TGA Official Generals Handbook 2 feedback

Ben

On 4/25/2017 at 10:05 AM, staks said:

Some consideration for summoning in GH2.  I'm yet to play a game but have been doing quite a lot of reading about the current issues addressing how to allow summoning in matched play.

What if the summoned unit disappears if the summoner takes a wound?

AND/OR

What if the summoner cannot move / activate whilst he has a summoned unit on the board?  That would prevent the issue of a lord of change summoning a lord of change summoning a lord of change etc.

Summoning is pretty unsatisfying right now, but I don't see any obvious solution for fixing it that doesn't at the one extreme make it too powerful and at the other extreme make it a completely unappealing choice. I think what you want to feel as a player when you summon a unit is that you've A) achieved something cool and B) made a dramatic difference to the game. I don't think anyone with a genuine love for fantasy, in their heart of hearts, really wants summoning to just feel like a like-for-like strategic alternative to deploying the unit at the start of the game.

But how to hit that feeling without making summoning overpowered? Tricky.

5 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Summoning is pretty unsatisfying right now, but I don't see any obvious solution for fixing it that doesn't at the one extreme make it too powerful and at the other extreme make it a completely unappealing choice. I think what you want to feel as a player when you summon a unit is that you've A) achieved something cool and B) made a dramatic difference to the game. I don't think anyone with a genuine love for fantasy, in their heart of hearts, really wants summoning to just feel like a like-for-like strategic alternative to deploying the unit at the start of the game.

But how to hit that feeling without making summoning overpowered? Tricky.

make it a rule of 1.  One summoning attempt per game that does not count towards your point total?  This would mean if it gets unbound or you roll horribly that attempt is gone.   ?

1 minute ago, Auticus said:

How to make summoning awesome without being overpowered?

Stop letting it go off on a 5+.  Seriously.  Thats lame.  Thats why its overpowered.  When they make it almost an auto success when you cast it, you can spam it and break the game.

In my campaign summoning doesn't cost points.  However, core battleline units are summoned on an 8+, units that are not battleline and monsters < 10 wounds on a 9+, and monsters with 10+ wounds on a 10+ and thats not modifiable in anyway.

Summoning might go off twice a game barring super lucky dice, and it remains cool but doesn't bend the game.

I thought about mentioning this, and it probably is the best solution, but this isn't something that can be fixed in the General's Handbook. It's a simple idea, but a nightmare to implement, what with all the units already out there that have their casting value baked into their warscroll, and the summoners that are presumably pointed with the likelihood of successfully casting a summoning spell in mind. That's a lot of material that would need to be reviewed and revised. And GW have been fairly reluctant so far to make changes to the warscrolls.

10 minutes ago, Auticus said:

From GW no it probably wont ever happen.  From our end you simply just say "ignore what casting values exist on warscrolls, use these three values instead".

That's fine for the 1% of games that happen at tournaments (assuming you could even convince all TOs to do it), but what about the other 99%? As with most things, I can't see it catching on without some kind of official intervention.

But actually I'd be very surprised if they touch summoning in GHB2. It's unsatisfying, but it isn't game-breaking in any way and I don't see very many people clamoring for it to be changed.

1. Change the summoning Dinamic

2. Release battletome rules ( Magic Spells, Command Traits, Artifacts etc...) for armies that have outdated battletomes Seraphon

3. Fix points for:

-Seraphon ( overcosted units)

-Beast Claw Riders ( stonehorn up, mournfang down)

-Kunning Rock

4. Add battleline units for armies with limmited options:

- Ogors

-Skaven ( stormvermin could be battleline in a pure skaven alliance for example)

5. Add scenarios that are different to controlling objectives

6. Don't put a stormcast release every other release, it starts to become boaring and It looks as if the rest of the armies didn't matter 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 2:57 PM, Louzi said:

1. First: the GH is overall great!

2. I wish there would be more battalions with points.

3. In my opinion the line of sight is a big issue in competetive play and it would be cool, if they could find a solution for it.

4. Battleline! Those damn battlelines are good for some factions, but rly bad for others and destroying lists, e.g. the Stormcast have rly good options, but fyreslayers have to stick with Vulkite Berserkers or make a useless model (Runemaster) their general.

5. Allegiance abilities: Not balanced. While Death and Chaos are ok, Destruction is too powerful and Order just useless.

Compleatly agree with everything you sayed

On 7/10/2017 at 11:52 PM, Xanax Lot said:

6. Don't put a stormcast release every other release, it starts to become boaring and It looks as if the rest of the armies didn't matter 

Honestly they can just full stop doing Stormcast releases. Go to GW site and there are 45 products for SCE. Sylvaneth already had existing models before they fleshed them out as a faction, and they only have 15 products. SCE are beyond overdone and don't need anything else. They can already do everything that every other army can do anyways.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 8:34 PM, Sleboda said:

2. Isn't kind of a fundamental concept of the game that you need to get to a 6 after modifications for lots (and lots and lots) or effects in the game to kick in? And would it not stand to reason that a lot of balance/rules design/point gets based on this idea? Wouldn't tossing this rule on top of it have faaaaar reaching, unforeseen consequences?

No sir, I don't like it! :)

6. Why? How would you adjust the point values of all missile troops to account for this loss of an ability that was clearly part of the design of the game and thus these units?

Looks like it was a good idea after all.  ?