Formless Horror and special abilities

DarkBlack

Question

7 answers to this question

Interesting one - strict reading, I'd say "no".
Intent may well be yes, but weapons do not have abilities - the models do.
(Warscroll structure isn't covered in the 4 page rules, but in the Battletomes the "Abilities" section of the warscroll refers to models.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Intent may well be yes

I would say intent is clearly yes where the ability plainly relates to the weapon itself (of which Slayer of Kings would be one of the most appropriate - also Reality Splitting Axe). GW have made repeated noises that they do use a purposive interpretation of the rules in relation to AoS. Also Rule of Cool....

I would distinguish this from buffs on the target (like Battlebrew or Daemonic Power), which the Changeling wouldn't receive. This is definitely unclear though. It could use an FAQ.

Just for reference some of the abilities should not be carried over to the Changeling, Archaon's The Slayer of Kings is quite clear in its wording "If Archaon directs all of his attacks with The Slayer of Kings". The Changeling can use his weapon but rolling 2 6's to wound wouldn't actually trigger the instant kill effect as that rule is unique to Archaon.

Still I'd allow it, because seeing the Changling one shot Archaon is quite spectacular.

25 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

Just for reference some of the abilities should not be carried over to the Changeling, Archaon's The Slayer of Kings is quite clear in its wording "If Archaon directs all of his attacks with The Slayer of Kings". The Changeling can use his weapon but rolling 2 6's to wound wouldn't actually trigger the instant kill effect as that rule is unique to Archaon.

Still I'd allow it, because seeing the Changling one shot Archaon is quite spectacular.

I think checking the description and going yes if it says "if *weapon...", but no for "... if *model*...", works, thank you for the insight.

I had the changeling charge Archaon last night! No double 6, but Changeling did get 3 wounds though for 9 damage. :ph34r:

Yep - definitely the fun way for a TO to rule it. 

3-way game - Hand of Dust Nagash and Slayer of Kings Archaon - who wouldn't want to see that.

On 12/8/2016 at 4:17 PM, Nico said:

Yep - definitely the fun way for a TO to rule it. 

3-way game - Hand of Dust Nagash and Slayer of Kings Archaon - who wouldn't want to see that.

The Changeling knows the spells of all wizards within 9". So he(?) could hand of dust both of them. xD

There is a bit of a point difference, either the blue scribes help out and/or summoning points.

Changeling with 5 lives might work too though...

I've have only ever see and heard of the Changeling ability using the profile like slayer of kings to double 6 Archaon.

There must be so many other descriptions of other abilites that say when this named special character uses his special sword ,lance etc it does ......

They do use the name Archaon for when he's using his sword but I believe that was the intent was that it's The Slayer of Kings sword that has the ability not Archaon.

Maybe GW will FAQ but its played as intent above

Archived