What does the UK event scene need / want? OR how do I run a successful event?

TerrorPenguin

Hi all,

I am really keen on finding as many AOS players near to us and would like to run some events to help grow the scene locally. I'd also like to put on something pretty cool.

However I live in a fairly small city (Lincoln) with not the greatest travel links. We have a gaming hall which could probably accommodate about 40 people which would be free of charge and so could keep costs low. It's a bit out of town; but has parking etc. 

Conscious that putting on something spectacular without a reputation might lead to a complete flop, but also conscious that a tournament at 2000pts GHB can be found elsewhere.

Does anyone have any advice? Should we go full out for a realms at war big narrative event; or stick to running smaller tournaments to build a reputation first? 

Any advice gratefully received, please move this if it's not appropriate for this forum!

I think advertising is key, people generally seem to be willing to travel around to get to tournaments. Nottingham is only an hour away which is easy for a single day and has a seemingly large player base. If you're on Twitter, there seems to be a lot of people, I'm sure people would happily retweet to their followers if you asked nicely. At the end of the day, we're all in this community together so sure they would help it expand.

Sure either way would  be popular, maybe a tournament would be easier in terms of getting the right numbers?

I'd say you're in a great spot. Nottingham is the centre of the world's nerdery and it's not far from where you are. Distance shouldn't be an issue. 

That said, I'd start small and run a simple matched play tournament or two, just to see that everything goes without a hitch. After you have a one dayer under your belt, you can be more ambitious. That's our plan up here in Newcastle. As far as I can see, there's nothing at all going on between Sheffield and Stirling. Now that we have a club up and running, we're going to run a one day tournament next year, with a mind to do more in the future. 

Cheers guys, I think you're probably right, as much as I love the idea of a big narrative event I should really run a few smaller ones first to get some under my belt.

I think I had been thinking of 'reputation' - I don't know of much happening in Lincoln really, but that probably means I just need to step up the marketing side of things really. 

Having recently run a 40 player narrative event (RAW16) , I can tell you it's a tonne of work! Although it was our first AoS event, we've run 8th ed events some had a lots of things like tables, table numbers, scoring spreadsheets etc as a basis to work from.  

If you've never run any kind of event before, I'd suggest keeping your first one as simple as possible for you. You'll find there are moment during the event when you're not doing a lot and other moments when you've got far too much to do. Half the trick is anticipating when these moments will happen and trying to deal with them swiftly to keep the event flowing.

I'd also suggest having an organising team so that you don't have to so everything yourself! It also helps to have someone to bounce ideas off and that way your much less likely to forget something.

The scene is pretty vibrant at the moment so make sure to check the calendar and try not to clash with other nearby events.

hope that helps

jimbo 

10 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

As far as I can see, there's nothing at all going on between Sheffield and Stirling.  

Just wish to point out I ran 3 events here in Leeds this year and am in planning stages for more in 2017. I also went to 2 events in Stockport, and 2 events in Kendal. Indeed there is another event in Stockport in 2 weeks time. 

Perhaps you can begin by putting on a one day event marketed as a 'warm up' event for a bigger two event,  couple of weeks in advance (I think 2 weeks is the ideal personally). If you reach out to the organizers of those I'm sure they would be happy to share their comp pack or at least give you permission to use it. This helps you to help them to help you... ad infinitum

I think the scene needs London events (and / or SE events). A sizeable portion of the population lives there but events in the capital are like hens teeth. This, I think, is in no small part due to difficult price pointing / unrealistic price expectations.

Rather than ask what people want directly, because their response isn't always what they actually want, try asking:

• Why don't they attend other events?
  • What time is good for travel (i.e. no one wants a gig that runs past last train time)?
  • If they've attend an event, what did they like the most?
  • ...what didn't they like?

You need to find the value. That's the key. Who is your audience? What can your event do for them? Why would they come to you for it?

A good example was that recent narrative play event. The audience was those looking for a atypical event day. They went for the purpose built tables and scenarios.

8 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Cheers guys, I think you're probably right, as much as I love the idea of a big narrative event I should really run a few smaller ones first to get some under my belt.

I think I had been thinking of 'reputation' - I don't know of much happening in Lincoln really, but that probably means I just need to step up the marketing side of things really. 

The GH ladder system might be a start. If you don't play that month you move to the bottom of the table. Perhaps change the ladder places to actual cities up a map...they're all fighting to hold control of a realm gate at the top. Give it some flavour.

9 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

Just wish to point out I ran 3 events here in Leeds this year and am in planning stages for more in 2017. I also went to 2 events in Stockport, and 2 events in Kendal. Indeed there is another event in Stockport in 2 weeks time. 

Sadly, there's only 20 or minutes difference in travel time between here and Leeds and here and Sheffield, and Stockport is actually further away. My point was that there was nothing local.

We're planning to go to one in Kendal next year, as I can get free accommodation over there but even that's nearly two hours away. I'm interested that you say there's two in Kendal. Which ones and I'll stick them in the diary? 

Where are you at? Leeds? Feel free to join us next year for ours if you like.  

Ask what your local group would like for a start, as a guaranteed pool of players helps fill the places for a first event and gives your group some publicity. However, as you've mentioned wanting to grow the scene in your area, maybe it's worth working on that first. Maybe start with some open gaming days, where you host a mini-tourney/narrative campaign?

Also, if your costs really are as low as you think (remember that players would still expect trophies to fight for), I think you have a good reason to just jump in and not be afraid of failing. If anything, there's always a demand for one-dayers for 24 players at cheap ticket prices.

Thinking longer term, it would be good if you can find a niche selling point. I always believe you should host the event you would want to play in yourself, as it will make the experience all the more rewarding.

All the best for your first event!

P.S. I'm glad RAW has sparked the idea of hosting a narrative event yourself. Do drop us a message if you need any resources/help.

I think people are also forgetting the amount of pre-work that goes into organising events especially emails, PMs to answer and updating threads of the event in various web forums. 

I believe a good way in attracting people to your event is to go out there and attend other events, make new friends and potential future punters for your event. See how they work it and probably cadge a few ideas from them. I have run the Rushden Rumble for a few years now on 8th ed and have only just moved on to AoS due to the number playing it at the club. It has been difficult adjusting to the new rule set but well worth the effort for the pack. Unfortunately I may have lost a number of regular 8th ed players as most have gone onto 9th.  

However I like the idea of you thinking about a narrative format.  All the best in your new venture.

7 hours ago, Shane said:

Rather than ask what people want directly, because their response isn't always what they actually want, try asking:

• Why don't they attend other events?
  • What time is good for travel (i.e. no one wants a gig that runs past last train time)?
  • If they've attend an event, what did they like the most?
  • ...what didn't they like?

You need to find the value. That's the key. Who is your audience? What can your event do for them? Why would they come to you for it?

A good example was that recent narrative play event. The audience was those looking for a atypical event day. They went for the purpose built tables and scenarios.

This is good advice, thank you. I guess I'm probably looking for something inbetween 'the biggest narrative event' and 'a small matched play event' - but maybe people do only want a matched play event - I should be a bit more open minded.

Also completely agree about running a few smaller ones first. I should also be wary of biting off more than I can chew as I haven't even finished painting my own army yet, never mind starting on a tonne of terrain or similar. Agree with the team comments, thank you.

7 hours ago, Shane said:

The GH ladder system might be a start. If you don't play that month you move to the bottom of the table. Perhaps change the ladder places to actual cities up a map...they're all fighting to hold control of a realm gate at the top. Give it some flavour.

This is a good idea, I wonder if adding maps, a little video etc. might bring people in. 

2 hours ago, Thornshield said:

Ask what your local group would like for a start, as a guaranteed pool of players helps fill the places for a first event and gives your group some publicity. However, as you've mentioned wanting to grow the scene in your area, maybe it's worth working on that first. Maybe start with some open gaming days, where you host a mini-tourney/narrative campaign?

Also, if your costs really are as low as you think (remember that players would still expect trophies to fight for), I think you have a good reason to just jump in and not be afraid of failing. If anything, there's always a demand for one-dayers for 24 players at cheap ticket prices.

Thinking longer term, it would be good if you can find a niche selling point. I always believe you should host the event you would want to play in yourself, as it will make the experience all the more rewarding.

All the best for your first event!

P.S. I'm glad RAW has sparked the idea of hosting a narrative event yourself. Do drop us a message if you need any resources/help.

Very kind, thank you. I think a small start with mini-tourney / narrative campaign is good. I hadn't thought of trophies, I suppose the plastic medals my kids get at every other party wouldn't do it ;)

39 minutes ago, enTHRALLed said:

I think people are also forgetting the amount of pre-work that goes into organising events especially emails, PMs to answer and updating threads of the event in various web forums. 

I believe a good way in attracting people to your event is to go out there and attend other events, make new friends and potential future punters for your event. See how they work it and probably cadge a few ideas from them. I have run the Rushden Rumble for a few years now on 8th ed and have only just moved on to AoS due to the number playing it at the club. It has been difficult adjusting to the new rule set but well worth the effort for the pack. Unfortunately I may have lost a number of regular 8th ed players as most have gone onto 9th.  

However I like the idea of you thinking about a narrative format.  All the best in your new venture.

Agreed, I think that what has been a little frustrating is our local stores lack of engagement in running events, although a newer store seems better. I think part of this lack of engagement is just due to the sheer amount of work needed. I think you have a really valid point about getting out there as well. . Ugh, 9th. Rushden is not that far from me (I travel a lot for work) so may see if I can make it to the Rumble.

Thank you all, all advice much appreciated

I live in the far South East! Ramsgate to be exact, I am running my first one day narrative event and have 22 people confirmed, if you are running a tournament, I would say, avoid hosting around the big tournament weekends and you will easily sell out 40 people if the price point is good. 

If you want to run a narrative event, it is next level in terms of terrain, rules and theme, but will attract more people i believe as it is different. 

If you are worried, just organise a small one dayer this year and build from there, maybe even do 2 one dayers, one on Saturday and One on Sunday, make them slightly different in terms of what they offer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived