Rampant Duardin Speculation Thread

hobgoblinclub

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

Wasnt WoW based on warhammer since games workshop and blizzard were meant to team up to make a mmorpg?

Blizzard was meant to make a Warhammer game, but didn't get the license. That game instead became Warcraft.

I think my favorite models ever are Squats in Exo-Armour, I have 2 just because I love them. I'm probably going to be forced to use this army in 40K and AoS, and by forced I mean I won't want to play anything else.

My Hopes: 

Blimps. Ever since I read about Snorri Nosebiter driving one I've wanted it.

Armor Suits

A War Golem

Lots of flying, whether it be Jet Packs or the Copters.

Flyers would be neat. The mechanics for flying creatures are pretty simple and balanced in AoS, so I think that an all-flying (or nearly all-flying) army would be okay. If they want to pidgeon-hole it, they could pull something similar to the way they structured the Flesh Eaters; you can get flayers as battleline, but only if you take a crypt infernal courtier as your general (and he lacks a command ability - cool or otherwise - so you have to make sacrifices for your flying circus).

Personally, I'd like to see a force that somehow combined the slow-and-steady feel of the stunties with their amazing flying technology. What if the dwarves have to give something up in order to use their flying movement rate - like, for example, units with a slow "normal" speed that can make huge "jumps" across the battlefield, but at the cost of not being able to attack in the subsequent shooting/combat phases. Then, you've got an army that has to make some interesting and difficult tactical choices, rather than simply being able to zip all across the battlefield and be wherever they want.

I am also in favor of giant dwarf-made warbots or mecha suits. Let's have a Steamhead-vs-Chaos game and play the Pacific Rim soundtrack!

8 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Personally, I'd like to see a force that somehow combined the slow-and-steady feel of the stunties with their amazing flying technology. What if the dwarves have to give something up in order to use their flying movement rate - like, for example, units with a slow "normal" speed that can make huge "jumps" across the battlefield, but at the cost of not being able to attack in the subsequent shooting/combat phases.

Cool idea, and works in a fluffy/logical sense. In game terms though, wouldn't you just be jumping into danger and then not be able to attack?  It'd be useful in grabbing the occasional objective but too situational I feel.  You might end up paying points for a super big leap which is a struggle to use.

44 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Cool idea, and works in a fluffy/logical sense. In game terms though, wouldn't you just be jumping into danger and then not be able to attack?  It'd be useful in grabbing the occasional objective but too situational I feel.  You might end up paying points for a super big leap which is a struggle to use.

That's a really good point. What if instead the unit couldn't charge? And then either the basic unit or the elite version could have some kind of counter-punch rule, like anyone who charges it takes mortal wounds? Maybe that just happens the turn after it lands because their jets are still hot and the surrounding ground has been turned into magma?

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

That's a really good point. What if instead the unit couldn't charge? And then either the basic unit or the elite version could have some kind of counter-punch rule, like anyone who charges it takes mortal wounds? Maybe that just happens the turn after it lands because their jets are still hot and the surrounding ground has been turned into magma?

What about is they can use their jump packs to pull of a crazy long charge once a game. It'd be as if they blast themselves like projectiles but there's only enough steam for a single go. Almost like cannonball suits. They do the impact hits as they crash into the enemy. 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:18 PM, Jimbo said:

TBH, I'm happy with whatever they release as long as I never hear 'Ten from the back...' ever again. 

I went the other way, all too often my opponents would try to avoid saying it.  I'd refuse to acknowledge what they were doing until they said those magic words.  Then it had to be said loudly with pride, if you don't own it you certainly don't get to shout 'take it off' when you kill something.  Of course as a former dwarf player myself I understood the unbridled joy of shooting people off the table.

Dunno if steampunk dwarfs really do it for me, I never bought any of the last release of dwarfs because I already had tonnes of longbeards, ironbreakers & hammerers but the models were much nicer than the previous couple of versions of dwarfs so if they took that style and dialled up the tech it might actually make me buy them.  If it's just the same old units released again then I won't touch it.

36 minutes ago, Dave Fraser said:

Dunno if steampunk dwarfs really do it for me, I never bought any of the last release of dwarfs because I already had tonnes of longbeards, ironbreakers & hammerers but the models were much nicer than the previous couple of versions of dwarfs so if they took that style and dialled up the tech it might actually make me buy them.  If it's just the same old units released again then I won't touch it.

I think it's time they moved away from all of the old unit concepts (warriors, longbeards, thunderers etc.). They've released the same stuff in various forms for the past three decades. We now need something compelety different and AoSified. Jump packs as battleline and not a cannon in sight! 

24 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I think it's time they moved away from all of the old unit concepts (warriors, longbeards, thunderers etc.). They've released the same stuff in various forms for the past three decades. We now need something compelety different and AoSified. Jump packs as battleline and not a cannon in sight! 

But what am I gonna do with my 5 cannons :(

39 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

I got just as many. I spent the years immediately before AoS came out collecting all of the old metal warmachines through the ages. I doubt we'll ever see many of them again. Why would they bring an old school grudge thrower if they can make themselves fly? 

9 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

Chances are pretty good that since they have the Duardin keyword (they do, don't they?) they will still be useful in a Steamhead list. You might have to give up the Steamhead allegiance abilities and take the generic Order abilities instead - but there's no guarantee that the Steamhead allegiance stuff will mean anything, or if it does, if it'll be necessary (like the Sylvaneth one kind of is) or just the cherry on top of an army that works without them.

Archived