Advice on purchases for my 2017 Mixed Destruction project

Spiky Norman

Oi Bosses!

I have finished my 2016 AoS project (Nurgle army) and I'm beginning to plan my 2017 project. I want my 2017 AoS project to be a Mixed Destruction army, so I've made some initial purchases. Now I think Destruction have many cool models, so I'm kind of wavering back and forth about which list to make and base my future purchases on, so I'd like to ask for your advice.

These are the models I've already stocked up on, so I would like to include these in some capacity.

• Savage Orruks (2xboxes unbuilt, so 40 at max or max 4 Big Stabbas)
  • Orruk Great Shaman (Can stand-in for any Orruk wizard)
  • Grot Shaman (Can stand-in for a Moonclan Grot shaman)
  • Rogue Idol
  • Orruk Warboss

I like the models listed below, so some kind of list made from a mix of the below, would be really nice:

• Grot Shaman
  • Moonclan Grot Shaman
  • Grot Warboss
  • Orruk Megaboss
  • Savage Orruk Boss
  • Orruk Brutes
  • Orruk Gore Gruntas
  • Fellwater Troggoth
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • Arachnarok Spider
  • Colossal Squig

With the above models in mind, what is the most Mixed Destruction competitive list you could come up with?

Thanks in advance!

I'm just finishing up about 3k points of "Mixed Destruction" after wavering between various subfactions for the better part of the last year.

I can field a couple formations and a good number of different strategies (depending on scenario/opponent). All in all, a very fun army.

My list ended up as ~

Megaboss on Mawcrusha - 520 pts

Megaboss - 140 pts

Weirdnob Shaman - 120 pts

Grot Shaman - 80 pts

Stonehorn - 420 pts

Kunnin Ruk - 60 pts

Ironfist - 60 pts

X 1 Giant - 180 pts

x 5 Brutes - 180 pts

x 3 Gore Gruntas - 180 pts

x 3 Gore Gruntas - 180 pts

x 30 Savage Orruk Archers - 300 pts

x 10 Savage Orruks (Spears) - 100 pts

x 10 Savage Orruks (weapon, shields) - 100 pts

x 3 Ogors - 120 pts

x 3 Ogors - 120 pts

Thank you for the advice so far!

The Kunnin' Rukk army is certainly very powerful, but it seems a bit daunting having to paint 70 (30 battleline + 40 archers) savage orruks, and I do not know how well it meshes with a mixed list? Those 70 savage orruks and the big boss is 800pts and 1280 with the Rogue Idol that I'd really like to include too. On the other hand it does output a lot of damage and at range, which is kind of rare in Destruction.

The Arachnarok, as mentioned, is certainly also a really good model to include. It looks cool, it's pretty powerful and need little synergy/support besides the Battle Brew. The giant spider doesn't really mesh too well with the Bonesplitta fluff, but I think it could be converted & painted to fit in - Either by making it into a spirit beast with a shaman on top, or by putting a couple of savage orruks on it, and making it seem like they're actually trying to kill it before they got interrupted by fighting the enemy army :-)

With the recent announcement of the new Ironjawz army box, I was also considering just buying that, and trying to mesh the content of that box with what I already own.

That would give me a list sort of like:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Orruk Warboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3 (180)
Fellwater Troggoths x 3 (200)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (480)

Battalions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Is that decent or too weak in synergy and the Leaders section?

That list will slam into anything that dares go up against it like a train. It will hit pretty hard. Are you taking the banner on your warboss? That would make up for weak synergy. A banner+general warboss is crazy good for all kinds of orruks.

However, I expect that you'll find you lose units a little quicker than you'd expect. Units of 10 and 5 succumb surprisingly easy to battleshock, once they start taking hits - a smart opponent will focus down units one by one, especially if they know how to deal with a Rogue Idol. Overall it looks like it will do generally well. Up against the current meta, it doesn't have any particularly nasty tricks up its sleeves (though few things do at this point). It's an interesting combination though, and I wouldn't second guess it.

On 30/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, Furious said:

That list will slam into anything that dares go up against it like a train. It will hit pretty hard. Are you taking the banner on your warboss? That would make up for weak synergy. A banner+general warboss is crazy good for all kinds of orruks.

However, I expect that you'll find you lose units a little quicker than you'd expect. Units of 10 and 5 succumb surprisingly easy to battleshock, once they start taking hits - a smart opponent will focus down units one by one, especially if they know how to deal with a Rogue Idol. Overall it looks like it will do generally well. Up against the current meta, it doesn't have any particularly nasty tricks up its sleeves (though few things do at this point). It's an interesting combination though, and I wouldn't second guess it.

It's to hear that the list isn't way off in terms of competitiveness. :-)

My main reason for keeping the units smaller, is that the Warboss ability is ranged based and not unit based, and the only other real ability I have that is unit based is Mystic Shield. So I figured it was better to keep them small and be a bit more flexible.

I could bring in a Gargant instead of the Troggoths, but I presume that they might be a bit more reliable than the Gargant, and both provide some health -Rend attacks.

My main worry is still not having a proper behemoth Leader, but maybe it's not a big weakness as it is. It makes me considering the Arachnarok or trying my hand at converting a Warboss on Wyvern.

Archived