Silver tower or bloodbowl - help me decide!

Carnelian

The most important decision I have made in 2016  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which box should i get for christmas?

So i am limiting myself to a single boxed game over Christmas as I am still working my way through a painting backlog and I get a bit de-motivated when that builds up (this year finished death and stormcast 1k and hoping to finish Tyranids by end of year but still have wood elves and deathwatch overkill to paint up!)

I cant choose between Silver Tower and Bloodbowl so it would be great to hear from people who have played both.

My questions:

1. are people still playing silver tower? I.e. does it have longevity? (as i know that bloodbowl has longevity)

How long does a bloodbowl game last on average and is it good fun to play against people who dont normally play warhammer and who have no interest in list building? (or is list building integral to enjoying it long term?)

Pros for silver tower:

Most beautiful models

Models useable in AoS and vice versa

Easy for non hobbyists to join a single game

Pros for bloodbowl:

Can play it on Christmas afternoon with my brother or girlfriend with minimal amount of fuss - easy to build and coloured plastics

Smaller number of figures to build and paint and so can avoid backlog

2 player game is easier to organise

I voted blood bowl for you, mainly because of how few miniatures you get in comparison to Silver Tower (which is basically like starting another army), and also because the rumour mill has hinted at a second Warhammer Quest against Death adversaries in the future and when/if that comes out, you'll be kicking yourself if you are still painting up Tzeentch figures.

If you want to get a feel for Blood Bowl, the iPad App is great. I've been playing it all week in anticipation for the release.

Definitely Blood Bowl.

Silver Tower is fun, it has replay value and beautiful minis. You'll no doubt go back to it every so often. 

Blood Bowl on the other hand is the sort of thing that could easily become a regular alternative AoSing. If a few of you start a league it can be massively addictive. I'd go as far as to say it's the tightest rule set GW have ever produced. It's not the most balanced, but it's a beautiful thing in terms of mechanics.

I suppose Silver Tower has the fact that you can use the minis in AoS in its favour, but you could be playing Blood Bowl for years to come.  

7 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

If you want it as a boxed game primarily then probably Blood Bowl.

I'd argue the opposite.

Silver Tower works as a stand alone game. I'd imagine there'll be loads of people who don't add to it. 

Most Blood Bowl players will no doubt go beyond the box and play other people with other teams.

Blood Bowl, Blood Bowl, Blood Bowl!!!!!

Silver Tower is fun but Blood Bowl is Blood Bowl! It's got a big following so it's easy to get games in against other coaches plus I'm basically playing Blood Bowl all this week as off to Bugmans Full Beard so difficult for me to think about something else

PS - Blood Bowl!!!!

b462aed55dadb97fe75d02e03d28729a.jpg
It's simultaneously the most serious and the most silly game GW do.
You can really cut loose with background and imagery, silly jokes etc. - but when you're in last turn and 1-0 down, pulling off that chain of 4+ rolls to pull the draw is one of the best feelings in the world. Right up there with a 3-pint pee. [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been playing through Silver Tower with some friends who have little to no interest in the hobby and they have gotten really into it, so much so that it's now then suggesting we play again. We've had four sessions so far, lasting 2-3 hours each time and we're only half way through, perhaps less. So there is definitely longevity. Especially with the new hero cards. That said though, and despite the fact that all the random events mean you'll probably never play the same game twice, I imagine you might not go through the whole process more then a couple of times. 

Playing in a Blood Bowl league in the Birmingham store when I was younger, on the other hand, is probably some of my fondest hobbyist memories. You'll definitely come back to Blood Bowl a lot more, especially if you can convince your non hobby friends to join. 

Only proviso on Bloodbowl is that if you're playing a proper league, keeping people invested can be a chore - the teams that are flying high play game after game after game, but it just takes one match where your team gets mangled and coaches start to drop out.
Silver Tower definitely has replay value, but longer term... well, Bloodbowl has been my favourite game for 30 years, even if I don't play for long periods.

2 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Only proviso on Bloodbowl is that if you're playing a proper league, keeping people invested can be a chore - the teams that are flying high play game after game after game, but it just takes one match where your team gets mangled and coaches start to drop out.
Silver Tower definitely has replay value, but longer term... well, Bloodbowl has been my favourite game for 30 years, even if I don't play for long periods.

We've found this. It's an effort to get everyone's results in (I'm as bad as the rest). 

I'd hoped the app might cater for this. They should have included a function for players to enter results, injuries etc into a shared league table. Sadly, there's nothing like that on there. 

So theres 51 models to paint in sikver tower compared to 24 for bloodbowl but i'd probably get the skaven straight away and that brings it up to 36. There is a lot of v small silver tower models (familiars and grot scutlings) but then again a lot of large ones or models that require decent paint jobs whereas I can get away with much less for bloodbowl.

I had a look at bloodbowl yesterday in darksphere and I was surprised by how large the models are! They look quite easy to paint.

I think it is going to be both eventually - bb for xmas, paint deathwatch overkill and then silver tower. now i just need to decide on a paint scheme for my genestealer cult!

Archived