To rebase or not to rebase, that, is the question.

Kaleb Daark

Hi there :)

I recently has a game for the first time with my chaos dwarf army, and I thought about taking the plunge and rebasing the army.

What do you seasoned dogs of war think?  keep 20mm squares or rebase and go round?

I see that the new dwarfs duardin are on bigger rounds anyway.  Does this give an edge, is better or just aesthetically more pleasing?

I cottoned on that my 20mm squares were handy enough to allow my second rank to get an attack in with their reach once in melee so that was a bonus I thought.

I've rebased for aesthetic reasons - I do think rounds look better in a skirmish game. But for completed armies that were already on squares for 8th Ed, I've left alone, so I can still use them them for both.

As for choosing one base or another for advantage, it doesn't seem worth the bother. It strikes me as contrary to the spirit of the game (and indeed the letter of the game, which says you don't take account of the base when measuring).

Are you playing for the beer and pretzels? If so, probably don't bother if your old bases are nice. If they're not, probably just rebase.

If you and your opponents are more serious about the gaming side, definitely rebase. There's a significant advantage to having smaller bases although it's not as big with the 20mm->25mm transition as it is if you were going to 32mm, which keeps you from attacking (simply) in two ranks.

There's no doubt your army will look better on rounds though.

I'd definitely rebase. It's the way the game should be played. Minis look way nicer on round bases. As soon as you play a few games, you'll see it makes a massive difference in combats. 

As a rule 20mm squares seemed to move up to 25mm rounds initially. I'm pretty sure there's been a few to contradict this though. Plaguebearers? And fyreslayers were obviously on 32mm. I'd imagine the Steamhead will also be on 32mm. Is probably worth waiting to see though as I imagine we'll know in a month. 

Archived