Completely New Army Concepts

hobgoblinclub

17 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Nice article! I love old GW history stuff. There seems to be scant little of it around. It seems nobody who worked at GW or Citadel in the early days took any photos either. 

It was the mid to late 80s no internet (well as we know it now) or camera phones. The Stone Age basically ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably wishing too much here but hey, dreams are free! Soulblight

For me i've always been keen on a whole Vampire Army and with AOS lore being so new and interesting I can't imagine why they couldn't do it. Mabye organise them into a hierarchical ability driven system. The ordinary Vampire drinks normal Human blood ( mabye they farm them? slavery etc ) while the higher echelons of the midnight aristocracy only drink the blood of great sorcerers or heroes in the like, to confirm and obtain power? Plus its an opportunity to give Death an elite kind of force with a whole new range of sick models. 

Clearly a list would be an issue but once again IMAGINATION! They could have slave Human ( serfs ) chaff units while the more elite Vampiric units and heroes put in the hard hitting side of things? Have a blood drinking mechanic where is a Lord or hero is wounded and are near said crappy chaff peasants you can kill some of them to heal wounds? Or in the same way use the chaff units for buffs? like once again a sorcerer drinks the blood of a slave and gets lets saaay plus one to casting spells? 

Never going to happen but its just an idea

One of the cooler vampire sects I've heard of in AoS are those abstinant monks who turn in to Vargulfs, would love to see that in game! There's a lot more scope to do/expand upon the old Vamp schools (can't remember the name now Necrarchs etc!) in AoS. Would love to see a full book on different kinds definitely

6 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

Clearly a list would be an issue but once again IMAGINATION! They could have slave Human ( serfs ) chaff units while the more elite Vampiric units and heroes put in the hard hitting side of things?

I think living humans fighting for Death in the future could be a possibility. I'd be interested. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Water spirits. Like Sylvaneth, but for water instead of wood. Throw in some sirens/mermaids, maybe fishmen. Summonable water-feature terrain. Less emphasis on resilience, more on withdrawing, restoring lost wounds, hit-and-run.

Nice. Definitely hit and run. I can see a troll (or some other big gribbly) putting its fist through a water nymph, before she turns to liquid and runs away into the dry earth. 

6 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think living humans fighting for Death in the future could be a possibility. I'd be interested. 

I was listening to the Mortal Realms podcast about Shyish and that DEFINITELY sounds like a possibility. If you haven't heard the podcast or read the book (which I haven't), they share stories about humans who willingly look up to the Vampires because they "saved" them from Chaos.

12 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Water spirits. Like Sylvaneth, but for water instead of wood. Throw in some sirens/mermaids, maybe fishmen. Summonable water-feature terrain. Less emphasis on resilience, more on withdrawing, restoring lost wounds, hit-and-run.

I really like this idea. Perhaps give them an innate ability like Ethereal, or some sort of special "bonus save" to represent them just being so hard to put down for good. Regen if near water features, said water perhaps gives no bonus to saves to non-water units and also slows their movement?

I had the idea for a summoned water feature that started as a spring with a 2" diameter, but then you could add a 6" section of stream to it, or another stream section, in each of your hero phases — so instead of Sylvaneth dumping trees everywhere, you get a slowly spreading feature that can weave in-and-out of small gaps.

For being hard to catch, maybe something like:

At the start of the combat phase, if this unit did not charge this turn, you may move it up to D6 inches, but must end this move more that 3" away from all enemy units.

Put that on a fragile but expensive unit with short-ranged shooting, and give them decent protection against shooting. Keep their base movement fairly low to balance the extra move.

39 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Take the force of nature angle. Perhaps expand it to an Arcane Elementals faction? Air, Earth, Fire and Water?

Hmm… you could do water elementals + fishmen, air elementals + birdmen, earth elementals + insect men, fire elementals + … dragon men maybe?

The you could get different battleline troops and different bonuses for having a purely elemental army (but with all four elements), or for focusing on a single element but having mortal troops to fight alongside them.

I think If I had to fit them within the existing four (order, chaos, destruction, death), they would fit destruction best. That said, there's no reason a unit couldn't fit multiple allegiances - for example, if birdmen were ORDER and ELEMENTAL, but fishmen were DESTRUCTION and ELEMENTAL, you could still field them both and have an ELEMENTAL allegiance. Maybe even one of each would work ­— ORDER birdmen, DESTRUCTION fishmen, CHAOS insect men, and DEATH whatever mortal fire troops would be, just for example.

10 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Now I'm wondering which faction a water-spirit army would be. Maybe destruction?

I'd love to see Order split out... and potentially bring in a Life type faction (who's more neutral alongside Death). Put the water dudes in with the Sylvaneth into Life.

Also, would love to see the Fireslayers move closer to a Destruction, with their quest for Un-gold.

Archived