I'm Buying Spire of Dawn as a Statement

21 hours ago, wayniac said:

According to my GW, they accidentally put pre-orders up yesterday when it wasn't supposed go up until next week, but they left it up (my GW manager got an email saying it right after the guy I went half with ordered it).  so it looks like they sold out on a pre-pre-release since it wasn't supposed to actually be available for pre-release until next week.

That seems to make some sense as IoB was Sold Out on the USA site yesterday evening, but is back up as not Sold Out this morning.

I don't believe this boxed set isn't aimed veteran gamers looking for a new army to start.  This seems to me to be aimed at getting new blood into the hobby.

If I were the parent of a younger gamer looking to get into a GW game, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.  Two starter armies for $80 USD is a bargain, and staying under $100 USD means you don't pass a psychological barrier in many parents' minds.  $80 is slightly more expensive than top end video games (but still in the same general price realm)  whereas $125USD+ puts you in a different mindset with regard to taking a chance on something for your kid. For what it's worth, I'm the parent of a teenager and a tween, so I get to think about things like this fairly often... sadly not about gaming products. 

Yes, the AoS starter box is great value as well and arguably has better models IMO, but both price-wise and hobby-wise, this starter set is more approachable for gamers that are brand new to the hobby.

I purchased this within hours of going online. Now I've just received an e-mail notification which says there is no stock and that they don't know how much until they get copies.

They (=GW) asked me if I want to wait an undefined amount of time or get my money back.

They are giving me a 10 euro gift card for the trouble anyway.

Anybody else in this situation?

For the record: I'm located in Spain.

I give GW a LOT of money for their expensive products when I am interested in them (and I am a lot). I find it stupid to buy something as a "statement" even if I don't want or need something. Sorry guys.

A "message"? Seriously? Sorry to be a debbie downer but come on...

• 10 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, pchan126 said:

Just finished off painting the skaven half, and noticed that its No Longer Available :(

Looks like it's gone from "No Longer Available" to just not even listed on the US store. So I'm guess this time it sells out it around the world might really be gone(I think it went from No Longer Available and back to life at least one in the US). I wonder what the means for the elf models that were only available for in that box? Will they be bumped to compendium in the GHB18? Now there is no generic battleline unit for high elves (why a unit of horse archers were generic battleline over Phoenix Guard or Swordmasters in still an on going mystery) that GW sells. For those that want to build a mixed high elf army(since most of the successor factions are tiny with few options) it will sting a bit if you ever want any chance of matched play.

26 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I'm close to 10 months and i'm just starting on my final hero to finish 1K... it can always be worse ;)

I still think its not that slow. If you have a job and family commitments (or other equally time-consuming commitments) then getting 1000pts done in a year is great if you ask me. (like actually painted, not dipped for a tournament). 

1 minute ago, Sheriff said:

I still think its not that slow. If you have a job and family commitments (or other equally time-consuming commitments) then getting 1000pts done in a year is great if you ask me. (like actually painted, not dipped for a tournament). 

True, and it's a fair point that everybody has his own time schedule. For me switching between armies keeps it fun, and even then 1000pt of the same army (even a passion project as this) can become to much. 

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

True, and it's a fair point that everybody has his own time schedule. For me switching between armies keeps it fun, and even then 1000pt of the same army (even a passion project as this) can become to much. 

Yeah I can't imagine ever having a pure single-allegiance army. Would get bored painting. 

Archived