Blood and Glory Dilemma....

L.Bromley

Hey guys so with Blood and glory only a week away I find myself in a bit of a dilemma, with a painting table still full of models to paint, an army list still to submit ( anyone know the deadline?), 60 hours of real life work to do ( catering is never gonna be 9 till 5), an a small family to look after the realisation has finally hit home that I have only ever played one 500point game of AOS!!!

My question to you all is this, thursday is my only "free" day, should I arrange a 2000 point game to try an get a base knowledge of the rules for larger games? Or spend the day touching up the army an signing up for the 500 point tournament on the Friday and then just going balls deep on the Saturday????.

I think you should grudge Russ Veal to improve your chances.

More seriously - focus on the painting - the worst preparation for an event is to be painting at 3:00 am the morning of a tournament.  Paint while watching the Warlords live stream recording to absorb strategy by osmosis. 

Be lucky.

Perhaps spend your time painting the models and learning all the rules. Not sure how much value 1 game will give you, while still having the pressure to paint. 

While painting you can plat the 18hrs of The Warlords tournament on YouTube as well as listen to the great AoS podcasts. 

That's my thoughts on maximising your time. 

17 minutes ago, Nico said:

I think you should grudge Russ Veal to improve your chances.

More seriously - focus on the painting - the worst preparation for an event is to be painting at 3:00 am the morning of a tournament.  Paint while watching the Warlords live stream recording to absorb strategy by osmosis. 

Be lucky.

This is sound advice. 

Although a 2000 point practice game will work wonders and will help you give your opponent a good first game because you're not head deep in to the rule book every five minutes. 

I'll just agree with what everybody has said. Spend the time painting so you don't feel rushed. Put on some games in the background (Warlords stream from WarhammerTV on Youtube) and finish what you need to get done. 

As long as you understand the basics, you will be fine playing and if you let your opponent know before hand they will be fine as well.

If you want some slightly clearer gameplay to keep in the background YT batreps are probably as good as you can get. There are some posters here who do some form of them as well but these are generally watchable (link to playlist, newer more relevant stuff at the end).

Echoing everyone paint on the Thursday and then do the 500pt game on the evening and then the tournament on the sat and Sunday. You'll pick up the basics on the 500pt game and with 6 2K games you'll be learning every game. 

If you find you can't finish your army give me a shout I'll bring one my other armies for you to borrow mate. 

Thanks for the advise guys, set myself some real achievable goals by Friday morning, definitely want to attend the event pumped up rather than stressed out an painting in a hotel room till god knows what hour. Re-wrote my list ( probably my tenth attempt ) and submitted it, now the pressure is a little more controlled. As for grudging Russ Veal, it least we could have lots of time to discuss what I did wrong as I take my army off in turn two.

Another tip is not to go into a game with the "I've already lost because X is going to kerbstomp my army"  mentality as tempting as it may be. Your list might happen to be a hard counter to the Big Name's list, or you might get lucky, or you might outplay them on the particular Battleplan on the particular day (even if you wouldn't on average due to their greater experience).

Archived