Battlefield Tron - Tales from the Mortal Realms

Right, let's kick off my battle report thread with a game against one of the best miniature painters in the country. This was Gray's first game of AOS, fielding his Aelves in a demo game using the Pre-Emptive Strike battleplan.

The Doomed Legion of Helspoint

1 x Wight King w/ Black Axe
1 x Wight King w Infernal Standard
1 x Necromancer
5 x Black Knights
10 x Grave Guard
20 x Skeletons w/ spear and shield
20 x Skeletons w/ sword and shield

The Guardians of New Avelorn

1 x Handmaiden of the Everqueen
6 x Sisters of Avelorn
10 x Swordmasters of Hoeth
1 x Lothern Skycutter
5 x Shadow Warriors
5 x Ellyrion Reavers
5 x Dragon Princes of Caledor

For those not familiar, the goal of this battleplan for the attackers is to destroy the Realmgate (via melee attacks). However, the attackers filter on the battlefield, each unit having to roll a 3+ in order to deploy. The defending unit is also restricted initially. Both sides have means of bringing on reinforcements during the battle, and are able to recycle units that have been destroyed earlier in the battle. It's a cool battleplan for small forces.

BR_0316_1.JPG

The Aelf force was the smaller one, and so they took on the role of the invader, trying to secure a beach-head around a Realmgate in the Realm of Shyish. The Deathrattle forces begin to react to this breach, slowly surrounding the Realmgate, seeking to destroy it and prevent the scouting force from becoming a full-blown invasion.

At the end of turn 4 the battle ends on a roll of a 1-2, or a 1-3 at the end of Turn 5, and automatically at the end of Turn 6.

I got really unlucky initially, as I rolled a lot of 1's and 2's for my off the table units, meaning I couldn't reinforce my troops or make headway towards the gate. He had a lot of shooting which demolished my troops, and I couldn't get the Necromancer on until Turn 3 to summon more. He took out my units too quick for my banners to regenerate. I tried splitting my skeleton units into smaller groups of 10, but that didn't help as I kept rolling too low to be able to bring them on!

BR_0316_2.JPG

BR_0316_3.JPG

My Fortunes changed at the end of Turn 3. I summoned a unit of Grave Guard, 11" from an opening Gray had left exposing the Realmgate. I got priority, and in turn 4 I rolled double 6 for the charge! And then put 7 out of 8 wounds on the Realmgate before his Swordmasters wiped them out. Lucky, the game continued into Round 5.

BR_0316_4.JPG

At this point, I had half my army on the right flank being held up by a single surviving Shadow Warrior. Just. Would. Not. Die. I kept failing my hit and wound rolls, and he kept making his saves. Needless to say, he will be getting some extra modelling attention by Gray in memory of his valiant efforts.

BR_0316_5.JPG

Onto Turn 5, and finally the bulk of my army showed up. Gray tried to fortify. I missed a lot of long charges, but did manage to get the Black Knights into the Realmgate. They whiffed and didn't do any wounds, and were poked to dust by the Handmaiden. I hoped the game would continue into Turn 6. One wound remaining on the Realmgate!

BR_0316_6.JPG

Luckily, I rolled a 4 and we go to round 6.

I charge en-masse. My Wight King with the standard gets a double 6 on the charge! Enough to get him into the Realmgate in the only spot not covered in Aelves. I do his attacks first, and thankfully manage to take it down.

SUCH AN EXCITING FINISH!

BR_0316_7.JPG

The pesky Aelves are now cut-off from Ghyran and will now enjoy an eternity of undying servitude.

Archived