Local GW vs. FLGS- How to cross the streams?

Mikosan

Hi guys,

A couple months back I started up a local group from the ashes of my previous gaming circle thanks to the player map here, and Facebook groups.  The most logical place for a venue was the FLGS even though it had a rather nasty reputation as anti-AoS.   Perhaps because of this we went ahead anyhow and have met there each month for the last 4 months with no problems whatsoever.  We have between 6 and 10 players every month with lots of great games and hobby happening.  Looking to grow the group myself and another club mate traveled to the not-quite-so-local-GW which is about 1-1/2 hours away from my area and about 40 min. from the FLGS.  Really great store, great manager and the guys we played were awesome opponents, much fun was had.  When we mentioned our group and where we played monthly, they were surprised any AoS was played there and politely declined the invitation to our next meet up.  So my question is: How can I convince these guys in the GW bubble(it's a pretty awesome bubble) to venture out into the wilds and hopefully grow the scene? 

Thanks,

Mike

I'd suggest keep on rolling with your local club and have the odd game at GW to get your face known.  Although you might not attract the gamers in the store you might find that the staff direct other players/customers your way if he knows there's an active AoS scene not too far away.  My local GW is about 40~50 minutes away (more on the bus) so people do travel and might not be aware AoS is even played outside GW stores!

I agree with RuneBrush, just keep on going into the GW and playing the odd game there. The staff themselves cant be anti-AOS or they would be out of a job fast enough. If they have a dedicated AoS day like my local does then play then if the customer base is vitriol.

I think it comes down to what you want to achieve @Mikosan

You can look to move the event into the GW and seek support from the manager, including any new blood created by the store. 

You can look to grow it at the FLGS who has supported you so far, and attempt to lure old WHFB players back. 

I think it's good to mix it up but keep your base at FLGS. 

Thanks for the advice guys! 

@Soulsmith- the staff at the FLGS aren't anti-AoS as much as indifferent, the customers drive the scene at this store and the fantasy scene there virtually all stuck to 8th ed or left for other systems, and so the owner dropped stock which I imagine killed some interest as the new products weren't being carried.  All this started to turn around with the GHB, though the shelves are still pretty sparse despite our group spending some regular money there. 

@MrCharisma- really just want to keep meeting like minded hobbyists and gamers.  I certainly plan to continue the monthly game days at the FLGS, and the odd day at GW.  I love the atmosphere at GW but only two tables is a bummer.  The FLGS is huge with around 20 permanent tables for various systems and enough room for a decent size tourney, plus endless amounts of terrain.

All in all these last few months have been new and challenging as I never had to look for a group before, let alone try and organize one.   Either way, it's exciting times for the hobby and I am having more fun then ever, so I'll just keep on keeping on!

I am having a similar dilemma. I live around Boston where a brand new GW just opened and the manager and store are amazing. It is extremely friendly to beginners but only has one or two tables depending on who is there etc. My FLGS just doesn't really have people that play AoS so I feel a bit stuck as someone who wants to play more games.

@AAL Have you tried any local facebook groups?  Things picked up for us once I started posting the info for group days on the local fantasy wargaming page plus the store facebook page.   Had some new guys jump in and some old guys return. 

It really all started with the player map here though.  About a week after Bowlzee put my info up there I got an email from another local cast away and we met up for a game, then started posting on facebook when and where we would be playing. Big thanks to Ben Curry for the inspiration to put myself out there btw.

Is this a US thing I wonder?  Seems the UK has loads of clubs and GW's everywhere,  do a lot of players stick to GW stores only?  If everyone I've seen posting on the local GW facebook page playing AoS came out to the FLGS for our once a month game day it would be almost 20 people, which would be awesome! 

I guess for us the challenge is how to get the various groups to plug into the wider local network. Tourney maybe? Our group seems like fluff bunnies compared to the GW scene though, lol

We have a similar community down in Nashville where I live. We have largely apathetic FLGS's that have more tables/space to play on and a rock solid GW with great staff and players. We're steadily building a consistent AoS group, primarily using Facebook, though there are still a large number of players who are disconnected from social media that are difficult to reach. 

I do think this is a common problem here in the US. Travel distances are usually longer than in the UK, making it harder to get fragmented pockets of players all in a single spot. I also wonder if the idea of gaming clubs is just not as familiar a concept here as well.

To this point, we have been bouncing between a couple of our strongest stores, including the local GW, getting games fairly consistently on weekends. We're also scheduling occasional events, which have been great. Though again, the minute an event starts to look like a "competitive" tournament, there has been a significant amount of hesitancy from a lot of our player base.

I'm currently in an area I discovered has 8 stores but for anything non-GW, great! I'm a big proponent of pay where you play. If that means ow stores, split how you see reasonable, a purchase here and there. Sure, I could save money online but then come into a GW store and play but I feel that's a disservice. OK, models in trade or ebay or presents or maybe a big ticket item you buy online to save $50 but still business at local store.

What I'm wondering when I move back to Madison w/ @StoneMonk and @Red_Zeke is will I go to new Warhammer store often? For my GW stuff only, I'll have to think about where I play and purchase accordingly. The Mortal Realms buds above may remember when Last Square was the miniwargaming store, then Misty Mt. Games (40K) and Pegasus Games picked up the slack (Fantasy/AoS). When it was PPress stuff that's easy, buy from these. But w/Warhammer brand store now in the area I guess we'll just have to see where the attention goes. Pegasus does what I think smart FLGS should do and give a rewards program, even if it's minimal. Peg gives every dollar you spend 1 pt on your VIP card; if you buy on game night (Wed for WarmaHordes, Mondays for GW) you get 2 pts/dollar spent. Then every 200 points you get a $15 voucher to cash in on a future purchase, and you can stack them to one day buy a $150 model free :) 

@David Griffin-Yeah, I have floated the idea of running a simple league with a start-collecting box as a prize at the end to maybe entice some folks, but worry that it may come across as too competitive.  At our Dec. game day I hope to get some feed back on how to incorporate some narrative elements to it rather than just play matched play scenarios at 2000pts. 

Our GW in Bridgeville really is awesome and the guys we played were great so though my time is pretty limited with the house, kids, wife, etc... I will definitely get down there for the occasional game, models, supplies.

@Veterannoob I agree completely, pay where you play.  I think in last 15 years I have only placed 3-4 online orders.  It is easy to spend at the GW, they have everything. The FLGS is seriously slacking on stock for AoS.  In talking to the owner he is reluctant to buy because the higher priced stuff like magmadroth, star-drake, maw krusha, allarielle, etc. just haven't moved.  Meanwhile I have gone there to buy things like the All-Gates book and a knight-venator and left empty-handed so not sure what he should do other than maybe push the scene more as a store?

Yeah, it's rough on big ticket items. I think some sort of discount at FLGS should be in order, and it's their store, but I'm honestly shocked, especially when there's clear competition in an area why FLGS wouldn't match or even beat a discount, even if only on one day or one line. But when it's full MSRP but a rewards program is in use that's still something.

Archived