Painting wanderers question

Trav

Hi all just looking for some expert advice. 

Planning on painting wanderers using a traditional green and brown beige colour scheme. Would black undercoat be ok or would brown undercoat be way better. Brown gw spray aint that cheap but dont mind paying if it is going to make a massive difference. 

Cheers!

Army painter Matt varnish is awful. The colour paints are good. They prime well and the matt finish holds washes and glazes a little on top as well as in the crevices which makes painting very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally, the brighter you prime, the brighter colors look. For instance I used a lot of Rhinox hide on my wanderers. With a black undercoat, that brown is a very dark brown, but on a white undercoat it is a reddish warm brown.... personally I like white primer best as it is easier to highlight. That is because if you thin the paint a bit the white will shine through on raised areas, And that is where you put the next layer/highlight. 

Then again, black is more forgiving as you can leave son of the deepest areas in painted and it won't really show. 

So I use white for bright color schemes and for characters/ centerpieces and black for the grunts...

i imagine a brown undercoat for your chosen color scheme would be great, but have never tried it myself. 

I am the complete reverse; I have only used the Army Painter matt black and matt white primer but I find them to give a nicer, smoother finish over GW. Although it has been quite a while since I used GW because the Army Painter works and is cheaper. Same for the matt varnish spray. (Am not advocating Army Painter particularly, use whatever works for you)

Archived