Grave Guard?

Dracothjay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Sylvaneth seem to rely on Wyldwoods for buffs rather than each other. Death have the advantage of having insane synergy all over the place. :)

Unless your allegiance lies with Soulblight in which case we're screwed in that department.Generals command ability and scenery is as good as it gets.

Not that we need such things mind ;)

50 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Soulblight is a mess. I really hope it gets a - if you'll pardon the pun - revamp soon, because I really dig dark high fantasy vampires as a faction... but it needs a lot of work. Resculpts, new units... the works.

Bat swarms and Fell Bats look a tad dated now  and Bloodknights are a pain to put together(still look fantastic to me tho) but as a playable faction I'd say we are anything but a mess,this however is a GG thread so I wont derail :)

21 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Soulblight is a mess. I really hope it gets a - if you'll pardon the pun - revamp soon, because I really dig dark high fantasy vampires as a faction... but it needs a lot of work. Resculpts, new units... the works.

You should take more credit for that pun, that is top level dad humour

I would love to field a nice block if these in my army, but they are quite pricy when taking a fat unit of them.

would you say 20 is too much? I know standard skeletons can get quite blends just from sheer volumes of attacks, but I feel I want my grave guard to do the killing and just have small skeleton units of 10 for objective grabbing.

is this viable with death rattle?

3 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I would love to field a nice block if these in my army, but they are quite pricy when taking a fat unit of them.

would you say 20 is too much? I know standard skeletons can get quite blends just from sheer volumes of attacks, but I feel I want my grave guard to do the killing and just have small skeleton units of 10 for objective grabbing.

is this viable with death rattle?

Considering their cost I think 15 are a more suitable number, at list in 1500-2000 points. But I don't lilke Grave guards too much as now

Not worth it at all imo.

Put it this way — they cost twice as much per model as Skeletons. So they would need to have about twice the model-to-model hitting power and survivability as skeletons to be worth it. They aren't even close.

Would you rather have 10 wounds with a 5+ save, or 5 wounds with a 4+?

5 Grave guard do hit harder than 10 skeletons, but no-one takes 10 skeletons for hitting power — they take blocks of 30-40. 20 Grave Guard simply do not hit as hard as 40 skeletons, despite costing the same.

They heal less — D3 wounds per turn instead of D6.

They aren't batteline (which is the main reason people take skeletons anyway).

They can benefit slightly more from some buffs, but not enough to match a unit of 40 skeletons for the same points cost.

They aren't as good for holding objectives.

They work slightly better against armoured opponents, but you need to be facing something like a 2+ save to make it worthwhile, and there are better death units for dealing with that kind of save.

Anything I've missed?

4 hours ago, Razorfate said:

As i think of it, if you have the means to buff the wound roll by including Settra and friends, then the shield option becomes more useful.

Mmm, but again it only matters if you're facing Rend 0 units with them, and really such units aren't a threat worth committing Grave Guard against. With Settra's +1 to wound buff on the GWB, they hit and wound on 2s, which is damn reliable.

3 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Mmm, but again it only matters if you're facing Rend 0 units with them, and really such units aren't a threat worth committing Grave Guard against. With Settra's +1 to wound buff on the GWB, they hit and wound on 2s, which is damn reliable.

If there are two sources for wound bonus (like settra and royal sphinx), the shield version is better imo as there is no 1+ to wound roll.

5 hours ago, Razorfate said:

If there are two sources for wound bonus (like settra and royal sphinx), the shield version is better imo as there is no 1+ to wound roll.

I disagree, if you have two sources of +1 to wound, like I usually do in my lists, you would be better off with GWB. That way you can get 2+ to wound from just being in the vicinity of Settra, and use your Royal Warsphinx to help out another unit.

Played against a player who ran 20 of them in a block with Wight King buff, etc, was very nasty and chewed up a couple of units until I put my own 10 Settra-buffed Grave Guard into the fight and flanked with Settra himself. Did enough kills to ravage the squad and make it effectively irrelevant after Battleshock.

Once they start taking casualties they can crumble quickly as they're only bringing D3 models back a turn and will be taking two Combat Phases for each regen. If you let them get to the point of taking Battleshock tests they will fall fast and hard.

Archived