Need serious help against destruction

Andy89

Hi

So me and my best bud play often but of late I've really struggled against his orc and goblin army. He fields a 30 man savage orc arrow unit that is part of the cunning ruk plus two manglers and a giant. It is too much to deal with; tonight the arrow boys unit took out my hurricanum and reduced my tree man ancient to near death. At turn 3 one of his manglers killed my wildwood rangers so i called it and we packed up.

Here is my list:

Nomad Prince

Waystrider

Waywatcher

5 sisters of the thorn

10 wildwood rangers

3 units of 3 waywatchers

Treelord

Treeman ancient

6 tree kin

Hurricanum

2000 pts

Any input would be appreciated. I am totally happy to field different units.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

We did the gifts from the heavens scenario. I deployed fairly centrally with my tree kin and ancient more to my left and my tree lord on my right. All the elves and hurricanum were between them. His archer unit was on my left facing down the treekin.
I got to go first and, not knowing where the objectives would land i didn't move much. I cast shield and thorns on the tree kin to prepare for them being shot. On his first turn he moved up a bit but not so much that if i went first in turn 2 i would be able to get in range with my shooting.
I won turn 2 and my gift from the heavens landed on my left; next to the tree kin and in front of his archers. I started shifting my army to the left. I failed to cast shield or thorns on the tree kin which really sucked.
In his turn 2 he advanced quickly. The cunning ruc gives an extra move so his archers easily got in range of my tree kin and did 10 wounds. He also managed to get a screen of goblins in front of his archers which was a problem for me.
I won the roll for turn 3. I did get shield and thorns off on the tree kin. I moved them up in charging range of his goblins or archers. I fired the hurricanum at his archers but only killed 3 (they are 2 wounds each). I then rolled double 1 on the tree kin charge and failed to get in a charge with my ancient.
His turn 3 was lethal. He got his extra shot with the archers in his hero phase and did 9 wounds to the ancient. One of his manglers zoomed forward. On his regular shooting phase he destroyed the hurricanum through shooting. His mangler got off a huge charge roll and got in on my rangers. He activated the mangler and wiped out the rangers. At that point i called it.
Definitely a hobby destroying game.
I realize i got unlucky with the location of my gift from the heaven. It put my units right where he wanted them for shooting. Perhaps my error was in not moving up the hurricanum in turn 1. It would have then been able to shoot his archers in turn 2. However it would then of got charged by his mangler...
I nust dont know how to counter a fast moving, hard hitting and heavy shooting army...

@Andy89 it sounds like you had some bad luck against you at critical times, so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I think playing defensive on the first turn also didn't do you any favours with cunning ruc. 

Based on what I've read, it sounds like your strategy revolves around your Tree Men and Rangers, and your battle plan fell apart when the archers picked them off.

Instead of telling you what you should have done (because I wasn't actually there), I'll share my thoughts;

• find a healer in your army, such as an Excelsior Warrior Priest or Wizard with Life Surge to keep your Treemen and Hurricanum alive
  • allocate points to "chaff" that can act as the first line of defence 
  • if your wizard wasn't in range, attempt to keep it in the Hurricanum bubble to increase spell success
  • deploy your army in the centre as a block, use your speed units to pivot quickly towards the objective, and attempt to engage the Savage Orcs in combat ASAP
  • use/purchase that ability to summon citadel woods... and drop them on the objective or tactically put your most important units within the forrest or break up the opponents army with them
  • Target your opponents models that buff the savage orcs to minimise the shooting as much as possible. Storm of Shemtek will do that for you when it's in range.

I don't play with Sylvaneth so you'll have a better idea of your unit choices than I do. You'll never win playing defensive so you need to get into combat and break up the army ASAP

Thanks for the advice. We are playing our games with the plan that we will try to make it to a tournament; so we are being competitive. I have my eye on vegas in February if there are spots left.
I need to get the sylvaneth book and study my options. Do you think i should change up the list?

nTo be honest.. compared to the new armies I do not think a wood elf army stands a chance, and not using the (generally undercosted) warscroll battallions isn't smart either..

Assuming you have the models you can either try:

- The waystone pathfinders (if you insist on going elves too)

- All sylvaneth (including one of their wargroves)

All sylvaneth gives you the option to take a 2+ ignore rend 1 and reroll AS of 1 TLA and gives you access to tons of healing. A TLA could also get -1 to hit.. which is pretty huge against 5+ to hit (halving damage output).  You also get a free forest which is always nice. The Hurricanum you already have fits like a glove in the gnarlrood wargrove. And Drycha with her bugs would LOVE to talk to a unit of 30 models. (On average she'd do 20 wounds I think.. so that would be 10 down BEFORE battleshock.. do the math.

In general: put the hurricanum or any prime target in cover :D (this is likely only the hurricanum since the TLA doesn't get cover save)

Btw the savage orcs are just insane for their points.. comparing them with glade guard just hurts my wood elf soul (and that is before reading the kinnin ruk rules).

11 hours ago, Andy89 said:

Thanks for the advice. We are playing our games with the plan that we will try to make it to a tournament; so we are being competitive. I have my eye on vegas in February if there are spots left.
I need to get the sylvaneth book and study my options. Do you think i should change up the list?

Honestly... I'm probably not the right person to talk about the specifics of Sylvaneth. Check out one of the other threads called Let's Chat Sylvaneth, which has the brains trust of Sylvaneth on the internet. Post your list and get feedback from the best.

I will say that there is no silver bullet list, and it also comes down to your style. I play defensive and pure to my army... so I won't be putting Sylvaneth or Stormcast into my Free People but there are people who are happy to mix them. If I was a Sylvaneth player I'd buy a Celestial Hurricanum and replace the wizard with a Branchwytch model to make it fit my theme.

Definitely take advantage of your summoning of woods... even if you have to pay for the battle plan to get it. Very handy with the teleporting rules, and inflicting wounds if you can drop it on objectives. I played 2:2 with a Sylvaneth player recently and he was super powerful with the woods (and killing models that moved through it with some unlucky dice rolling) and also split the force into the middle.

7 hours ago, Andy89 said:

Cool perspective. I have tried the waystone pathfinders and yes, it is a bit underwhelming. I will grab the sylvaneth book and see what i can do...

It might be underwhelming.. but not using a battalion is probably more underwhelming :D

Archived