Individual Faction Forums

Hi folks,

Does anyone else find that the individual race forums are dying a bit of a death? We're struggling to keep The Underempire going at the minute due to a lot of the long term Mods having a hobby break following the explosion of the Old World!

I know Asrai was also struggling and last time I checked they were considering a merge with Ulthuan, not sure if that ever happened.

I'm going to try and help The UE and get more AoS love. There's still a lot of animosity among people who used to talk a lot which is daft. The site also needs restructured as its stuck in WHFB mode which doesn't help. 

Anyway, anyone out there still using forums like these or is TWF/TGA where you find yourself going? 

Despite their army going 'last chance to buy' I have noticed that the Lords and Ladies of the Round Table of Bretonnia are pretty much just carrying on business as usual. Tactical discussion has died, but still plenty of army plogs, general chitchat, although the Round Table has been kind of expecting their army getting binned for years so has sort of come to terms with the changes quite quickly. 

The Ogre Stronghold seems as ebullient as ever. Some good gnoblogs and AOS chat over there. With their Twitter presence as well now they seem to maybe even be a little more visible than before. 

Not been on Asrai in ages, but it wasn't the busiest forum to begin with. I remember after the brief star that was their 8th end book dropped I was refreshing active topics all day and seeing really very little discussion. 

2 hours ago, yarrickson said:

The Ogre Stronghold seems as ebullient as ever. Some good gnoblogs and AOS chat over there. With their Twitter presence as well now they seem to maybe even be a little more visible than before. 

Yep, we're also getting a website refresh to make it more user interactive and mobile friendly, with proper blogs, tagging and other cool features (the new software is actually the same software as this place), 'The Stronghold Show' will be appearing on YouTube soon, and we're expanding our coverage into the entire Destruction Grand Alliance :)

So we're going full steam ahead with Destruction in AoS, while also supporting 9th Age and Kings of War too.

This is one of the reasons for starting the TGA site.  The individual forums are all slowing down, so a single place to help them all promote each other is a great thing IMO>

Niall, are you a mod at Underempire?  Do you want a section on here to promote your site?

Hello folks :)

Glad to hear the Ogre Stronghold is on the up :)

Ben, I'm not a mod at the moment, but the mods (Council of XIII :p) are currently discussing how best to promote the many systems that people now use.

ill let you know if things change and we want to get some promotion here :)

Bugman's seemed to die off a while back. There were angry voices when AoS hit, and then the place felt half empty.

I think the major issue with such places is that they are outdated and just not that relevant.  The new alliance/faction system has weakened the appeal of race specific forums.  

In the old days, each army was such a commitment, lots of us generally stuck to one race.  I'd spent so many hundreds of pounds on dwarfs, it would have been a lifestyle choice to start anything new.  Because of this, Bugman's Brewery was the only race-specific forum I ever needed.  I knew that everyone else there collected the same army as me so all of the discussion was relevant to me.

Those days are gone.  Factions today are numerous.  Player's armies are far more varied.  Even duardin, previously pretty monotone in their range of choices, are now splintering in different aesthetic directions.  We're getting fyreslayers, steamhead etc.  We're also getting factions like the Ironweld Arsenal, which mixes races together.  Should this also be part of a duardin forum?  I'd hazard a guess that factions like this appeal to fewer dwarf players than anything dwarven did in 8th, when the only 'faction' choice was 'dwarfs'.

In effect then, is the logical step forward not army or race specific forums, but grand alliance specific ones?  (This assumes factions to be too small to support forums of their own).  Is there any need, in fact, to have separate forums, when this site has sections for each alliance?  I'm not in a hurry to return to Bugman's to look for grumbling old dwarf players and listen to their grudges against AoS.

You should definitely move your blog here.  Grow the site!

In a weird way, giving the AoS community all this choice seems to be having the effect of bonding us closer together. 

In the past players pigeon holed themselves as followers of a specific army/race.  They hung around in darkened corners of the internet discussing the minutiae of their army’s obscure rules loopholes.  AoS, with its new-found social mobility, doesn’t encourage such cliques to form.  One moment I’m playing skaven and debating with one player how many jezzails is too many; the next minute I’ve added a load of daemons of Tzeentch to my warband and I’m discussing the potential of chain summoning with a different player.

This freedom of movement may be what’s killing the old forums.  It’d get frustrating for a player wanting to discuss his chaos force, having to switch between Herdstone, Chamber of the Everchosen, Daemonic Legions etc.

I reckon forums in general took a bit of a hit post-AoS, from what I can see it wasn't just the race-specific ones but even the all-encompassing ones too such as The Warhammer Forum and WarSeer.

I think this was due to a mix of things - such as people leaving the GW hobby or taking a 'wait and see' approach with AoS, AoS moving focus away from points and 'army building under restrictions' which reduced discussion on unit comparisons and army lists, in some cases mods and admins maybe not feeling too enthusiastic about AoS and/or the alternatives (I felt like this initially too) so didn't push them much on their websites, and the rise of Facebook groups and Twitter has had an impact on forum activity all over the net (not just wargaming forums, a lot of sites are feeling it!).

That said, with all the recent good news about the changes with AoS and GW, as well as the broadening of the different faction releases as we move forward, I think we may be through the worst of it and could start seeing an increase in activity on several forums, as some people take another look at AoS and new blood enters the scene. IMO this hub is a great idea from Ben because it's inclusive of the entire AoS community, rather than cutting out the other forums, blogs, channels etc, and he has enthusiasm for the game and the community in spades - I think it'll grow to be an invaluable resource for AoS fans and it'll be good for everyone involved :)

As for the Stronghold, the expansion of my coverage into the entire Destruction Grand Alliance felt pretty natural to me, as I started out in the hobby as a greenskin player (solely played Orcs and Goblins for a full 9 years before Ogres came along), and overall they're a pretty damn good fit with the Ogres! :D

9 hours ago, The Ogre Stronghold said:

IMO this hub is a great idea from Ben because it's inclusive of the entire AoS community, rather than cutting out the other forums, blogs, channels etc, and he has enthusiasm for the game and the community in spades - I think it'll grow to be an invaluable resource for AoS fans and it'll be good for everyone involved :)

Totally agree with this.  I'm looking forward to watching this site grow from Tuesday.  I shall never again have moments of weakness where I'm tempted onto Warseer.

Now all we need is an in-house rumourmonger to make this the place to come for news.

On 4/29/2016 at 11:16 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

Bugman's seemed to die off a while back. There were angry voices when AoS hit, and then the place felt half empty.

I think the major issue with such places is that they are outdated and just not that relevant.  The new alliance/faction system has weakened the appeal of race specific forums.  

In the old days, each army was such a commitment, lots of us generally stuck to one race.  I'd spent so many hundreds of pounds on dwarfs, it would have been a lifestyle choice to start anything new.  Because of this, Bugman's Brewery was the only race-specific forum I ever needed.  I knew that everyone else there collected the same army as me so all of the discussion was relevant to me.

Those days are gone.  Factions today are numerous.  Player's armies are far more varied.  Even duardin, previously pretty monotone in their range of choices, are now splintering in different aesthetic directions.  We're getting fyreslayers, steamhead etc.  We're also getting factions like the Ironweld Arsenal, which mixes races together.  Should this also be part of a duardin forum?  I'd hazard a guess that factions like this appeal to fewer dwarf players than anything dwarven did in 8th, when the only 'faction' choice was 'dwarfs'.

In effect then, is the logical step forward not army or race specific forums, but grand alliance specific ones?  (This assumes factions to be too small to support forums of their own).  Is there any need, in fact, to have separate forums, when this site has sections for each alliance?  I'm not in a hurry to return to Bugman's to look for grumbling old dwarf players and listen to their grudges against AoS.

Yeah, I'm trying at least to the AoS section of Bugmans but it's very low traffic and interest and a low amount of things to say:)

10 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

Yeah, I'm trying at least to the AoS section of Bugmans but it's very low traffic and interest and a low amount of things to say:)

I say just let it die.  The game has changed and the whole concept of structuring armies has been drastically altered.  This forum should fill up nicely tomorrow.  Looking forward to the new blood!

Asrai.org will be joining the host of Druchii.net but retain its DNS. At least, that's the plan and we're working on it. Ulthuan might join the team as well, but it's not clear how the three elven sites will move on from there. There is talk of a forum merger (not just host merger) but nothing has been decided yet. AoS isn't exactly lauded on these forums, sadly.

1 hour ago, Daeron said:

Asrai.org will be joining the host of Druchii.net but retain its DNS. At least, that's the plan and we're working on it. Ulthuan might join the team as well, but it's not clear how the three elven sites will move on from there. There is talk of a forum merger (not just host merger) but nothing has been decided yet. AoS isn't exactly lauded on these forums, sadly.

Good to know! 

I haven't been on Ulthuab/Asrai in ages and the negativity (same for Underempire) puts me off visiting.

Archived