Are Army Battle standards still used a lot?

enTHRALLed

The wight king with infernal standard males a big block of skeletons more survivable. Wight king as general with ruler of the night, skeletons suffer wounds get a 6+ save (5+ against no rend), then a 6+ save from the infernal standard then a 5+ save from ruler of the night. 

He works well for one wound models, not great for multi wound models.

Basically the baleful tomb blade king is a defensive hero, black axe is more offensive.

Since we're talking battle standards, if Ironjawz ever fget a Waaagh type banner what would you guys like to see for buffs / abilities?

Also the skelley saves are crazy! I'm still chipping away at my Deathrattle project here and there 

Sooooo many skelleys....

Are we talking about the former Battle Standard Bearer or a Unit Standard Bearer?

There is no more BSB and in the Free Guild, the role seems to have been incorporated into the Free Guild General. 

I imagine each unit has a Standard Bear and has rules that are unique to the unit. There is no cost associated to standards or musicians... so you could take a whole unit of them if you wanted.

2 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

The dwarf thane with bsb is also really good as it has an anti battleshock bubble. Also reduces casting from enemy wizards in range by 2.

The issue with abilities like that one is that it only affects a small number of enemy units, in this case wizards. A savvy enemy will be able to keep his casters out of range. You run the risk of paying for a tool you don't use. I much prefer abilities that hamper all units, like -1 to hit. 

48 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

The issue with abilities like that one is that it only affects a small number of enemy units, in this case wizards. A savvy enemy will be able to keep his casters out of range. You run the risk of paying for a tool you don't use. I much prefer abilities that hamper all units, like -1 to hit. 

I always thought that the debuff to magic was a bonus ability. I always take my bsb for not having my army run from battleshock. Surprising works well with a block of 40 longbeards.

2 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

I always thought that the debuff to magic was a bonus ability. I always take my bsb for not having my army run from battleshock. Surprising works well with a block of 40 longbeards.

It's definitely a great ability, and the range is huge! It's just not quite as impressive with duardin, who don't tend to run away much anyway, as it is with the other races who left theirs in the compendiums.

If fyreslayers are anything to go by, Steamhead should have their fair share of supporting characters to choose from anyway. 

On 20/11/2016 at 2:51 PM, Broken Netcode said:

The dwarf thane with bsb is also really good as it has an anti battleshock bubble. Also reduces casting from enemy wizards in range by 2.

I've personally found the dwarf thane bsb rubbish and a waste of 80 points and a leader slot. A solid Dispossessed army practically ignores battleshock via a myriad stacking special rules anyway (longbeards grumbling, Bugman increasing nearby units' bravery, unit standards halving it, both big formations ignoring rolls of 1-3, the order allegiance trait allowing you to reroll battleshock tests). As for the casting modifier standing still doesn't do much for me when I'm already running what's probably the slowest force in the game - I'd much rather take a Runelord who be proactive in his ****** over of enemy spellcasters, keep up with the rest of my guys and has access to one of (imo) the best buffs in the game.

Archived