Biding My Time

AAL

I am newer to Warhammer and AoS but originally started a small Dark elf army back in 2005 that I never completed. When I got back into the hobby I was thrilled that the new game  had just started and was very welcoming to beginner. I only had one problem and that was that the army I play had yet to be updated. Rumors are that Aelves will get some sort of release roughly summer 2017 and I would rather finish painting what I have now and wait for the new shiny models before I invest too much further in AoS.

So now Im looking to find something else to fill my time GW related. Initially I was hoping a new version of mordheim would be released with the generals Handbook but that has nothappened. I was also looking at starting a 40K army so that I could play whichever game people were playing on a particular day at my flgs but, I heard that 40K may also be getting a new rule book coming out soon so I am wary to invest right before that happens. 

Is anyone else in the same boat? If so what are you going to do?

Do you have any suggestions for what I fill my time with until the Aelf release? 

I found 40k really difficult to get into, was really pleased when I discovered AOS. 

People will be playing a lot of bloodbowl at the moment with the new release of that 

But why not play your dark elves? There are rules for them and the game scales well so that even if you don't have a huge number of points it is still pretty even.

Similar situation here.

Found 40k to steep to get into before I found AoS. None of the already released armies properly appealed to me and I have no trust in every current faction being carried on, so I thought I'd build up a base for something I can reasonably expect to be released, either GA:Death or one of the mono god mortal forces.

I looked into Rotbringers and Nighthaunt, before a good look at Silvertower convinced me that Arcanites where propably close to release and appealing to me.

So now I, too, am biding my time, slowly building up, modeling and painting a Tzeentch Slaves to Darkness (and some demons) force, so, when Arcanites come out, I can dive right in with something that can eventually be a proper force.

I think in your situation I'd do something comparable.

Maybe give the Tenebrael Shard and Mistweaver Saih a good look, I think they are a good preview of Malerions (aka Malekith) forces, if you like those, a wait for the release of "Shadow Elves" could be a good Idea. When they hit, you can mix them with your already collected Dark Elves for a start, though wouldn't get new models outside those two, unless you really want a kit. I suspect most current Order Factions will move to OoP and Legacy once a replacement has hit.

44 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I found 40k really difficult to get into, was really pleased when I discovered AOS. 

People will be playing a lot of bloodbowl at the moment with the new release of that 

But why not play your dark elves? There are rules for them and the game scales well so that even if you don't have a huge number of points it is still pretty even.

I am currently playing them in small ~500 point games but I dont plan on expanding my army until their release so right now I'm looking for other stuff to paint/play as well.

2 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I looked into Rotbringers and Nighthaunt, before a good look at Silvertower convinced me that Arcanites where propably close to release and appealing to me.

I don't think you'll have long to wait for Tzeentch Arcanites. That leak on the Warhammer Community site was definitely Tzeentch something. I'd guess Steamhead are first, then the Tzeentch stuff, maybe around Easter. 

I know a lot of people have second or more AoS armies but I don't know if I would have the time to play with 2 separate armies for the same system and diversifying is more appealing to me. Maybe I will look outside of order or try and get into Kill  Team though neither space marines or tau are very exciting to me.

5 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

As a Death grand alliance player, I have lots of options for things to buy, but very little information about the future of the army. I would hate to go deep into, say, Soulblight, only to find out that they are going to remain a minor faction. So except for ghouls I'm kind of in limbo as well.

I think death has not been done yet because GW are not exactly sure how to do em. Lore wise they still fight the same way with a mix of undead and with a necro/vampire raising them. 

People are asking for new zombies on facebook though like all the time. :D

17 minutes ago, shinros said:

I think death has not been done yet because GW are not exactly sure how to do em. Lore wise they still fight the same way with a mix of undead and with a necro/vampire raising them. 

There's also some noise about GW trying to figure out how to make the Death factions distinctive enough to be copywritten. Flesh Eaters take the whole "living death-infused corpse-eating ghoul-things" and run with it to the nth degree, to the point that they transform it into something completely new. The idea is that GW is trying to figure out how to do the same thing for the other factions.

Just now, ElectricPaladin said:

There's also some noise about GW trying to figure out how to make the Death factions distinctive enough to be copywritten. Flesh Eaters take the whole "living death-infused corpse-eating ghoul-things" and run with it to the nth degree, to the point that they transform it into something completely new. The idea is that GW is trying to figure out how to do the same thing for the other factions.

I can imagine neferata and mannfred hopping around the realms corrupting kings, knights, queens tribes into nagashi cultists or vampire cultists. I mean they did it in whfb hell that's how mannfred controlled sylvania so well without putting peasants into cages. *looks at vlad*

Have you considered Silver Towers?

It keeps you within range of AoS but a distinctively new game, with interesting models (including Aelves). 

When I'm not playing AoS you can find me playing Frostgrave (non-GW), Mordheim (table top or computer), or other board games like Silver Towers / Blood Bowl.

12 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Have you considered Silver Towers?

It keeps you within range of AoS but a distinctively new game, with interesting models (including Aelves). 

When I'm not playing AoS you can find me playing Frostgrave (non-GW), Mordheim (table top or computer), or other board games like Silver Towers / Blood Bowl.

There aren't too many people playing Silver Tower in My area but I should give it a look. What would be perfect for me would be Mordheim so I should look at the computer game of it. Too bad there isnt really any of the fun modeling involved though :/

13 hours ago, shinros said:

I don't think we'll ever get 'new anything' again. 

GW have clearly realised if you just release a new version of something, only a percentage of the players who already have that thing will buy them. If every release is a new unit, theoretically everyone is interested. 

All of the AoS new units have been original ideas. Brutes instead of ordinary orcs, fyreslayers instead of ordinary duardin etc. 

On 12/4/2016 at 8:07 PM, AAL said:

Do you have any suggestions for what I fill my time with until the Aelf release? 

Also waiting on the aelf update. I have a couple of different projects. 

But for you, what about Bloodbowl? Not that much painting (compared to a totally new army)? Very fun and open games for experienced and new players. Relatively cheap. 

6 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I don't think we'll ever get 'new anything' again. 

GW have clearly realised if you just release a new version of something, only a percentage of the players who already have that thing will buy them. If every release is a new unit, theoretically everyone is interested. 

All of the AoS new units have been original ideas. Brutes instead of ordinary orcs, fyreslayers instead of ordinary duardin etc. 

Well, there are plenty of ways to variate an old unit into a new one, with only a name change and new warscroll. Bloodreavers are essentially Khorne Marauders, Blood Warrior Chaos Warriors of Khorne.

So maybe we won't see a new box called Zombies, but a box of Fleshwalker something something, that are essentially regular old Zombie battleline, while the old are moved to legacy.

Really, unless Fleshwalkers get completely axed, I can't see them being based on that realy aged kit. And I think the appeal of a shambling day of the dead faction is to great for them to get the axe.

I also wouldn't rule out the occassional redesign of a basic unit, even though GW sure seems to avoid it whenever possible. Sometimes a unit may just be to essential to not be updated eventually.

Just for the record, I really hope we don't see a combined 40k plaguezombie/AoS fleshwalker kit. Using some of the same CaD files, sure, but in the end I'd think the two deserve a very distinct looks (diseased vs. more rotten, fantasy vs imperial civilians).

7 hours ago, AAL said:

What are your side projects?

I stopped playing just before 8th. I personally collected dwarfs and had just started with Dark Elves, simultaneously my dad and I started an Ogre army together as we both liked the models. So after a hiatus of 10 years there are a lot of models for these three armies that are a joy to paint. So i'm updating those. 

Secondly which is in the planning and ordering phase right now: A Slaanesh army. I love the Slaanesh Lord on daemonic mount model and with the daemonettes and seekers in the made to order deals I finally surrendered and ordered the basis of a Chaos army dedicated to Slaanesh. I have some ideas on the Keeper of Secrets conversion and I'm thinking of tying in the chaos warriors to the lord with  spartan-like helmets. So that's going to keep me busy ;)

99110201139_LordofSlaaneshonDaemonicMountNEW01.jpg

Archived