Da Ghostwulfz

Sangfroid

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Either list meant I knew he would dictate first turn so I set up conservatively around 6” in (see pic) I wanted to tempt him to play for the double, if he didn’t get it but came forward then it would be game over, if he did then he would kill 2x5 brutes but my 10 and Mawkrusha would counter charge delete the bloodthirsters easily and then it would also be all over. If he didn’t play for the doubl rand instead played conservatively then if I won priority I’d make him have it (to come forward) or if he gave to me I’d sacrifice a unit of goregruntas to score but basically stay put. 

Great batrep @Sangfroid, thanks for posting it.  I got a lot out of this paragraph in particular - I had to read it a couple of times while visualising how things were playing out, but it was well worth it.  

Those Blood Tithes though...it was almost like being triple turned!  Sounds like you kept your chin up and kept battling though, I reckon my head would have dropped big time!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So been a bit busy, but here is the next boring instalment of the D Ghostwulfz at the Warchief Gt. 

game 4 was me pitted agaisnt Robert Sedgeman, another top AoS player and someone who has proved to be my nemesis in 2017, so much so in fact that we had faced each other in 4 other events this year and going into this game I was on a 12 in a row losing streak of priority rolls against him (totally not bitter or hold a grudge or anything, I am a well rounded person with no issues I promise, but yeah 12! Twelve!, Twooooeelllveeeee!) 

anyway moving on ? I knew this was going to be a tough match aside from the player because it was battle for the pass (special rule for this scenario didn’t come into play so can be ignored) and he has 2 big blocks of 40 Saurus that can auto teleport whenever he wants and 20+ units can score first on the objectives. I had also had a practice match against (and lost to)  his army 2 weeks prior with this exact same scenario, so  I knew what he was going to do and he thought he knew what I was going to do. (Yeah kunnin Mork got Skargut to have a word with Megaboss Rotgor and formulate a new plan....) 

I took the “Troll Bagging” list (I took “maximum effort” the previous time and struggled on the scenario) his lis was 

slaan 

2 x priest

saurus character

2x 40 saurus

10 saurus

bastilidon

5 camo skinks

10 skinks 

sunhost(?) battalion 

a tough list a basic strategy of go first, buff up a unit of 40 (rerolls to save, -1 to hit, can change one dice by one every phase, mystic shield, inspiring presence, rerolls 1s to hit etc.....) hope on a 1/3 chance to be able to move after free teleport (6 needed but can change a 5 to a 6) move (or not) forwards and charge the whole army across the board thus pinning you in place and then with his other units score, hope that you take too long to chew thru the 40 and if you do rinse and repeat with the other unit.  (Btw Saurus ignore rend -1) the formation gives them rend -1 and an extra attack I believe. Very nasty combo and last time I just couldn’t chew thru fast enough even with 30 Brutes becasue I had spread out to thinly to try and cover objectives.

i was too “Mork” now Morks plan via Skargut was to be more “Gork” and Rotgor was a happy Orruk. 

This time  set up knowing he would do this (a little aside a lot of people when they make an army have a trick and then trust the trick to see them thru, or they see someone do well with a “net list” then try to copy it and so play the same way they saw someone play on stream. If you know this or suspect then you can set yourself up ready for it and then hope they go thru the motions without actually thinking about what you have done.  You can often tell this about someone because they aren’t really bothered about how you deploy or are more focused about how their model patterns are than what you are doing, it isn’t always a good sign because if you can’t spot their trick then it’s going to batter you anyway :-) 

i set up with my troll and Mawkrusha forward with 5 Brutes max spaced around them in front gore pigs on the flanks, 10 Brutes tucked in behind and then chanters and Warchief limiting the options to teleport behind me. (See pic) if he made the charge I’d be able to fight back with everything except the 10 Brutes (kept these back to protect from Battleshock), if he didn’t make the charge then my entire army would be able to counter charge (and potentially get the double) either way I was confident I could do enough to clear off the first unit which then would be a race to the objectives and if I could take that off quick enough too. 

Sedge rolled the 5 (so made it a 6) moved forward and succeeded with his charge. He chose just to block the troll hag and her Brutes and the far left pigs stopping 3” away but engaged my right pigs, Mawkrusha and his Brutes.  He wanted to stop my destructive bulk and pin me. He killed a couple of brutes and 4 wounds off a pig and in return my Mawkrusha went to crazy town, with the meatrippa axe and the rend -2 Krusha attack’ I killed 18 Saurus the remaining brutes and pigs did for another 4 or 5 leaving just a few left alive going into my turn 1.

i then cleared these off with the Mawkrusha while the gorepigs, Brutes and troll hag advanced toward the objective on my right my pigs tried to go around but couldn’t get close enough to score (he had a basti and some skinks priests so outnumbered me) so it’s 5-3 to sedge turn one. If I can win the priorty I can score 5 points, pin his other 40 back with 3 pigs on the outside edge, even if they retreat they will need a double turn to get to score. My Mawkrusha team can deal with the basti score there too and I think from that position it’s strongly in my favour. Sadly I lost the priorty (13th in a row I may add). 

He moves his basti forwards (shoots my right pigs and kills them all) and charges the Mawkrusha, teleports the buffed up 40 Saurus forwards but fails his charge (he was gutted becasue it lost him 2 points but actually was a good thing becasue I’d have had an extra round of combat chopping up his saurus.) he Warchief charged my left pigs and does a couple of wounds but pins me in place. My Krusha takes 7 or the 8 wounds off the bastilidon.....

8-3 to sedge

in my turn I try to Arcane bolt the basti but the slaan can board wide dispel so does so, this is massive as it pins my 5 Brutes and Mawkrusha from assaulting his 40 Saurus.  My troll and 10 Brutes charge in to them but the 5 man can’t reach so charge his Warchief and I retreat with the pigs to threaten the Saurus flank next turn, I kill maybe 8 Saurus and lose 3 Brutes in return (1 to battleshock as I waagh to try to maximise damage) his Warchief uses a special rule and teleports instead of fights behind my lines to threaten my 4 point.  It’s 8-6 and I really need the priority now to consolidate into his 40 unit score 5 points and stop his Warchief scoring...... sedge wins (14 in a row agaisnt me now if you have been counting, I haven’t  honest????) 

he moves up ha characters to score my right objective, Warchief grabs the 4 point (my chanter was just outside 6” my bad positioning tbh)  and we bash each other a bit in the middle.  Game is now 16-6 and I’m up agaisnt it, (but it’s not over)

My only chance now is to score on the right side by killing a priest and a eternity warden, with Mawkrusha  (easy right.......)  retrieve my home objective easy as I have 3 characters there, get the double turn assault his 4 Point, and then kill his 10 Saurus (I had killed his 10 skinks earlier with pigs forgot to mention) and then I may have a chance to win because he is fast running out of models. 

My Mawkrusha does 1 mortal wound and fluffs all his attacks.... I win the priority on the 15 try and could have cried with joy if I had any tears left ?, sadly stuck on this crappy character I can’t follow thru with what I need to do and so, this effectively ends the game as it’s 16-11, he scores 1 point in his T4 i score 5 in my T5 and he then brings on camo skinks to score 5 T5 so ends up 22-16 

over those turns i kill off almost everything except the Slann, 10 Saurus and a priest and I’ve only lost 140 points (my pigs) most units a mauled though but I think VPs were something like 1500-140. 

Great game as always and as I mentioned in earlier battle reports contributed to me believing that Brutes andna Mawkrusha ar critical to Ironjawz armies, I also know (as the last 4 games with sedge have gone) that a couple of dice go different and I should have had him but I enjoyed it (as did he) and he loved the fact that he was on the back foot for a change. 

Next up Vanguard Wing for game 5 ?

2F0F8C6D-C3E2-4EC5-868A-073CBB85AE40.jpeg

663ED09B-88C7-4FDC-AD61-4EC58F77901D.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

So been a bit busy, but here is the next boring instalment of the D Ghostwulfz at the Warchief Gt. 

Nothing boring about these, I'm loving them!

I'm actually kinda surprised you chewed through the Saurus as quickly as you did...needing to do all 40 wounds when they are inspired, ignore rend -1 (so that's the Brutes screwed), are -1 to hit, reroll all saves....it sounds like a frikkin nightmare!  Did you cast the Troggoth Hag spell on them at all? 

It sounds like Metalrippa's Klaw came into its own there - I might give it another try.  I really like the Armour of Gork thing because it combos so well with the Mystic Shield and Ironclad loadout, but Metalrippa gives you that tool to deal with situations that might otherwise be almost insurmountable.  Sometimes only rend -2 will do!

11 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Nothing boring about these, I'm loving them!

I'm actually kinda surprised you chewed through the Saurus as quickly as you did...needing to do all 40 wounds when they are inspired, ignore rend -1 (so that's the Brutes screwed), are -1 to hit, reroll all saves....it sounds like a frikkin nightmare!  Did you cast the Troggoth Hag spell on them at all? 

It sounds like Metalrippa's Klaw came into its own there - I might give it another try.  I really like the Armour of Gork thing because it combos so well with the Mystic Shield and Ironclad loadout, but Metalrippa gives you that tool to deal with situations that might otherwise be almost insurmountable.  Sometimes only rend -2 will do!

Thanks dude ?

no I cast mystic shield on the Mawkrusha first turn then bolt (was dispelled) then bolt on the priest (also dispelled) then bolt on the priest again (dispelled). 

The Mawkrusha was magnificent, the 2+ to hit on full wounds was massive (3 with -1) but I got all 4 thru and wounded 4 times with rend -2 this Auto goes thru the Saurus (or left them a 6+ when shielded) in this instance 12 dead just from the fists. The same with the riptoof and choppa (metalrippa here). The smashas from the Brutes were also amazing and especially if I hit with the Klaw first often =D3 dead lizards, 

also don’t forget while they ignore rend -1 Brutes (and goregruntas) still put out a serious amount of attacks so just weight of blows takes a few down too. I also used the waaagh (lost a couple of brutes over the game to BS) so that pumped up the attacks nicely too

its amazing to thing with a waagh one brute with 2 choppas does only 1 less attack than a ghoul king (does more than an azyros) 

So my final game of the tourney was a unique scenario, basically both of our warchiefs were the objectives and they start 15” in the middle of the board. Only they can kill or hurt each other and you score by having more models in 3” than you opponent. (vp for each Warchief equivalent to the battle round so 1 turn 1 2 turn 2 etc...)

My opponent was Forrest a new addition to the Cheltenham warchiefs I’d seen at the club once or twice but not had the chance to play yet, so a great way to finish of the weekend. 

He was playing the JackArmstrongTM Vanguard wing and I elected to use Troll Bagging again, which was a bit sad as I’d only had chance to go “Maximum Effort” once over the weekend but I felt I needed the gorepigs speed again for this match up 

Forrest decided to go first (obviously) and teleported his 30 liberators across my whole army including a complete circle around my Warchief , they were immune to BS and also had +1AS from Castellant. He spread his other prosecutors out a bit to give options for later teleports and moved the drake forwards 6” from the liberators for staunch defender. His Warchief stayed put as it wasn’t allowed to move turn one.  Great tactic from Forrest score both, hold me in place and keep scoring until I’d chewed thru his liberators by which time would not  be a chance for me to catch up VP wise...... 

what he didn’t account for was the sheer kill power of 15 Brutes, (a 10 a 5) a Mawkrusha, 3 gorepigs and a troll hag. I sent my 5 Brutes to chase down his prosecutors and did the same with the other 3 pigs to his 2nd unit,in the middle of the board and threaten his Warchief. So much fighting, but basically over his combat phase, and my turn one I killed 22 liberators, and he killed my troll hag, 2 piggies, 3 Brutes from the 5 man and 2 from the 10 man and some wounds off the Mawkrusha  #BRUTES. Again the -2 rend from Krusha, metalrippa, and the brute bosses as well as the troll hags one round of shooting before she died was the difference (I had left a gap on the left to entice him to deploy his grandhammers on the troll hag forgetting about the lay low the tyrants rule which negated my -1 to hit, 10 wounds first combat round healed 4 and 10 wounds in my turn) The volume of attacks (and failing 4 saves in one round agaisnt the big fists for 6 dead liberators straight off) really hurt him but I’d set up so that if he committed every body could pile in and attack.  I don’t want this to sound over confident but having played with Ironjawz now so much I just knew that I could cut thru the liberators, I thought it would take me longer so 3-4 combat rounds, which shows I got a little luck on some of his save throws for sure, but the waaagh command abilty when used across so many units really does magnify the power of the army massively (and 2 warchanters to ensure the big hitters like Mawcrusha and brutes get their hits in) 

forrest won priorty and teleported his remaining liberators into the middle to assault the 3 gorepigs attacking his prosecutors and block my advance to his Warchief, who he retreated back and onto deadly terrain. The Drake came forwards a little more ready to charge my brutes or Pig and his judicators sideways moved to score the Warchief and also shoot stuff. Shooting took my Mawkrusha down by 5 total now, and the lone pig to one wound left (he was on it now saving like a boss), the Drake charged my brutes and pigs (eating my brute boss and one boss choppa) and the combined attacks from it and the liberators saw off the 3 gore gruntas. I also lost 2 Brutes to battleshock leaving me with a 2 Man unit and a 4 man. 

4-1 to Forrest on VPs now

in my turn I retreated the Brutes around my Warchief,  to score and then hope for a double turn to deal with the liberators (and get away from the Drake bites!!), Rotgor and the bandit move forward ready to charge the Drake, my lone pig on 1 wound charges the original prosecutors (my 3 pigs in the middle had killed the 3 there before they died) and my 5 Brutes continued to chase the other 3 bringing them back towards the middle of the board and the action.  My Mawkrusha with 7 dice took 4 mortal off with destructive bulk and a further 6 wounds with all my attacks ,  the drakes saves and attacks took my Mawkrusha down to 1 wound! Amazingly the 1 pig with one wound killed all three prosecutors (wtf! This guy is proper on it now). 

4-3 on VPs and Forrest wins priority! 

He charges my brutes and Warchief with his liberators, his Warchief retreats further away and his last prosecutors move back to his middle in deployment zone (to screen against my getting to his Warchief.) I’ll deal with the liberators first... there is 5 left all with grandhammers (I’d bellowed and shot them with Warchief I think) and they only managed to kill 2 of the 4 Brutes and 1 of the 2 Brutes so with my 3 remaining Brutes they killed 3 back and the last 2 battleshock off (drake had used it command abilty to reroll it’s wound rolls) massive swing to me there but wait.... both of my brutes units then also run off to battleshock! 

Forrest puts both units of judicators shots into my Mawkrusha but even with out mystic shied they fail to wound or I save 

then he attacks me with everything that the Drake has, nothing gets thru #IRONCLAD

Rotgor then kills the stardrake bosh! 

7-3 VPs now 

in my turn my lone pig charges 5 judicators, my warchanters run up the board (a bit late now) my Mawkrusha advances 4 massive inches to charge the other judicators or prosecutors and my Warchief runs towards the 5 Brutes and them to him to score.  My pig finnaly runs out of steam and dies to a judicators gladius and my Mawkrusha easily deals with the 3 prosecutors. 

7-6 

i win priorty! 

Mawchrush charges and deletes 5 judicators Warchief stays put and I score, Warchanter makes a huge charge and attacks the judicators and lord Castellant (and dies to no gain) 

7-10 

forrest then moves his Warchief away from my steamroller of a Mawkrusha and forgets the 3” score rule his judicators once again fail to hurt the #TITANIUM clad Mawkrusha and that’s the game because he can’t get my objective and even scoring his T5 would make the end result 12-15 (would have been 16-15 if he hadn’t made that mistake)

we play out the last turn and he charged the Mawkrusha with everything and still can’t take it down while I gut the 5 remaining judicators! 

I felt for Forrest because he had made a solid plan and played excellently, his dice left him/came to me at the end with the Mawkrusha and the  pressure of this juggernaut tearing up the field contributed to the fatal mistake however a Great fun game and left me with the standard (for me) ironjawz tourney result of 3-2 

i ended up 10th place (should have been 9th if sorted properly on VPs but meh not bothered) I also got the highest Kill points of destruction so once again grabbed the best destruction Waaaaaaaaaaaagh. If I can’t win games I can at least kill stuff :-) 

#BRUTES

FFB52D49-C210-469B-A637-F4E2261039FB.jpeg

0D6B9981-404D-4537-9B68-D01738D81968.jpeg

B1A3A795-8AC5-46D0-8246-7E4C467196E2.jpeg

16 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

what he didn’t account for was the sheer kill power of 15 Brutes, (a 10 a 5) a Mawkrusha, 3 gorepigs and a troll hag. I sent my 5 Brutes to chase down his prosecutors and did the same with the other 3 pigs to his 2nd unit,in the middle of the board and threaten his Warchief. So much fighting, but basically over his combat phase, and my turn one I killed 22 liberators, and he killed my troll hag, 2 piggies, 3 Brutes from the 5 man and 2 from the 10 man and some wounds off the Mawkrusha  #BRUTES. Again the -2 rend from Krusha, metalrippa, and the brute bosses as well as the troll hags one round of shooting before she died was the difference (I had left a gap on the left to entice him to deploy his grandhammers on the troll hag forgetting about the lay low the tyrants rule which negated my -1 to hit, 10 wounds first combat round healed 4 and 10 wounds in my turn) The volume of attacks (and failing 4 saves in one round agaisnt the big fists for 6 dead liberators straight off) really hurt him but I’d set up so that if he committed every body could pile in and attack.  I don’t want this to sound over confident but having played with Ironjawz now so much I just knew that I could cut thru the liberators, I thought it would take me longer so 3-4 combat rounds, which shows I got a little luck on some of his save throws for sure, but the waaagh command abilty when used across so many units really does magnify the power of the army massively (and 2 warchanters to ensure the big hitters like Mawcrusha and brutes get their hits in) 

WOW.  I feel like I need to draw breath after that, that was awesome!  Nice to hear a batrep featuring Ironjawz facing a top tier latest hotness army, and coming out on top.  

I guess if you had photos, you'd have posted them...so could I be cheeky and ask if you could quickly sketch up a diagram of how you set up?  An elaborate watercolour on canvas would be nice, but failing that a biro scribble on some photocopier paper would also be very well received :-)

Thanks for this series of batreps, it's been amazing to read.

Archived