which Battleline unit for my spider rider

Splax

Hi

I have a large Spider fang army  and im looking for advise for which battle line unite would be a good fit for the model i already own. I dont have any preferance but more looking for imputs from the more expérience player.

thanks

I was lucky enough to win a local tournament with this list:

Gobboboss on Spider

Arachnarok + Shaman

10 Spider Riders

20 Nighgobbos

1 Fanatic

10 Savage Orks

1 Rock Lobba

I was, like you, struggling alot with the battleline options where destruction is having some Problems anyways (discussed often enough). It was revealed though, that the gobbos are really nasty to avoid in that List when spreaded widely and the Fanatic was ensuring that I got the charge on the target I wanted (spiders are obviously flanking). So the Nightgobbos are defenitely a great choice in these Spiderlists. The Savage Orcs did close to nothing and are exchangable, but I couldnt afford the 20 extra points for a 2nd Gobbo-unit, because I would have lost the fanatic then and I valued him very high and kind of necessary in that list.

Hope that helps a bit - greez

I was, like you, struggling alot with the battleline options where destruction is having some Problems anyways (discussed often enough). 

Haha - try playing Chaos (especially Slaves to Darkness). I know you're trying to soften what you say, but it still makes me laugh.

Destruction only struggle to choose because their Battleline units are so broken/undercosted. Moonclan Grots especially - Bravery 7, -1 to hit them, and Fanatics for only 120 points for 20, and the broken wounds per point ratio of Savage Orruks. If you want an inherent Battleline Unit with melee rend (very rare), then there's Orruks.

I disagree that moonclan grots are "broken" or "undercosted".

The bravery 7 is only when they are out of combat (goes down to 5 for a unit of 20 in combat, and 4 as soon as you kill 1!).

120pts for 20 wounds on a 5+ save if you take them with shields is certainly not broken either, there's a lot of rend kicking about! Also 120pts doesn't get you any fanatics as they are 30 each.

On topic, the spider risers become battle line if you keep the entire list as spider fang, which I really like as a theme, so I think you should just go with that!

5 hours ago, Nico said:

Haha - try playing Chaos (especially Slaves to Darkness). I know you're trying to soften what you say, but it still makes me laugh.

Destruction only struggle to choose because their Battleline units are so broken/undercosted. Moonclan Grots especially - Bravery 7, -1 to hit them, and Fanatics for only 120 points for 20, and the broken wounds per point ratio of Savage Orruks. If you want an inherent Battleline Unit with melee rend (very rare), then there's Orruks.

I think Slaves to darkness especially has a good battleline option, in that you can cheaply get it out of the way. Marauders are costed the same per model as grots, but you have the option to take 10 instead of forced to take 20. You only need to spend 180 points on battleline - compared to the minimum 300 for Destruction (in a 200 point game). 

The bravery 7 is only when they are out of combat (goes down to 5 for a unit of 20 in combat, and 4 as soon as you kill 1!).

120pts for 20 wounds on a 5+ save if you take them with shields is certainly not broken either, there's a lot of rend kicking about! Also 120pts doesn't get you any fanatics as they are 30 each.

On topic, the spider risers become battle line if you keep the entire list as spider fang, which I really like as a theme, so I think you should just go with that!

They are bravery 5 if you have 19 models even in melee.

They are a 4+ save vs shooting because double banners is allowed by the FAQ - very broken.

Regarding Marauders - Clanrats are miles better.

Thankfully not - Savage Archers - I mean Bonesplitterz need to stay in their box to be truly effective. You would need a battalion that contains other destruction units yet is stamped Bonesplitterz on the top (cf. Gnarlroot Wargrove for Sylvaneth).

Whilst Spider Riders in a Spiderfang allegiance army is the obvious choice, an idea I had previously was to use the rules of either Common Grots or Moonclan Grots, but represented on board by Forest Goblin miniatures.

You could either base Spider Riders without their mounts on 25mms, as well as using spare crew from the Arachnarok Spiders, or use the old metal Forest Goblins, or even a third party manufacturer. Fanatics and/or Nasty Skulkers could be represented by mini spiders or spider swarms on smaller bases.

Just an idea, if you fancied a bit of variation. :)

15 hours ago, Nico said:

They are bravery 5 if you have 19 models even in melee.

They are a 4+ save vs shooting because double banners is allowed by the FAQ - very broken.

Regarding Marauders - Clanrats are miles better.

Bravery 5 is still awful! Especially in a unit full of single wound 6+ save models

On paper they are ok, certainly not broken

7 hours ago, Dangermouse425 said:

Whilst Spider Riders in a Spiderfang allegiance army is the obvious choice, an idea I had previously was to use the rules of either Common Grots or Moonclan Grots, but represented on board by Forest Goblin miniatures.

You could either base Spider Riders without their mounts on 25mms, as well as using spare crew from the Arachnarok Spiders, or use the old metal Forest Goblins, or even a third party manufacturer. Fanatics and/or Nasty Skulkers could be represented by mini spiders or spider swarms on smaller bases.

Just an idea, if you fancied a bit of variation. :)

I have a heavily converted forest goblin force and these conversions are easy to do.  I used unmounted Forest Goblins for infantry (they look like they are crouching in the grass).  I used the archers from the Arachnarok howdah as a unit of archers on foot.  I converted fanatics over using the web ball being held by an Arachnarok crew member to be the end of the Fanatic's ball and chain.  I have some of my photos of conversions up here, although many of these I haven't posted yet.

6 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I have a heavily converted forest goblin force and these conversions are easy to do.  I used unmounted Forest Goblins for infantry (they look like they are crouching in the grass).  I used the archers from the Arachnarok howdah as a unit of archers on foot.  I converted fanatics over using the web ball being held by an Arachnarok crew member to be the end of the Fanatic's ball and chain.  I have some of my photos of conversions up here, although many of these I haven't posted yet.

Dang man those are super cool. What are the spiders supposed to be? And why a nearly-entire unit of uni-pose?

Just now, Furious said:

Dang man those are super cool. What are the spiders supposed to be? And why a nearly-entire unit of uni-pose?

I made a bunch of different units of spiders based on their markings.  The kit itself is normally monopose, so I cut off legs of all my spine backs and added the command legs (which are the boney legs).  In 8th, they were going to be my Deff Creepers.  I have whole units of Deathshead, Lavabacks, and Wolfspiders (hairy backs with stripes) ready to go; I'm just waiting to see what GW does with Spiderfang as a whole.  Right now, the painting and coloration just help differentiate between units when I run multiple units.  The plan is to do an Arachnarok that corresponds to each of the different spider types.  

Archived