Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Painted by G

Measuring from Balewind Vortex

Question

Now that the Balewind is pointed and not frowned upon so much I was thinking of taking it my Destruction list to Blood & Glory.

The list I've been playing is based around getting Foot of Gork off, I'd love to come back with some great stories of it stomping things to death.

So far I've been running 2 shamans surrounded by boyz (+2 to cast), but it's just not working. At first I had 2 attempts to get it off per turn, but no longer.

I haven't managed to get it to go off for the last 5 games!

So I was thinking of dropping the 2nd Shaman and paying for the Balewind. +2 from the boyz and +1 from the Balewind should improve my chances. Would now cast on 7+.

However, my boyz can't be within 3" of the Balewind so I'm gonna struggle to get them in, they have to be within 10" of the Shaman when he casts.

Would I measure this? From the base of the Balewind (that's not too bad) or from the Shaman model himself? if so, diagonally? Along and up? (that would make it not worth using for this plan).

This also raises the question, when casting a spell from on top of the Balewind, would you measure from the shaman model of the base of the Balewind? Less worried about this, but I guess the same answer should apply to both yes?

I'm mainly interested in running this for Blood & Glory so I guess if it's not clear, it's however Ben thinks it should be..

Ta!

9 answers to this question

Wizard is not garrisoned, he's on top of a terrain feature. So all ranges measured from him as normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah - BaldoBeardo is right - people have suggested treating it as a Garrisoned building, but that hasn't been implemented - measure diagonally from the base of the model on the top of the Balewind.

Are your guys even within range of him for the +1 to cast? unless he's right on the edge i don't think that reaches. 

4 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Are your guys even within range of him for the +1 to cast? unless he's right on the edge i don't think that reaches. 

I agree.  The vortex does not help really short range spells as much since you have to measure diagonally and the units have to be 3" away from the base of the vortex.

OK thanks chaps! That makes sense but yeah it does mean my plan isn't viable,  so back to 2 shamans I guess! 

I'll get it off eventually this I vow! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Painted by G said:

OK thanks chaps! That makes sense but yeah it does mean my plan isn't viable,  so back to 2 shamans I guess! 

I'll get it off eventually this I vow! 

It'll be against me on the bottom table no doubt. 

On 11/16/2016 at 11:24 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

It'll be against me on the bottom table no doubt. 

Hope so! Mwahahahaha!

• Like 1