Dragon10

VLOD 

10 X dragon knights

5 X dragon knights

5 X dragon Knights 

3 X Varghiests 

3 X Varghiests 

3 X Varghiests

thinking of building this army as I already have the blood Knights.

Is the list to in your face on dimensional or could still be fun to play with?

If you go with above I'd have the vargiests as one unit of 9. Personal preference is Bloodknights in 5's as you get more value out of the regen and it's sometimes hard to get all 10 into combat.

If you change it slighty I'd have another Hero in there,drop either 3 vargiests for a Lord or drop 5 knights for a VLoAT.

Name of the game is to kill stuff and Soulblight kill stuff better than most....whats not fun about that? :)

16 minutes ago, Razorfate said:

I 'd go with fell bats and bat swarms instead of vargheists and bring one more vl to act as spellcaster and hero support. Then i'd set aside minimum 160 pts for summoning dire wolves and wraiths for chaff and/or obj scoring

I always run 2 units of Fell Bats or Swarms enemy depending.Not a fan of summoning tho.

Untill I get or convert a VLoAT my current list(successful too) is:

VLoZD

Covern Throne

3x5 Bloodknights

1x6 Vargiests

2x2 Bat Swarms/2x3 Fell Bats

5 hours ago, discoking said:

I always run 2 units of Fell Bats or Swarms enemy depending.Not a fan of summoning tho.

Untill I get or convert a VLoAT my current list(successful too) is:

VLoZD

Covern Throne

3x5 Bloodknights

1x6 Vargiests

2x2 Bat Swarms/2x3 Fell Bats

How do you find the Covern throne, is it worth the 260 points? What role does it play in your games? Just a support hero? The spell is interesting, could be quite annoying for your opponent...

Same for the bat swarms. Are they just a fluffier chaff than skeleton warriors for the same point cost?

I would love to see Soulblight expanded. Considering them as my next army, with the list mentioned above of the 2 x VLoZD, 15 blood knights and 6 vargheists (this list simply because you can make most of it out of FEC start collecting boxes)... No idea how that will play, but surely it's got to be fun!

Covern Throne is the weak link as it can't self heal and isn't very killy unless it's buffed but Beguile is an awesome spell if used wisely. That said if I get hold of/convert a VLoAT I'll drop the Throne and take an extra Bat swarm I think.

My army is all about speed and skeletons are just too slow to act as chaff. Bat Swarms are plenty fast and really shine when shutting down enemy shooting.

Covern Throne is the weak link as it can't self heal and isn't very killy unless it's buffed but Beguile is an awesome spell if used wisely. That said if I get hold of/convert a VLoAT I'll drop the Throne and take an extra Bat swarm I think.
My army is all about speed and skeletons are just too slow to act as chaff. Bat Swarms are plenty fast and really shine when shutting down enemy shooting.

How long do the bats seem to live? With no save I would have thought they would get killed off even by shooting units in melee. I haven't played no save units before though so I'm probably underestimating them

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fell bats have an insane range. First turn i move them in front of the knights as chaff and bait. If my opponent charges and vanquishes them , then i counter charge with my knights fully buffed. But most often my opponents stay at defensive positon, so i charge their unit usually more numerous than mine with bats and knights at the same time. With bats high speed i charge them at the rear or the flanks of the enemy, and my knights at the flank or the front of the same enemy unit. This way the enemy models closest to the bats must pile in and attack them relieving the knights half of the pressure.

With this startegy fell bats are very handy. Sometimes one or two survive with our 5++ ward save and they got 6 attacks each with their special rule and then go warmachine crew hunting and be a pain in the a** for my opponent:)

Fell bats have an insane range. First turn i move them in front of the knights as chaff and bait. If my opponent charges and vanquishes them , then i counter charge with my knights fully buffed. But most often my opponents stay at defensive positon, so i charge their unit usually more numerous than mine with bats and knights at the same time. With bats high speed i charge them at the rear or the flanks of the enemy, and my knights at the flank or the front of the same enemy unit. This way the enemy models closest to the bats must pile in and attack them relieving the knights half of the pressure.
With this startegy fell bats are very handy. Sometimes one or two survive with our 5++ ward save and they got 6 attacks each with their special rule and then go warmachine crew hunting and be a pain in the a** for my opponent:)

Thats awesome razorfate. Can I pm you to talk death some time?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have been playing 1000 points with

2x5 Blood Knights

1x3 Vargheist

x1 Mounted Vampire Lord

1x2 Bat Swarm 

and the last 100 points to summon in skeletons or dire wolves or something to hold objectives.

I have been wanting to / working on upgrading it to a 2000 pt army my plan was

3x5 Blood Knights

1x3 Vargheist 

VLoZD

Mounted Vampire Lord

1x2 Bat Swarm 

and 400 points to summon a mounrgul by giving the general the sword of Unholy Power the Mourngul can be summoned automatically rather than risking the roll of a 10 and wasting a spell

Just need the Mourngul but I think this could be fun. I've had lots of success at 1000pts

I rate vargesits a rather poor choice compared to the blood knights beacuse:

-Blood knights deal more damage per point when they charge. (13,99 wounds with -1 rend + 2,5 wounds for 0 rend for 260 pts for BK and 16,88 wounds with -1 rend for 320 pts)

-Blood Knights have wound healing mechanism with banner and hunger ability while Vargheists have none

-Blood Knights have 4+ save which becomes 3+ against non rending attacks, while varghesists have only 5+

-The only real advantage of vargheists are their flying ability and 12" range move which will cause them to be unsupported away from the general ( which always have ruler of the night trait in my armies) and will be butchered if used in this way. Fell bats are better for their points if used as hunting archers or warmachine crew in this type of using.

-Another advantage of the vargheists are their damage output dest not depend on the charge. But in my experience they do not usually live long enough to gain advantage from it. On the other hand Blood knights really need concentrated attacks to be dispatched off.

-The main disadvantage of the blood knights their damage output really lower when they are charged or can not brake the enemy at the first charge. So two units of blood knights chargeing one after another is a good idea.

The soulblight army's main advantage is its elite and fast moving units which must operate at the flanks of the enemy for decreasing the back attacks from the units they could not break. In this regard, i think it is far too important to choose which one will go first or second in the first round of combat so that we can always have the initiative to strike first where we need. To achieve this we must have few units compared to our opponent. 11 units is far too much for this strategy. I'd go with 7 or 8 units at the max.

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon is the army's backbone when taken with the Ring and RotN trait. It has an insane movement, d6 wound healing capacity once per battle and raise with d3 wounds when killed to grab objective or charge our opponent's critical hero or unit in anywhere on the table. My opponents usually do not bother to kill the VLoZD when they hear about the ring and the chalice so he can be at the middle of the action supporting all other troops with his quite good command trait and 5++ ward save with quite a good number of attacks. I think it has a place on every soulblight army above 1500 pts.

Vampire Lord has a quite good spell debuffing the opponent's elite units but 2 is very unnecessary. I'd change one of them into a VLoZD by also dropping another unit of BK or Vargheists .

1 X VLOD

1 X VL on steed

5 X blood knights

5 X blood knights

5 X blood Knights 

6 X Varghiests 

2 X fell bats

2 X fell bats

2 X bat swarms

2 X bat swarms 

i would like to keep the Varghiests just to have something else in army rather than just blood Knights even if weaker choice

thank you for your in depth comment much appreciated 

2 hours ago, Dragon10 said:

1 X VLOD

1 X VL on steed

5 X blood knights

5 X blood knights

5 X blood Knights 

6 X Varghiests 

2 X fell bats

2 X fell bats

2 X bat swarms

2 X bat swarms 

i would like to keep the Varghiests just to have something else in army rather than just blood Knights even if weaker choice

thank you for your in depth comment much appreciated 

I really love the models, and they could be in the army by the rule of cool:)

Quick question from a potential Soulblight-er;

Some of you have mentioned summoning. I'm confused as to 'who' in the soulblight list can summon zombies etc. The Vampires etc don't seem to have summoning on their warscrolls? Unless I have missed something?

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers

H

Archived