Fluffy McFluff-Face

DeathabillyPete

Now I always try to give my armies a narrative backdrop because a) I'm Nerdy like that and b) see a. But with Chaos (in the age of sigmar) I'm a bit lost as to the status quo of the everyday slave to Darkness. Now, we know the Khorne types run about all psyched up and angry but what about the others? What is the society? Are they all nomadic? Do any of them live in settlements in between warring, discussing the winners of the Hex Factor while sharpening their teeth?

What are your thoughts? can we really set back story to such 2 dimensional characters? 

I await your thoughts!

I get the impression that after centuries of rule, most of Chaos's forces have degenerated into god-ridden whackjobs. There isn't a lot of culture left anymore, just fanatical worship and more excuses to kill things. Like Korghas Khul (spelling? I listened to the audiobook) noted, the return of Sigmar and his chosen might be the best thing to happen to Chaos in a long time.

8 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

I get the impression that after centuries of rule, most of Chaos's forces have degenerated into god-ridden whackjobs. There isn't a lot of culture left anymore, just fanatical worship and more excuses to kill things. Like Korghas Khul (spelling? I listened to the audiobook) noted, the return of Sigmar and his chosen might be the best thing to happen to Chaos in a long time.

That's a good point. My Fluff idea is an honourable Warrior society who, as the last bastions of order turn against Sigmar and, rather than fall to chaos, more make an oath to fight with Sigmars enemies but over time lose who they are and start to become increasingly turned to the dark side without seeing it. My problem is do they stay in their city as a shell of themselves or do all chaos just grab what they got and run around shouting? Maybe future books will reveal their society more.

I think I need to read more of the books!! lol

17 hours ago, DeathabillyPete said:

What are your thoughts? can we really set back story to such 2 dimensional characters? 

I realised a couple of weeks ago my head is still stuck in the old world. I missed the end times and only the coming of age of Sigmar drew my attention back to wargaming. Since then the background of the old armies is still my backdrop. I love the backstory some armies had/have but as long as the armies don't have that I don't feel the drive to start a new army as I used to.

(only army im still really excited about starting is a slaaneshi chaos army but I reckon it's a fools hope to wait for extra backstory. )

6 hours ago, DeathabillyPete said:

most of Chaos's forces have degenerated into god-ridden whackjobs. There isn't a lot of culture left anymore,

I feel this is one of the reasons that more and more topics focus on tournament lists and less on the fluff and hobby part of AoS. Or do you guys think this is more influenced by the points added in the GH?

7 hours ago, DeathabillyPete said:

Maybe future books will reveal their society more.

I think I need to read more of the books!! lol

Haha I did the same but felt the need to start with end times: nagash to properly close the previous chapter in a way. 

8 minutes ago, DeathabillyPete said:

high fantasy

Yeah I'm not sure about the high fantasy angle still. I think what drew me to warhammer all those years ago was that the fantasy had some sort of comparing faction with Empire and Bretonnia. In comparison Dwarfs were small, ogres were big, chaos was evil and elfs were aloof. And i'm still looking for that in a world of crazy semi-mortals powerfilled by gods. But we'll see. 

16 minutes ago, DeathabillyPete said:

I like it now though but maybe I should start a non chaos army for my Fluff fix? 

I'm looking for a new army to start with since AoS grabbed my attention. But I keep wondering if it's worth the gamble to start something like Slaanesh because the fluff and/or models before a faction list is started. Even expanding my current armies feels a bit premature. 

So I would suggest start with something they already did but of course only If  you like that faction. Or don't but be aware of the risk models might suddenly be OOP or the backstory to your army might nog make any sense. 

Despite the new high fantasy wrapper, most normal people still live in a low fantasy reality. I think the juxtaposition challenges us to reimagine low fantasy in this context, beyond hard scrabble tribes struggling for survival. The myth and ancestral memory of earlier times could also suggest new and novel human societies. Imagine a Bretonnia subverted to other darker values. A human society where heroic sacrifice creates new social orders. A benevolent society dedicated to helping others. A society where restoration of ancient sites is their life's purpose. A society where ancient heroes are venerated and emulated. A stealth society of seemingly fanatical Sigmar believers who are actually spreading a new religion. A society that evolved to be resistant to fire, or ice, or pain, or fear. All of these and many more could exist in the Realms.

Archived