Marauder Slaves to Darkness list viable?

BloodBeast

I've had a wacky plan today that I just can't shake. I've been working on rebasing my old WoC army and was thinking a whole marauder army might be quite cool. 

Its mainly the hobby aspect that I'm interested in so I was thinking a couple of marauder units on foot, a couple of horsemen units, some hounds, backed up by converted StD characters to look more marauder-y and some converted chaos ogres. 

Any thoughts on other things I can add or repurpose/convert? Thoughts on how these units would perform?

I don' t think it will be very competitive, however is perfectly possible.

U have darkoath chieftain as leader, marauder and horsemen as base infantry and fast cavalry, and in the end u have one of the most powetrul and awesome monsters: the chaos mammoth

On a 2000 i would recommend a couple of chieftains, 30*3 marauders and at least 3 mammoths 

Imho is a really aestethic army but not that much powerful in terms of competitiveness

The best list I could come up with which was thematic and semi functional was something like.

3 x 20 marauders. 360

20 marauders + wulfrick 200 

2 mammoths 640 

Warshrine 200

3 x 5 marauder horsemen 300

2 darkoath chieftain. 160

Chaos Sorceror Lord on Mount. 140

That shouldbe about 2k.

Wulfrick and his band will be a deep strike of sorts providing a distraction on the turn the mammoths intend to charge with luck, 

The everything will die fast. except for the mammoths, so it's not particularly effective at much lol

Mark them with Nurgle and bring the harbinger. I'd run them in units of 30 for longevity and the ability to get +1 to hit and wound on a roll of 4+.

They can be surprisingly resilient, and I've frustrated a few opponents who were unaware of their abilities. The only real downside, and this goes for almost all Slave units, is lack of rend.

I've been having fun with them again, and yes, I've won some games with them. They can be hard to get off of objectives, and they are fast with a 6" movement,

=+

13 hours ago, Tasman said:

Mark them with Nurgle and bring the harbinger. I'd run them in units of 30 for longevity and the ability to get +1 to hit and wound on a roll of 4+.

They can be surprisingly resilient, and I've frustrated a few opponents who were unaware of their abilities. The only real downside, and this goes for almost all Slave units, is lack of rend.

I've been having fun with them again, and yes, I've won some games with them. They can be hard to get off of objectives, and they are fast with a 6" movement,

Agreed wholeheartedly here.  Alternatively, you could potentially run Glottkin as both his command and spell would work well with the numbers of models you will be fielding.  The bonus attack would buff the Marauder horsemen surprisingly well as well.

1 hour ago, Darthbeerder said:

Just out of curiosity how are you going about rebasing your models ? I also have an old woc army but I just cant figure out a tidy way to rebase them 

Do you have terrain? A battle field or something? I'm doing mine as grass being corrupted as I have a grass mat thing 

On 12 December 2016 at 4:23 AM, Darthbeerder said:

Just out of curiosity how are you going about rebasing your models ? I also have an old woc army but I just cant figure out a tidy way to rebase them 

What is it you're struggling with? Most of the Slaves to Darkness range has been repackaged, so I'm going with the bases the models come with in the new boxes - Marauders on 25s, warriors on 32s, cavalry on ovals.

Archived