A Call to Order (& now death) - my painting blog

Orange

Hey all,

Long-time gamer, but recent convert to Age of Sigmar.

I played in a 8th ed tournament just before AoS was released, and had such a bad time that I wasn't terribly upset with the demise of the Warhammer world. I had been planning to build a Dark Elf army up until this point, and had collected a bunch of models with the intention of putting it together for 8th ed. But when AoS dropped, I decided to bide my time and to see what happened once the dust settled.

And sure enough, the General's Handbook came out and some of my friends convinced me to give it a go, and I loved it at once.

I still have my Dark Elfs, but I decided to buy some Sylvaneth first, knowing that I can paint and use my elves with the Sylvaneth as well as wait for whatever they decide to do with Aelfs. I've actually got a lot of Order-flavoured models hanging around, so it's going to be good to have a reason to paint them and use them together, even if that's not always the most optimal way to play.

I'm a pretty casual gamer, but I like the points system as I usually play at a club and it's a much easier way to arrange games with that system. And I'm much more a painter than gamer, so I tend to buy and paint things I like the look of, rather than just its tabletop performance. Over the years I've become a strict adherent to the "Play It Painted" mantra, as I discovered it both motivates me to paint it so I can use it, and makes me enjoy the game that much more when everything looks good.

My local gaming club (Outpost 6030 in Perth, Western Australia) is running an AoS slow grow league to get people playing the game, and I'm going to be doing my Sylvaneth first up. I've got my first unit of Dryads painted below, and my Branchwych and Kurnous Hunters are almost done.

Some of you might recognise that I've followed the Winterleaf colour scheme somewhat. I'd always planned a winter colour scheme, but after reading their background it was an easy decision to go with them, as the fact they like to ally with anyone to fight chaos fits into the idea of my army quite nicely!

So thanks for having me, comments and criticism welcome.

dryads.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey you!

Totally loving the wintery colourscheme, really nicely executed and I like the dark feel theyve got.

Nice work with the bases too, those GW bases look nice simply painted like that but I dont like them at all when seeing the GW pics.

Feel free to post some of your older elves, Id definately like to see :) 

Im more of a modeller and painter too and AoS is amazing for the reaaon that I can so easily get themed small and actually playable armies too, while FaBa was kinda so off-putting with having to have a ton of models, even if I loved the game itself. Havent tried playing AoS yet :P

Looking lovely.

The wintery scheeme is really working out.

Are you going to share work in progress pictures as well?

56 minutes ago, Routasydän said:

Hey you!

Totally loving the wintery colourscheme, really nicely executed and I like the dark feel theyve got.

Nice work with the bases too, those GW bases look nice simply painted like that but I dont like them at all when seeing the GW pics.

Feel free to post some of your older elves, Id definately like to see :) 

Im more of a modeller and painter too and AoS is amazing for the reaaon that I can so easily get themed small and actually playable armies too, while FaBa was kinda so off-putting with having to have a ton of models, even if I loved the game itself. Havent tried playing AoS yet :P

I think what really killed interest in fantasy battles for me was large blocks of infantry in ranked formation. Not only having to paint large amounts of the same unit, but having to pose them so they rank up, only for then only the first rank really showing, was a painting and modelling motivation killer for me.

Hey thanks guys!

Routasydän--you should give it a go. Very different to 8th ed but I find it a lot more fun. But yes, the smaller model counts--and all these great models on round bases--makes it a much friendlier game for painters.

I'll get some of my old ones up at some point, I want to re-base them. I wasn't sure about these bases either but they work very well just drybrushing them grey, and adding a bit of interest with the snow, tufts and leaves afterward.

Finished my next lot just now, so here are the Branchwych and hunters:

45bad37375a1145f5306a8f970aa80e8.jpg

Bonus points to anyone who gets the inspiration for the bittergrub's colour scheme ;)

f2df7a4dfaa9d8834a15aea913099434.jpg

Took a bit of time with these models, I really like them and can't wait to get another unit. They're a really good size and the detail in the plastic is just beautiful.

Need to put another unit of dryads together heading to the next points level, then I hope to tackle a tree man after that.

Was writing while you posted Rogue, so missed the comments :)

I don't usually do WIPs, but can do if people like to see them. 

And definitely don't miss ranking up. I painted a lot of skaven, and you really don't see all their individuality when they're crammed together in a 4x10 block. One of the reasons I couldn't really get into Kings of War I think. 

23 hours ago, Orange said:

Was writing while you posted Rogue, so missed the comments :)

I don't usually do WIPs, but can do if people like to see them. 

And definitely don't miss ranking up. I painted a lot of skaven, and you really don't see all their individuality when they're crammed together in a 4x10 block. One of the reasons I couldn't really get into Kings of War I think. 

this: main problem I had with WHFB, coming from the modelling / painting pov - great models, but didn't come across in the approach to unit basing.

Thanks guys.

The bittergrub was inspired by this :)

87e7e49f580763e36ded16768a4a741f.jpg

I got my first game in yesterday, 400 points against seraphon. The hunters didn't start well, missing all but one shot and that didn't wound, but made it up later when they inflicted 7 wounds on a unit of saurus.

7c0517a0f37bc4422b3a0032a3f88adb.jpg

ece2d126df4918c4ffc83e06a88163b6.jpg

So we go up to 600 points next, but we aren't allowed behemoths as yet, so I'm going to just do another unit of dryads. But I am going to rebase some of my painted models as well, so I've got a bit of other stuff to play with.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Orange said:

Been having a bit of a break over the holidays, though I did try rebasing a couple of models to see how easy it is:

0b66619ed93a9adf1563c2b842ef7544.jpg

Turns out it's pretty easy really. Must get on with it!

That's pretty pretty slayer, What layers did you do for the skin? My skin alway ends up a bit pasty or very dark. But you seem to have found the middle ground I've been looking for. 

Thanks Kramer. 

Ive actually changed my skin technique since that one, but I think it would have been Kislev flesh with an agrax wash, though I would have gone over some of the recesses with thinned down Kislev after as I remember it being too dark. I would have highlighted with Kislev mixed with bone colour for highlights. 

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Thanks Kramer. 

Ive actually changed my skin technique since that one, but I think it would have been Kislev flesh with an agrax wash, though I would have gone over some of the recesses with thinned down Kislev after as I remember it being too dark. I would have highlighted with Kislev mixed with bone colour for highlights. 

Thanks! missing both those paints but will try and see if I cant get close. But looking at the Kislev color, my base might just be to dark. If will deffinetly see if I can't pick that up. Thanks again. 

Thanks guys.

@The World Tree - I use quite a lot of colours!

I spray Army Painter Leather Brown, then paint the parts closer to the body with Vallejo Scorched Brown, and drybrush parts with Vallejo Shadow Grey. I then give it a couple of washes of Army Painter Dark Tone.

I then highlight the wood parts with P3 Bootstrap Leather, blending it gradually lighter by mixing in Vallejo Wolf Grey.

The blue parts I start with Citadel Lothern Blue, wash with Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade, then blend up the highlight (mainly by drybrushing) with mixes of Lothern Blue, Wolf Grey and finally white at the tips.

Sounds complicated but it isn't really, they're really easy to paint as you don't have to worry about the normal distinctions between armour, cloth and skin!  

I'm really happy with how blending brown and Vallejo Wolf Grey. Wolf Grey is really just very light blue, so I think it ties in well with the rest of the blue. I'd normally use white or bone to shade brown, but I think using blue makes them a bit more distinctive.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a gap between posts, with one thing and another I've not been getting much painting done. But I had a free afternoon the other day and managed to get the 10 dryads and Drycha done that I pledged for the January challenge.

b97b78ebff8b7a00d2413650fd0ea21e.jpg

And another shot of Drycha on her own

27a500742049703e18c485a247fd1d8a.jpg

Not a huge fan of the Drycha model but it was good to bash it out. I'm going to use her in our league game this week so hopefully she'll be fun to use.

Also finished basing my old dark elf crossbowmen

8f579b2e0ff5e5e7e1baa563e4dd729d.jpg

And so this is all my Order as it stands:

91290edaa7c886f5f6b6def6453859f2.jpg

I'm a little over tree people now! But I want to get my treeman done so that's on the list for February. And I managed to get a unit of old school slayers so I think I'll get them done too.

• 3 weeks later...

Next unit done for the army. I came across someone selling these slayers still in their blister and couldn't resist, I love the old dwarfs--27 years old but still great.

The standard and musician are newer but still fit well, though I'm not sure if there should be a banner on it or not.

70ed2947c09a8caf1c97161ea5f1b26b.jpg

Nice to paint some skin after lots of bark.

But back to that, my treeman is next.

43 minutes ago, Orange said:

Next unit done for the army. I came across someone selling these slayers still in their blister and couldn't resist, I love the old dwarfs--27 years old but still great.

Bah 27 years old? Those are still pups ;) 

Very well painted with a lot of depth. well done. They look fierce(ly comical)

Archived