General AOS lore thread.

shinros

4 hours ago, xking said:

What is the chapel of the shattered blade like?

It's a small church(shabby looking) of sigmar that revere's saint Rubeus a legendary warrior priest, I will put up the lore information of the establishments players can visit along with the characters part of the post.  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something interesting just happened Josh reynolds reveals why vampires are the blood of nagash in the relation of the old book series and reviving Arkhan, Mannfred and neferata in AOS. They are not the "same" from the old world. 

Yes it is them but they are not the same people anymore, they are reincarnated(just like the elves, humans and dwarfs) instead of outright bought back like some of the chaos heroes nagash highly likely also made a few edits along the way. The only people who truly jumped from the warhammer world to the AOS is the incarnates and the chaos followers the chaos gods saved like valkia glottkin etc. 

Josh reynolds notes he pretty much re grew them from his blood and body in AOS just like how he used mannfred's blood to revive vlad, honestly it's kinda freaky why he now calls mannfred his child now in a sense he literally is. I will make a small post.

Yeah so I just updated the main post. I actually find this interesting now it makes sense how nagash is constantly talking in neferata's head in the blood of nagash series head bringing up old memories trying to control her. 

Think about it in end times you sometimes think that the voice in mannfred's head is vlad but this reveal pretty much reveals in actuality it was nagash that was whispering in his head in the guise of vlad or mannfred just thought it was him. I always had the theory that mannfred was not actually becoming mentally unbalanced but just hearing the voice of nagash. 

General question: is there any specific lore about Grots in the Mortal Realms? Since they don't have a Battletome and haven't appeared prominently in any books or campaigns, are they just general little hangers-on of Orruks and Ogors? Or do they have their own thing going on? Are there, I dunno, Grot cities and what not?

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

General question: is there any specific lore about Grots in the Mortal Realms? Since they don't have a Battletome and haven't appeared prominently in any books or campaigns, are they just general little hangers-on of Orruks and Ogors? Or do they have their own thing going on? Are there, I dunno, Grot cities and what not?

Well moonclan grots and spider fangs are their own thing. Spiderfang are developing the means to move about the realms without realm gates. Recently in the white dwarf and the kharadron tome they mention the grotbag scuttlers which I suspect will be a new goblin faction to act as a enemy fold to the Kharadron. 

I don't own the grand alliance destruction tome so someone who has it maybe able to answer in better detail. 

On 25.04.2017 at 8:27 PM, Requizen said:

Aye, they are their own thing and well good ones I'd say! They are in the grand alliance:destruction as mentioned and also you can read about spiderfang grots in the Everchosen battletome and "Godbeasts" campaign book.

Made a small edition to the kharadron overlord post the rest will be up by the end of this week. Apologies how long this topic went without an update. Some real life stuff caused me not to have much time. Still after I am done with Kharadron this will be my next project post. 

seraphon7.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

Asking this here as it seems the most appropriate place.

Is there any mention of the Old Ones anywhere? 

The other day I was thinking that when they left the other place, it is assumed they went into another dimension/plane of existence, etc... so could drop by the Mortal Realms? Or join the "demon lizards" they created a long time ago? 

Could be cool to introduce them and expand the fluff on that. Wouldn't be too odd since Gods mixing with mortals and hanging around da neighbourhood is pretty common now.

20 minutes ago, VBS said:

Is there any mention of the Old Ones anywhere? 

As far as the fluff is concerned, there are no mentions of them, instead we have their counterparts in a form of the Zodiacal Beasts, or Godbeasts - Dracothion, the Star Drake; Argentine, the Silver Wyrm; Behemath, the World Titan and so on.

Right reading through eight lamentations. Thought I would put some extracts down and my thoughts and in my opinion if you care for the world building of the setting and exploring the cities and the people more. Get the book. 

Spoilers of course. 

BLPROCESSED-Spear-of-ShadowsCover.jpg

Grungi talking about his family to Volker(the main character on the front) (Also he is the size of an ogre for his mortal size, the gods of course can change size at will sigmar does it in another book.)

"We had a sister, Grimnnir and I. Aye, and more than one. Brothers too. Sons and... wives" He paused and shook his head. "Our voices shaped the realms of metal and fire, and the roots of more realms besides. Our song drew up the stones and from the seas and our hands crafted mountains." Grungi frowned "Or maybe I misremember. I am old, As I said, and I have lived many lives. Older even than he who sits upon the throne of Azyr. (sigmar)

His voice grew soft, like the crackle of dying fire. "Sometimes, I think I am older than all that ever was. I see my brother marching into the snowy north, axe in hand, crafting a road of enemy skulls. Then I see him again, wreathed in fire and falling away into legend. Both are him, and yet not." (I think he is talking about Gotrek here.)

Volker said nothing. The words were not meant for him, hew knew. That he was here was incidental. Grungi spoke to the shadows on the smithy wall, and the flames that roared in the unseen forges, not to him. Not to a human. The god laughed softly. "And what is a human, Owain Volker, but untempered iron, awaiting the heat and the hammer's touch?"

The Duardin fyreslayer who is a doomseeker reacting to Volker. Also there is a human knight that worships the everqueen and a female merc from Chamon. Of course they are going to be the group Grungi sends to look for the weapons. 

"Another manling," he said, finally, looking at Grungi somewhat accusingly. "Aye and what of it nephew?" Grungi chuckled "Grand-nephew, rather. Many generations removed" (I liked this small touch) "You are not a god of manlings, Maker." "Am I not? Do you own me then, child of my brother?" Grungi's deep voice was even, but volker could hear the undercurrent of warning in his words. "Who am I the god of, Lugash of the-" "Do not say it," Lugash roared, heaving himself to his feet. His runes flared, and Volker backed away as the heat bled off the duardin. 

Grungi frowned and brought his hands together, almost gently. The glowing runes went cold and dark. Lugash staggered, as if all strength had been wrenched from him. "Who are you to tell me what I can, or cannot say? You are the blood of my brother, and so I am oathbound to show patience - and yes, kindness even. But my patience extends only so far. Do not let my brothers fire drive you into rashness, as it did him."

Lugash fell back into his seat, his expression surly. Grungi shook his head "Grimnir was much the same," he said, absently. "Always seeking offence where none was meant. He craved it, the way a drunkard craves ale. Insult was his milk and impatience was his mead. And now he is dead, and his children look to me." He sounded weary.

"Dead but not gone," Lugash said. "No, Not gone. And death is not the end." Grungi sighed.

Also what I like is that they are showing not all humans worship sigmar. It seems the everqueen and Tyrion have quite a few human followers. Also Nagash has faithful on the street handing out pamphlets. Nagash faithful handing out PAMPHLETS. Also the book introduces an underlying problem that many of the sigmarite faithful are afraid of losing people to the other gods. 

"I am sorry," Nyoka said, looking down at him. "Why? He's the one who insulted me." Lugash said "I am sorry, nonetheless, " Nyoka said again. The builder...(Grungi) has long been a friend to our Order. But there are some among the Devoted who see other gods as distractions at best and thieves at worst." She smiled, slightly "They think Grungi wishes to steal us away." Volker snorted. "That's ridiculous." "Not so," Roggen said. The lady of leaves seeks worshippers from all races and peoples. So too does the King of Bones. Perhaps the Thunderer's servants are right to be afraid. There are many who remember the stories of the black days after the Gates of Ayzer closed shut, and the God-King abandoned his people. 

Nyoka frowned. "He did not abandon us. Not Willingly." "And yet it happened," the big knight said. He shrugged "It is no bark off me, for my folk have always held faith with the lady of leaves and her children. It is she whom we pledged our swords in the days before chaos came."

And...

Gender of the Grand Theogonist

The Grand Theogonist is a woman and she seems to be seeking to get other sects of sigmar to follow the same faith tenants from the age of myth. She has also been trying to get the Grand Conclave to attempt to give the witch hunters the order of ayzr more power to act.

49 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

Great post! An specially good source for those who say AoS's story is lacking. 

Thank you, it's a good book in my opinion. Really fleshes stuff out in AOS and the fact it's going to be a trilogy. So if people want more people gotta show GW what they like. 

44 minutes ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

Wow. I really need to read that book. I love those interactions between the Doomseeker and Grungi! Thanks for that Shinros.

No problem the book also delves into why grungi left sigmar during the all gates. Well left is not exactly the right word. You have to read it and I think a certain famous dwarf pops up in the book.

2 hours ago, shinros said:

New gods in what context? They mention some of the pantheon followers like nagash, the everqueen and tyrion. They more or less use that to build the religious tension.

I was asking if this book named any new god that wasn't mentioned before.

I've compiled a list on the lexicanum and as far as I know these are all the god in the Mortal Realms mentioned until now.

59b2ff4499c69_DeitiesMortalRealms.png.b8a3f6dd417dc2bc10e4f5dfc7a0a4e7.png

34 minutes ago, Ashendant said:

I was asking if this book named any new god that wasn't mentioned before.

I've compiled a list on the lexicanum and as far as I know these are all the god in the Mortal Realms mentioned until now.

59b2ff4499c69_DeitiesMortalRealms.png.b8a3f6dd417dc2bc10e4f5dfc7a0a4e7.png

Ah apologies, no new gods are mentioned. Also feel free to take stuff from the front post since many of the faction posts are direct transcripts from the battle tome.

On 08/09/2017 at 10:12 PM, shinros said:

Ah apologies, no new gods are mentioned. Also feel free to take stuff from the front post since many of the faction posts are direct transcripts from the battle tome.

Thanks for the confirmation. I always like to see new gods. I'll have to contend with further development on current gods.

Unfortunately I can't do that. I would have to have screenshots or photos of parts of the books to update the lexi, as I don't have the books themselves to source it properly.

Archived