I'm Buying Spire of Dawn as a Statement

And I urge everybody else who is a fan of AoS or GW products to buy as well, even if you aren't a fan of either Skaven or Elves.

$80 for 74 figures is amazing and something I want more of, especially when Starter Sets and Boxed Games have been going up astronomically in price. And no, I could not give two "dang"s that they're reprinting the old Island of Blood set. Hell, this is cheaper than what the IoB set was going for.

This is one hell of a message to send to them, especially after they gave us those expensive fire-dwarfs.

I ordered it as soon as I could - it's crackers. It's possibly the best set out there, valuewise, from any manufacturer. Admittedly it may be a one off given the stocks they presumably had of Island of Blood to repackage.

However if they sell well enough perhaps they will have it as a permanent lower cost companion to the AoS starter. Certainly fits with the lower cost of entry sets they've released.

I already have an island of blood set I'm not using so it's a waste even at that price.

Plus, I'm waiting until I see what they are doing with aelfs in the fluff since we have seen nothing.

Also it boggles the mind they have gone and done this. 3/4 of the aelf side are discontinued units. Why suddenly bring them back? I'll never understand GW.

At the end of WH8th / End Times, (can anyone remember that far back? Seems like Aeons ago now) there were mysterious reports of GW store managers being asked to return stock of all the IOB sets they had.

So it would seem this had been planned for a long time perhaps.  It's a good deal yeah but it's also them just selling out of the old stock they had , I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's not like a brand new product being dynamically marketed , it's an old product they are so desperate to shift they are cutting their losses on and shifting. It's not available in any independent stockists, so I expect stock is quite limited. Sorry to be the party pooper but I doubt this will set a trend for future releases. The AOS starter set is the current benchmark, but that was pretty good value for money too, so if you wanted to send a message, buy 10 of those.

33 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

I already have an island of blood set I'm not using so it's a waste even at that price.

Plus, I'm waiting until I see what they are doing with aelfs in the fluff since we have seen nothing.

Also it boggles the mind they have gone and done this. 3/4 of the aelf side are discontinued units. Why suddenly bring them back? I'll never understand GW.

In fairness, the discontinued units all have new names according to the product list. This leads me to believe there will be new warscroll available. 

all of that existed at the start of AOS, there was an Island of Blood PDF remember?

https://ttgamingdiary.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/island-of-blood.pdf

and all of those units are legacy units and already have points in the GHB right? Just because they changed the names to the new copyright protected IP names, is no real reason to expect much different.

When the Grand Alliances came out GW did say that the units they've stopped producing weren't necessarily gone for good and that it was a case they were stopping making the models and that the units may well be back later on with new models. So I wouldn't be too surprised if "legacy" units get added to existing factions. 

Yep I know IOB isn't new models really but the legacy units in it might stop being legacy units, if that makes sense. 

I also think @SuperHappyTime is spot on. The more stuff sells the more likely GW is to follow that line. 

15 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I'm not even interested in it but went half with someone at the gw who wanted the skaven part.

I don't even play high elves or was planning to start high elves!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Happy to accept them as a donation fella ;)

I'm going to say no, don't buy this (but unfortunately it's already sold out!)

The models GW produce now are much better than those old boxed starter set models.  Ok the Reavers and some of the Skaven bits are nice but on the whole the flat Seaguard/Swordmasters/Clanrats are nothing special.  

I'd much prefer to see GW giving AoS boxed sets the Horus Heresy/Deathmasque treatment and putting full retail kits in there at a great price point.

Seriously those Battle for Skull Pass Dwarves are awful by today's standards and no way deserve to be reprinted.  

2 hours ago, Sadysaneto said:

It will be released on the 24th. even at gw.

According to my GW, they accidentally put pre-orders up yesterday when it wasn't supposed go up until next week, but they left it up (my GW manager got an email saying it right after the guy I went half with ordered it).  so it looks like they sold out on a pre-pre-release since it wasn't supposed to actually be available for pre-release until next week.

It's just plain good business sense, instead of recycling the old miniatures, rebox them and offer them back up for sale.

All in all, it's these kind of smart moves that I hope leads to an improved future for GW as more money means better models in the future.

I'd love to see this set as a permanent release. The Clanrats are great from a horde point of view, and the high elves actually compare favourably to the starter set stormcasts. From a beginner point of view, these minis are a heck of a lot easier to put together than the Bloodbound in the current set.

Archived