Dividing your hobby time

daedalus81

Lately I'm a bit paralyzed as to how to spend my hobby time.  I'm totally ready for a local Blood Bowl league, the return of my Thousand Sons, and pushing growth in AoS.  

If my hobby had morals I would say that I should stick with AoS to make it grow more.  And I definitely don't have time for all 3 (job / kids).

How do you other parents juggle it?

I've two kids, and work evenings and weekends for royal mail.

Son is off Monday Tuesday so spend it entertaining him, and work in the evening, spend  time with tbe missus in evening's unless she wants to watch her shows. Wednesday to Friday during school hours are my time,  I've gone a bit off the hobby currently due to work being busy but I typically watch critical role or something on YouTube whilst hobbying.

I prefer long sessions as I'm currently making my entire chaos range table top worthy and tournament legal, so base costs, shading, some edging.

once it's all done (around 8-10k worth) I'll go back and then I can use shorter time sessions to do highlights and spend longer sessions doing the entire base range.

I've been called back to Tamriel as of late, I've fallen off the mmo wagon :)

When I get hobby add, I look at all the piles of projects I have to do, choose one and google conversions of it. This feeds the creative urge and keeps me up late at night :)

I have 3 young kids. I have a deal with my wife that Tuesday Thursday are hobby nights. I currently also go to game night at my FLGS every Monday. I am also fortunate that she works every second weekend so I host a game here that weekend. Currently it is only AoS as we have an escalation league running as well as a campaign but normally it's either 30k or AoS.

As for how I divide my hobby time? I like to do one unit from aos then switch to another system and paint a 30k unit. Keep things fresh since painting a horde of orruks can make one go cross eyed if done all at once.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't have kids but I am studying an MBA along with full time work and an active gym program.

I'm chipping away at my projects based on time allocation. One night I might only have 30-45 minutes, so I'll batch up all of my bases for a dry brush... and then when I have a strong 1-2hrs available, I might batch paint a certain colour. 

I paint in the kitchen on the coffee table. My paints, light and model definitely take up a lot of space but it also allows me to spend time with my wife (instead of locking myself in a separate room). At times I'll throw on a podcast and focus on painting but at least I'm available.

My wife knows that I play games at least once a month and I'll attempt to schedule cooking, shopping, and other events around it so I'm still picking up my fair share. One of my games clubs plays on a Friday night, which would be great if I was a parent.

2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I don't have kids but I am studying an MBA along with full time work and an active gym program.

I'm chipping away at my projects based on time allocation. One night I might only have 30-45 minutes, so I'll batch up all of my bases for a dry brush... and then when I have a strong 1-2hrs available, I might batch paint a certain colour. 

I paint in the kitchen on the coffee table. My paints, light and model definitely take up a lot of space but it also allows me to spend time with my wife (instead of locking myself in a separate room). At times I'll throw on a podcast and focus on painting but at least I'm available.

My wife knows that I play games at least once a month and I'll attempt to schedule cooking, shopping, and other events around it so I'm still picking up my fair share. One of my games clubs plays on a Friday night, which would be great if I was a parent.

This is almost exactly what my situation is minus the wife. Between work, applying to medical school and sports I only find 1-2 hours at night so I try and get it done one color on a unit at a time. It helps me to find a tournament a few months away and slowly prep for it that way.

I have also found that not sleeping is relatively useful to free up some extra time though not highly recommended. 

1 minute ago, AAL said:

I have also found that not sleeping is relatively useful to free up some extra time though not highly recommended. 

This may or may not help you.

I haven't been able to play as many games as I'd like, so I've been supplementing it with YouTube videos. I've watched the Warlords tournament 2-3 times, the recent Blood & Glory and a bunch of other independent video streams. It's been interesting to learn how other people play with my army (As a Free People player @Paul Conti's videos have been the most insightful) as well as a bunch of others that have taught me how my opponents might play.

I've noticed that my army list and playing style has significantly increased, and has improved my transition from WHFB to AoS.

10 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

I haven't been able to play as many games as I'd like, so I've been supplementing it with YouTube videos. I've watched the Warlords tournament 2-3 times, the recent Blood & Glory and a bunch of other independent video streams. It's been interesting to learn how other people play with my army (As a Free People player @Paul Conti's videos have been the most insightful) as well as a bunch of others that have taught me how my opponents might play.

I've noticed that my army list and playing style has significantly increased, and has improved my transition from WHFB to AoS.

This is very Helpful I'm a Dark Aelf player so I wanted to get better at general tactics before they updated my arm :).

Though I've not the same situation (on my own with no children) I do share a similar dilemma with juggling the bit of hobby time I have.  AoS isn't the only game system I play so I tend to do "focused" periods on one particular system and then park it to do the same on another.  This also gives me a bit of thinking time to work out what I want to do next.  

For example, currently I've parked my Bloodbound and am currently working on a new 40k Ad Mech force and finishing off 3 Imperial Knights.  Once I've done that I'm hoping to get back and finish off a couple of Slaughterpriests and then probably do some work on my 30k Mechanicum force before coming back to AoS next year to paint up a Bloodthirster and some Skullcrushers (also pushing me to 2k).  Not really thought beyond that though.

I fully expect my "plan" to change as new models or events appear (I know I want to do more AoS tournaments next year).  I think the worst thing I ever did was to try and do a bit of everything.  Mixing different game systems and armies is a recipe for a mess and a big hobby wobble.

The simple answer is to ditch 40k right off the bat. Just lock all that up in a box under your bed and maybe lift the lid in a year or so when GW get around to cutting out the bloat. 

I'm planning on painting up the Bloodbowl starter box and a spare team which will be a nice departure away from AOS where I'm used to batch painting blocks of 30/40 (and now 60 because of FEC) models at a time. 

I game perhaps once a week so having to choose between multiple systems would be a nightmare. Bloodbowl and AOS is a pretty easy decision though as they contrast each other nicely. 40k however only makes me gaze longingly over at other people playing AOS and I end up wishing I was one of them.

10 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I play with Paul every week, it's fun to try out new things and talk strategy and tactics all week long haha. I'm the one playing the 'Cheating Skaven' and of course Proppa Ironjawz :) I'm going to start filming some Skaven specific tactics soon...soon as I get back on the MMO Wagon.

Lack of sleep is the killer/winner. I'm really trying to be in bed by 1AM, but recently I've been up painting and prepping for 2 tournaments until 4AM most nights :)

For me: I make time to paint every single day and keep everything in a crash kit that I can set up and tear down in minutes. Even if I only get 30 minutes of painting in each day, I make progress. 

But that's really it. Just paint every day. At least an hour before bedtime. It's how I wind down. 

For the OP, I suggest working on whatever you can finish first. Looks like that's bloodbowl for now. Nobody will mind if you play AOS & 40k with primed minis. Most people aren't finished with their armies yet anyways. 

23 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I hear ya.   Between AoS, Renegade, BB, new Thousand Sons, Black Plague, and football Sundays, it's hard to squeeze in time to take my girl to sex clubs and strip joints  (not kidding).

This hobby stuff is hard to maintain. 

She's gotta get to work somehow! ;) (Kidding!) 

True story: I once dated a dancer and that's exactly where my mind went when reading your post! 

With a young baby, the missus and working 6 days a week on the afternoon shift, hobby time is a pretty rare luxury.
If I'm lucky I'll get a couple hours a week so I just slowly plug away at my army, usually batch painting units and colours. If I get bored of painting I move onto basing, if I get tired of basing I switch back to painting. I just try to be consistent and motivated but slowly and surely stuff gets done.

Got kids and a wife also besides a 40hour work week. The great part is that my wife works Monday and Friday evening so when the kids are off to bed it's hobby time for me, and the wife urges me to do some hobby stuff on Wednesday evening as well so she can have her tv program evening.

Still I find it hard to stay focussed on painting and often stray away from doing stuff like that with going on boards like these and reading posts.. commenting etc.. Or fiddling around with creating armylists, reading the realmgate wars books and noting stuff down or what not..

Recently I acquired a todo app that I can use to track my current projects.. and actually finishing those off and not get new ones beside a small update on my current army (Stormcast) so that keeps growing steadily without halting the momentum.

This month with Sinterklaas (dutch thing) and Christmas and a course to do for work it is also hard to make any progress. But christmas holiday days off will hopefully help regain some of the lost time.

On 27/11/2016 at 7:51 PM, daedalus81 said:

How do you other parents juggle it?

Badly!

My son is 9 months old and full of beans! Plus work has been crazy and I do my best to support my wife. So in the past when I've been going to an event, I usually end up with a odd Saturday here and there and do a frantic session to get things painted or assembled! Personally I hate this as I get little enjoyment out of it and doesn't get me excited about painting the next thing.

So enter the cunning plan.....

it's safe to divulge this cunning plan as my wife doesn't read these forums. Over last few weeks I've been introducing a bit of me time which is basically when my wife and son are all tucked up in bed, I can get around 30 to 45 minutes doing something I want to do. So far this has been catching up on TV shows I like or even occasionally playing on my PS4 and now I'm expanding this to doing a bit of hobby time. I have to be flexible around this but should be able to have a few sessions a week to paint my toys! :D 

1 hour ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

Still I find it hard to stay focussed on painting and often stray away from doing stuff like that with going on boards like these and reading posts.. commenting etc.. Or fiddling around with creating armylists, reading the realmgate wars books and noting stuff down or what not..

I've always been guilty of this too - which is why you'll find I rarely visit the forums during the evening or weekends!  The combination of using public transport (away from my house for about 12 hours each day) and my day job being 100% computer based means I really can't face sitting in front of a computer screen during the little bit of down time I get :D 

36 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

So enter the cunning plan.....

it's safe to divulge this cunning plan as my wife doesn't read these forums.

hahaha, I went the other way (no kid so that helps). I get encouraging the girlfriend to go ahead and go out with the girls more often. immensely increased my hobby time ;)

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

hahaha, I went the other way (no kid so that helps). I get encouraging the girlfriend to go ahead and go out with the girls more often. immensely increased my hobby time ;)

I tried that but never worked but then my wife has her own business so would only do it every now and then

Archived