Completely New Army Concepts

hobgoblinclub

7 hours ago, Turragor said:

OR you could have a death faction that is just ghost pirates, with ghost galleys that sail across the battlefield and disgorge their ghostly buccaneers.

Any kind of unit transport would be a neat idea tbh - like 40k. Not seen in Fantasy often.

Transport is a cool idea maybe a more developed corpse cart? As for pirates the Dark Aelves have a faction that is pirates and I am biased because I play them but I really really want a ship cannon for them. Also more models for them. Sadly that's not a new army :(. 

What I would really like to see now that we have 4 factions instead of many races is an army of buccaneers or sell swords that is made up of multiple races in the order faction.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AAL said:

Transport is a cool idea maybe a more developed corpse cart? As for pirates the Dark Aelves have a faction that is pirates and I am biased because I play them but I really really want a ship cannon for them. Also more models for them. Sadly that's not a new army :(. 

What I would really like to see now that we have 4 factions instead of many races is an army of buccaneers or sell swords that is made up of multiple races in the order faction.

A duardin transport would definitely work. A blimp would be made for it.

The danger with releasing a multi alliance faction is that you might see a disproportionate amount of them. It could be great for GW but dull for the game.

59 minutes ago, Shoe said:

Actual Chaos Elves! Not just dark elves, I mean Chaos God, Tentacle, Bloated, Winged, Perverted Elf meat!

Dark Elf Army book, 1996:

Elf_of_Khorne.jpg

Yes! But Slaanesh. If any chaos god was going to appeal to the aelfs, it's got to be Slaanesh. 

12 minutes ago, Baardah said:

Definately would love to see a LYCAN faction...for order. Not the ravaging lunatics, but a drudic society of shape shifters, arranged in packs. 

I'm shocked Werewolves aren't more of a thing in this game. 

22 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Yes! But Slaanesh. If any chaos god was going to appeal to the aelfs, it's got to be Slaanesh. 

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, HOBGOBLINCLUB, WE NEED ALL THE GODS ON BOARD, EVEN THE RAT

RAT AELVES

PLAGUE ARROW AELVES

BLOOD AELVES

BIRD AELVES

AELF AELVES

21 minutes ago, Shoe said:

I'm shocked Werewolves aren't more of a thing in this game. 

I think that these types fit naturally into a reimagining of death or elves.

That reimagining - I call it 'the potential litigation generator' - will involve moving vowels or adding consonants to their name. So Wayrwulfen. Or Wearwoofs.

It's so funny that when I write down the basic business premise like that it's so reductive, it reduces the frankly amazing work GW have done with the reboot so far.

And it's the models and interaction. Mainly the models.

I know that any Wearwoofers are going to look amazing and take all my grey plastic girded resistance to avoid buying.

/Edit Weirdwaffles!

An army of glass golems, 3+ save as standard but all rend against them is doubled.

Or just golems — the whole army gets something equivalent to the "Sacred War Statue" rule from TK Sphinxes.

Mind-control tentacle monster things, that can take control of your opponent's units?

Maybe an army of small, brightly coloured, sapient horses (sorry).

13 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Mind-control tentacle monster things, that can take control of your opponent's units?

This idea, properly delivered, strikes me as two things:

1. Perfect counter to some of the cheesiest lists/units

2. The antithesis of a model based wargame (like you use other units, without buying them! What if they're painted fugly?)

But I love it as a concept. It's so cool.

1 hour ago, Baardah said:

Definately would love to see a LYCAN faction...for order. Not the ravaging lunatics, but a drudic society of shape shifters, arranged in packs. 

These guys could go anywhere! Order werewolves, howling at the moon Death werewolves, crazy, rabid Destruction werewolves, or tainted, red-eyed Chaos werewolves. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Wrathmongers are pretty close to this! 

That said, I'm surprised there are no Mesmers/Crowd Control abilities in the game. Something that would allow them to attack immediately if they took damage. 

I think that a more grey area chaos faction could be interesting. Perhaps a civilization that was partially affected by chaos corruption but avoided being fully taken under Dark Gods' control. In terms of gameplay I would envision them as less offensive than most chaos factions but less defensive than chaos dwarfs. Visually I think of something similar to Tieflings of D&D.

46 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

There is always a chance that they will have another crack at the fimrach's since forge world have released a few.

FW have said that they'll continue producing new Fimir models all the time people keep buying them!  We've the hag model being sculpted and a sorcerer currently.  The focus is on creating some amazing models rather than a battletome - but as before if there is enough support and purchases, they may end up making a fully-fledged list for them.

50 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

An expansion to the dragon orgres would make for a fun army.

Would love this - new Shaggoth model and some other models would be brilliant!

36 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

FW have said that they'll continue producing new Fimir models all the time people keep buying them!  We've the hag model being sculpted and a sorcerer currently.  The focus is on creating some amazing models rather than a battletome - but as before if there is enough support and purchases, they may end up making a fully-fledged list for them.

Would love this - new Shaggoth model and some other models would be brilliant!

Well its a fairly unique race that GW made.

It would fit in the current quality over quanitiy that most of the new armies seem to follow.

And you could put many variations on the dragon orgres if you introduce them as a full fledged race:

Dragon ogres "Warriors" (The normal dragon ogres)

Dragon ogre "Hunters" (Some sort of ranged option perhaps boulder throwers or axe throwers)

Some sort of swarm unit in the form of a creature that hang around them (some little lightning loving lizards (Say that 10 times really fast!))

Dragon ogre Lord of Storms (Shaman)

Dragon orgre Thunder bearer (Totem that attracts lightning bolts to spread around and buff the army)

Shaggoth (Leader)

Some character option for the shaggoth (Kholek)

See easy! pay attention GW!

1 hour ago, KHHaunts said:

It would fit in the current quality over quanitiy that most of the new armies seem to follow.

And you could put many variations on the dragon orgres if you introduce them as a full fledged race:

Dragon ogres "Warriors" (The normal dragon ogres)

Dragon ogre "Hunters" (Some sort of ranged option perhaps boulder throwers or axe throwers)

Some sort of swarm unit in the form of a creature that hang around them (some little lightning loving lizards (Say that 10 times really fast!))

Dragon ogre Lord of Storms (Shaman)

Dragon orgre Thunder bearer (Totem that attracts lightning bolts to spread around and buff the army)

Shaggoth (Leader)

Some character option for the shaggoth (Kholek)

See easy! pay attention GW!

I thought about a Thunderscorn list a while ago. I wouldn't mind playing them as they, with only two choices, but the cost is prohibitive for something that might not have much replay value. It'd be ace with a few new choices. 

1 hour ago, KHHaunts said:

The Fimir are based on the Formor from Irish folk-tales, which is where some the macabre elements come from (cloaks of flayed flesh) :)  That's not knocking the sculpts, I actually find the models FW does that have got some kind of background are normally some of the best out there.

Love the idea of a Dragon Ogre Shaman!

1 minute ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I thought about a Thunderscorn list a while ago. I wouldn't mind playing them as they, with only two choices, but the cost is prohibitive for something that might not have much replay value. It'd be ace with a few new choices. 

Almost tempting to create a home grown Thunderscorn battletome...  (but I have far too many projects on the go)

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

The Fimir are based on the Formor from Irish folk-tales, which is where some the macabre elements come from (cloaks of flayed flesh) :)  That's not knocking the sculpts, I actually find the models FW does that have got some kind of background are normally some of the best out there.

Love the idea of a Dragon Ogre Shaman!

Almost tempting to create a home grown Thunderscorn battletome...  (but I have far too many projects on the go)

I was actually refering to the dragon ogres.

However it is extremly difficult to come up with a truelly original army design.

Even the stormcasts have taken inspiration from elsewhere.

And im sure even if you took one of the really random idea by people. such as Bird people.

Whatever aesthetic is used will have routes elsewhere. It just cant be helped.

On the subject of Fimir and creating races for wargames have a read of this 

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/04/07/bizarre-bestiary-fimir/

it's an excellent article and rather illuminating 

Id expect any new factions to be really quite different from what we've seen before or based solely on GW stuff.  They do seem to be trying to make AoS more unique than the more general Warhammer World. 

Really most "completely new, out-off-the-blue faction" scenarios don't particularly thrill me.

There are plenty of iconic, unique to Warhammer units, creatures and sub-faction deserving of getting overhauled and reintroduced into AoS. Basically, I prefer the treatment Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth and Ironjaws got. All those where, in a way, very much new, but still based on an already existing element.

That said, if one element to get that treatment where to be the "Necromantic Construct" part of the old Tomb Kings (not a reintroduction of the models, but new minis based on the concept and design), I'd be a very happy camper indeed.

42 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

There are plenty of iconic, unique to Warhammer units, creatures and sub-faction deserving of getting overhauled and reintroduced into AoS. Basically, I prefer the treatment Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth and Ironjaws got. All those where, in a way, very much new, but still based on an already existing element.

I'm completely on board with this. I like the way GW has AOS-ified these factions and their models. Can't wait to see the aelf faction, if the silver tower aelves are anything to measure their new model line by.

3 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

On the subject of Fimir and creating races for wargames have a read of this 

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/04/07/bizarre-bestiary-fimir/

it's an excellent article and rather illuminating 

Id expect any new factions to be really quite different from what we've seen before or based solely on GW stuff.  They do seem to be trying to make AoS more unique than the more general Warhammer World. 

Nice article! I love old GW history stuff. There seems to be scant little of it around. It seems nobody who worked at GW or Citadel in the early days took any photos either. 

Archived