My Rotbringers Horde

GuitaRasmus

1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

3A09AD96-5FEB-449C-880F-7C68573DFB56.gif.1146a4621675e80e3b8767df58455555.gif

I love this thread. Just the most amazing Nurgle stuff. Pic related.

Haha, thanks man. You're gonna love this then. :) 

The Screaming Oak WIP

Okay - I usually don't share pics this early in the process of making a conversion, since it's extremely rough and basically in the "sketch stage" - things are blutacked on, some things are only placeholders, lots of sculpting and parts missing, etc, but at this point I'm trying to get the pose and concept locked down - so keep that in mind. I felt it would be interesting to share though, since it gives a glimpse into my very messy process of making models as described in the little essay I wrote a while ago, about models and poses. That, and because I'm SOOOO excited about it!

Here is the very early stages of my Screaming Oak:

SO1.jpg

SO2.jpg

SO3.jpg

I'm basically trying to make a treeman zombie. While GWs Treelord model is very good, it is portraying a beautiful and nimble kind of treeman. I wanted something that looks corrupted, shambling, monstrous and really really evil. I even used the classic "bent knee zombie pose", to illustrate the point. I also wanted some really massive talons, which are made from the Shardwrack Spine terrain kit - like I said, they need lots of sculpting, but I tried to echo the "hollow" look of the talons of the Sylvaneth Spite Revenants. The legs and body also need a lot of branches and sculpting and hopefully a mouth or seven.

The head is a placeholder for now - I like the tormented look, but I'm not sure if it looks too "off" from the rest of the tree aesthetic. Lots more branches and spikes needed all around, but I really really like it so far, and the "murder of crows" emphasise the forward motion further.

I'm still very open to suggestions and comments, so please, fire away! :)

His Warscroll: 

screaming-oak.jpg

PS: If you haven't guessed from the Warscroll above, I'm going to play him as a Verminlord Corruptor - the warscroll is exactly the same as the VLC - I just thought it was cool and thematic to change the descriptions and abilities. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

Branching Out

I've started to lock down the parts on the Screaming Oak, pinning stuff into place (blu-tec somehow doesn't really stand up to the vigours of battle) and refining the pose a little - I've added some more branches on the middle of his back where it seemed a little bare, and tweaked the position of the head a little - I could use the wisdom of the mighty internet here, is this better, screaming in agony at the heavens, or is the previous version where he looked a little more down better?

Also, should he have a couple of horns?

SO4.jpg

Or not?

SO5.jpg

SO6.jpg

The white base is because I have this strange infatuation with Warmachine beveled bases, and prefer to use them on all my miniatures. Alas, they're only made in 30, 40 and 50 mm, plus a very big one for Gargantuans, so I have to make them myself on my lathe to get the right diameter - yes, I know that the Verminlord Corrupter has an oval base. Yes, I calculated the circumference (106 mm) to have a corresponding round base (not a fan of oval bases). Yes, it is technically not legal. No, I don't care at all. ;)

• LOVE IT! 2

The humble beginnings of a battlefield. 

"Okay, he's lost his marbles - he started converting terrain too?"

Yup, never one to leave a model stock, I have gotten my dirty mittens on some of the old Warhammer terrain during the past year or two, and while they are great looking, I thought it would be a bit boring to have duplicates. Also, with the coming of AoS, and round bases (= no movement trays) actual interaction with the terrain (besides just marching around it) became a possibility - thus, I wanted to create more levels, and more options for positioning. Plus, I just like cutting up plastic. ;)

First up is my fortified manor - I've combined it with the Ruins of Osgiliath (LoTR kit, which I used for the others as well), and put another chapel on top of the watchtower, along with the outhouse mounted on the roof. The cliffs are pet shop cork bark (man, it reeked of pet shop - I needed to air it for a few days before actually working on it) hot glued on.

sce1.jpg

sce2.jpg

Next, a watchtower - I think the wall with the iron gate is from the Garden of Morr, I got it in a bulk terrain buy. More ruins, a walkway and a creepy tunnel below the ramshackle walkway. Perhaps a tentacle peeking out is needed? 

sce3.jpg

sce4.jpg

My precious Skullvane Manse, bought as soon as they became available again - the only modification  it'll get is the white clay I'm sculpting over the old "winged warrior skeleton stone carving thing", since I thought it looked really bad. 

sce5.jpg

Another watchtower ruin, again Ruins of Osgiliath and some cork bark.

sce6.jpg

sce7.jpg

I need to figure out what to do for the basing though - the first watchtower is based, but it was a serious struggle to get the 3 mm MDF to stop warping. I've tried different stuff, plasticard seems to warp too from the PVA glue I'm using, and I don't really want to use 6 mm mdf - it seems to thick. Any ideas?

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 hours ago, Ahriman said:

God I absolutely adore those old empire terrain kits, very envious there!

As for the treelord, he's sublime. And I l think head screaming up and including the horns is the way to go.

Thanks a lot for the reply. :)

Yup, they ARE great looking, aren't they? Some people say that they don't fit into the aesthetic of AoS, but I disagree - I think they look great as sort of a ruined or abandoned ghost town. I'm going to paint them in eerie desolate tones, and combine them with some of the new Warcry ruins - I've always loved city fights, and adore beautiful Mordheim tables, so this will be very cool as a battleground. 

Reg. the Treelord; Thanks. Yeah, the more I'm looking at him, the more I'm convinced that the upwards screaming head is more characterful. A buddy of mine commented that it seems that he is more or less uncaring what is going on around him, he just smashes whatever is in his way, completely lost in his agony. 

On 8/3/2019 at 12:27 AM, GuitaRasmus said:

I need to figure out what to do for the basing though - the first watchtower is based, but it was a serious struggle to get the 3 mm MDF to stop warping. I've tried different stuff, plasticard seems to warp too from the PVA glue I'm using, and I don't really want to use 6 mm mdf - it seems to thick. Any ideas?

How about sheets of cork board? If you can get ‘em thin enough. They seem to lie fairly flat from what I remember...

Edited by Tommy

On 8/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, ten ball said:

Agreed about treelord. Great work so far.

Thanks - after pondering about it for a bit, I'm leaning towards "screaming at the sky" as well. 

On 8/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, Tommy said:

How about sheets of cork board? If you can get ‘em thin enough. They seem to lie fairly flat from what I remember...

I'm pretty sure they would warp too - cork is very porous and not very strong. 

I've started work after summer vacation and The SquigTM is taking up a lot of my already sparse spare time - but last saturday I got my dirty mittens on the Warcry starter set, and over the last week I've gotten the ruins assembled - they look great, and I'm looking forward to both using them in AoS and trying out Warcry - looks like good fun. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes an idea is so dumb, that you just have to do it. Hence... Riding on the Witch King of Cankerwalls monstrous mounts wrecking ball... The Nurgling... 

Smiley Virus: 

GKnurgling.jpg

(He's sitting on this guy, I forgot to take a pic with the nurgling added: GK3.jpg

Please tell me you get the joke. Otherwise, I'm too far gone into "dad-joke-country". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, Skipsalajan said:

Great job mate. What is the demon prince doing? Any new pics?

Nothing much, I'm afraid. The Squig(tm), now 4 months old, has a tendency to take up a lot of my previous hobby time. Oh well, in a few short years, I'll have my own base-coating-slave. ;) 

I've gotten my mittens on some more of the old WHFB scenery, and they are indeed beautiful kits. However, I've gotten quite a few of the old Chapels (bought as fortified manors - hence the watchtowers I've also got), and I thought it would be boring to just have duplicate manors or chapels - so I've bashed them together to make a fortress of some sort. I've used more pet shop cork bark for the cliffs and rocks, and used some walls to make the walkway and the walls for the tower. I think it works pretty well, although it obviously needs quite a bit of detailing:

fort1.jpg

I've used a piece of the Garden of Morr as an outhang for one of the buildings - I obviously need to something with it. Also some supports for the other outhangs too.

fort2.jpg

I'll lay some wood planks on the walkway and the tower floor: 

fort3.jpg

I've also managed to grab a completely mint (still foil on the box) Dreadstone Blight, one of my favourite pieces, and promptly got it assembled (still needs the top floor). I doubt I'll do any converting to this one - I really like it as is - although it will get a nice base:

dreadstone.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This thread might be a bit old but figured I would drop a comment since I am out of likes  (I just don't know where they went 🤷‍♂️). That treelord... My friend is a great connoisseur of body horror, I don't get it, but both every leader and monster you put out is just amazing. Directing him to this thread, but in the meantime that terrain is literally the best thing I have ever seen, I really want to make a themed half floating archway terrain stuff for my KO, inspired by all the bridges and such! I had never even considered converting terrain... If you haven't secured the treelord yet my vote is for the no horn, screaming his anguish into the sky, has a bit of poetry you know? The horn blends with his back and makes it seem a bit crowded, and unless you added another one to the other side it doesn't fit the direction of the model (which I learned about here, thank you!). The nurglings which are scattered about are the best comic relief, I wish order armies had some small comic relief guys to put on (grots for destruction, nurglings for chaos, death is edgy, and order is too I guess).

Edit: Oh my god your the guy with the warband, I loved those dudes so much! I hadn't even made the connection, but I love those guys too. The octupus is stunning.

Edited by Sttufe

• 1 year later...

This thread is really old now, but I thought id drop a comment just in case. I love your work, and since you seem to know what your doing in terms of conversions, I was wondering if you had any advice, or ideas for converting or making an alternative horticulous slimux. I have barely done any converting, and only a bit of kitbashing, so it would probably be best to take something and work of it, a plague drone would probably work. I kinda want it to look like a spider, or like a big bug, as I was planning on making some beasts of nurgle similar this https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/6l6ov0/just_finished_my_converted_beasts_of_nurgle_what/, but I'm happy to change it to basically anything remotely insectoid. Thanks : ).