS community.

D

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Morning,

What a lovely idea! I'm a fan. Some great nominations so far, but I want to bring it a little closer to home for my nomination;

@Paul Buckler

@ChippyRick

@Cowboy Boots Matt

Anyway, thanks Paul, on a personal level you've genuinely helped make this year in Warhammer my best ever.

Wow, never in a million years expected a mention here.  Thanks for all your kind works @Chris Tomlin.  Has been an amazing year for me, from my first event down in Weymouth, through Warlords, and RAW, finishing off at AgeofSanta.  AOS truly re-started my hobby and hopefully I am able to bring a few along for the ride.

More than a few mate!  There were 10 of us from club at Age of Santa by the end of the year including 5 newbies to the fantasy tournie scene.  One of them is a top 40k tournie player but said this first AOS event was his most chilled favourite tournie ever.  

For all the reasons Chris mentioned, Paul would deffo get my nomination but I'm biased as been hanging around club like a bad smell for about 6 years now (although this was my first year of tournies, bit late starting but got 3 under my belt over last couple of months).

I would however like to cast the net slightly wider and back two other nominations - The Black Sun and Age of Sigbrah.  A number of us previously "club gamers" have had our eyes opened to the wider community via them kinda just turning up at club one day and them mentioning podcasts and us giving it a listen, and it just ran from there..... 

also massive kudos for the others that have been mentioned by everyone else.  via Paul, then TBS and AoSB, then the rest of you, here's one previous Luddite "club gamer" who is now "online" at places like here, and also attending tournies in 2017 including Tommorrow Burns, Sheffield Slaughter, Partners in Chaos so far booked with more sure to follow (and hoping to return to RAW if I get lucky, coz that was an epic event and they also deserve a special mention - the hype around that event was like a whirlwind and it delivered)

so basically, thanks to all you guys mentioned by everybody, on behalf of all newbies to the AOS scene, which you've all helped us access for the reasons mentioned ? - 

Archived