High Elf Dragon Host- how is this even legal?

Agent of Chaos

I happen to be in a position to deploy 3 dragons and take advantage of the High Elf Dragon Host Battalion and have come up with the below list which is somehow legitimately possible in a 2000 point pitched battle;

Prince Imrik (General) 440

Archmage on Dragon (Phoenix Stone) 360

Drakeseer (Quiksilver Potion) 340

Dragon Host Battalion 80

20 High Elf Spearmen 160

20 High Elf Archers 200

5 Elyrian Reavers 160

2 Bolt Throwers 240

TOTAL = 1980

I usually play chaos and so recently played a game where my friend used the above list (plus a high elf chariot, an empire cannon, some freeguild archers and some crappy empire knights) while I threw everything I owned on the table (about 3,500 points worth of slaves to darkness and Khorne daemons). The dragons absolutely ate me up and I was tabled. Albeit I did kill two of the dragons and wounded the third but then I did have around 700 points more models on the table, including a Bloodthrister.  I'm not fully across every warscroll out there but what could possibly face up to 3 dragons in a 2000 point battle?

I usually play chaos

This is a telling comment - it means you've been used to playing the unmitigated garbage that Chaos has in the monster department. Looking for a 3+ save or a 4+ rerollable save or a Ward Save - try elsewhere. Looking for -3 rend - are you kidding me? If this is your baseline, then I'm not surprised that you overrate this list. Don't mention Skarbrand going to kill 20 Chaff Models in the front of the enemy bunker and then get beaten up by a block of 20 models without rend. The few good/decent ones they have, e.g. Thanqless, The Glottkin, Big Archaon (captain rend -1) and especially Tamurkhan are wildly overcosted. The Chaos War Mammoth is vaguely interesting because of the mortal wounds mechanic. To be fair, an army of 4 Jabberslythes is essentially an autowin against Ironjawz as they are highly likely to dump all their mortal wounds onto them. Particular atrocities include the Slaughterbrute, Mutalith, Cockatrice, Lammasu, Great Taurus and Drazhoath (because Chaos Dwarves haven't invented a 3+ save - because they are so good with technology).

Rant over. 3 Stonelords (two with Battlebrew) would table the 3 Dragons without even breaking a sweat after making an easy first turn charge - especially the two 5+ save ones. They would routinely charge you even if you backlined the units. To be fair, you'll probably bunker up, but nevertheless, they will still crush a lot of stuff, then they will not die to your counterpunch, then they'll double down Battlebrew and still be able to table a Dragon in one round of combat (25 wounds against a 4+ save at full power on the charge, I reckon they will still do 14 even when crippled).

Similarly, a single Stonelord and 3 Thundertusks riding Huskards (deliberate mistake) would kill Imrik automatically if they can manage to roll three 2+s (incidentally the regular dude on Dragon is way better as he has a rerollable save) or if they can roll two 2+s and get 2 more mortal wounds from Blood Vultures. That leaves the two munchkins on their 5+ saves. If you are thinking that you can keep them on the backline and they will be safe, you're sadly wrong. There's a 2 inch safe zone from first turn Thundertusk shooting (assuming they roll the maximum) - your base size might put you out of it. I got this wrong in a game with my Fyreslayers when I had the temerity to put a Runemaster 3 inches off the back line.

There are many better monsters in the Monstrous Arcanum. 3 Carmine Dragons are a lot better; let alone 3 Magma Dragons; a Magma Dragon, Dread Maw and Rogue Idol etc.. 

Even the humble Forest Dragon is way better than the High Elf equivalents. 4+ rerollable attacks and the best of all breath weapons in the right army. I'd love to pair two Carmine Dragons with a Forest Dragon and use the double speed spell on the Forest Dragon. Yes - so I'll be attacking with all 3 of my Dragons now and you'll be attacking last....

Even the Stardrake has the merit of being genuinely rock solid against non-mortal wound attacks with the obligatory Castellant buff, eating Daemon Icon Bearers and netters.

Nagash would lock down your magic and laugh at your mortal wound output (less than half the mortal wounds would get through and he'll even reflect one in 6). If you got the charge on him, you might get lucky and kill him with the Dragon Maw attacks. If you don't then maybe 40% chance he'll Hand of Dust you next turn (it's not quite an autocast, unlike his Arcane Bolts).

Great comments Nico! Don't see myself coming up against Nagash or any Stonelords etc anytime soon so thats good. I've read a lot of discussion about Jabberslythes being the best chaos monster as far as bang for buck goes. Will be sure to check out the other Prince on Dragon to see if I prefer him over Imrik.

One thing you havn't counted on is the battalion ability of combining the dragon's breath on one target (which I dont think you could do with the other dragon combos you mentioned). Possibility of 4D6 mortal wounds! And they continue to breathe fire whilst in combat. Perhaps I've been unlucky but my opponent always seemed to hit with the Dragon Jaws attacks which do D6 wounds (lost 5 chaos knights in one attack when all 3 jaw attacks got through and did 15 damage!). My lack of shooting means I need to cross the table to engage them by which point the archers, bolt throwers and dragon breath have whittled me down and the dragons do the business in combat. 

I just noticed where you said you play Slaves to Darkness - they are abysmal and a great match up for this kind of bunker, mortal wound spam, counterpunch army. Ironjawz would also hate this.

Good point about the formation. It is instead of the regular fire attack at least.

18 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I happen to be in a position to deploy 3 dragons and take advantage of the High Elf Dragon Host Battalion and have come up with the below list which is somehow legitimately possible in a 2000 point pitched battle;

Prince Imrik (General) 440

Archmage on Dragon (Phoenix Stone) 360

Drakeseer (Quiksilver Potion) 340

Dragon Host Battalion 80

20 High Elf Spearmen 160

20 High Elf Archers 200

5 Elyrian Reavers 160

2 Bolt Throwers 240

TOTAL = 1980

I usually play chaos and so recently played a game where my friend used the above list (plus a high elf chariot, an empire cannon, some freeguild archers and some crappy empire knights) while I threw everything I owned on the table (about 3,500 points worth of slaves to darkness and Khorne daemons). The dragons absolutely ate me up and I was tabled. Albeit I did kill two of the dragons and wounded the third but then I did have around 700 points more models on the table, including a Bloodthrister.  I'm not fully across every warscroll out there but what could possibly face up to 3 dragons in a 2000 point battle?

My Alarielle and a TLA killed 2 dragons (drakeseer and archmage) and 10 swordmasters in 1.5 turn (it was in a 1500 point game.. and after my opponent shook my hand and left). He didn't play it smart (just moved the dragons forward his turn one into charge range, then ate my shooting, magic and charge.. and then I got the double turn.. he did 3 or 5 damage to the goddess in the first turns combat which where healed in my next turn).

Archived