Events UK: The Titans - Norwich 11th March 2017

Jamie Grinstead

5 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

Can I ask is the trial GHB pts in play or the actual GHB pts? Im playing Fyreslayers so makes a big difference to my list. Cheers

That is a good question! I can see the huge difference it makes to Fyreslayers and I did always feel they were overcosted, however we hadn't actually considered using them for our tournament. I will come back to you tomorrow about that as I want to discuss it with event staff before making a ruling. What do you all think of those point changes anyhow?

2 minutes ago, Jamie Grinstead said:

That is a good question! I can see the huge difference it makes to Fyreslayers and I did always feel they were overcosted, however we hadn't actually considered using them for our tournament. I will come back to you tomorrow about that as I want to discuss it with event staff before making a ruling. What do you all think of those point changes anyhow?

I have kinda been reserving judgement until I see how everything else has been affected. Fyreslayers were overcosted however I wouldn't want to be a collector now looking to pay for more models to hit the 2K points mark, as they seem to be quite an expensive range!

Tomb kings needed the changes too though im sure many would argue that fact. I am hoping Stonehorn/thundertusk get a points hike, even though I am using them myself I always feel an overwhelming sense of shame when I beat my friends with them haha

6 minutes ago, Jamie Grinstead said:

We play tested this last week and it does seem to be a significant boost to the slayers. 

Mark always beats me anyway so perhaps it wasn't the best example.

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0717.JPG

• Like 1

Obviously I'm biased but the general view of fyreslayers previously was the overcost of them, against anything 'tier 1' as it were they were often wiped out quick and easy. I played sylvaneth before this army and the stacks buffs movement shooting etc etc really did make fyreslayers second class in comparison. I think with movement especially being such a crucial element to AoS and the duardin being so poor at it...4" all round, giving them larger units now with the new points feels about right as far as I'm concerned. I'll tell you for definite how good vs ****** they feel once I've been to SCGT with them this year :-/ 

2 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

I have kinda been reserving judgement until I see how everything else has been affected. Fyreslayers were overcosted however I wouldn't want to be a collector now looking to pay for more models to hit the 2K points mark, as they seem to be quite an expensive range!

Tomb kings needed the changes too though im sure many would argue that fact. I am hoping Stonehorn/thundertusk get a points hike, even though I am using them myself I always feel an overwhelming sense of shame when I beat my friends with them haha

P.s I'm totally this guy you refer to who now had to go spend another £150 to make up my 2000pts shortfall. Ouch. 

• Like 1

You have all made some great points about this and we have been discussing it today as well. We have decided NOT to use the playtest points.

Whilst we are sure that Games Workshop has done testing on these new points costs before releasing them, we have not been able to test how balanced the new points costs are.

Also whilst I feel for the stumpies, we were also worried about people not seeing or checking an updated rules pack (even if sent to those who have tickets directly) and didn't want someone having a bad experience on the day because their army wasn't playable or if their army could have been better.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone hoping to bring the Fyreslayers.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2017 at 9:54 AM, Bedge said:

Are new SCE book points/scrolls/abilities in play for this event?

Pity about the Fyreslayerz ruling would be good to see some of them on the table

I am sure that Fyreslayers will get their time, especially if the points cost will give them a boost!

Yes, the new Stormcast Eternals book will be used in this tournament.

Are you asking for lists ahead of time or on the day? Thanks for clarifying on the Fyreslayers pts, on the positive side it means I have a little less to panic paint. Looking forward to this event and meeting you all.

On the day I believe fella when you check in. I'm super excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Are you asking for lists ahead of time or on the day? Thanks for clarifying on the Fyreslayers pts, on the positive side it means I have a little less to panic paint. Looking forward to this event and meeting you all.

Lists are going to be fine to hand in on the day. In future events, we may ask for them in advance however that will be once we work out how best to stream/record the games.

I have just updated the first post with some of the prizes! I will post below for clarity. As this is our first tournament for Age of Sigmar, I would welcome any feedback that you may have on them.

Prize Structure:
Participation: Acrylic Measuring Gauge

The following prizes also come with an associated trophy.
1st Place: £50 store credit.
2nd Place: £30 store credit.
3rd Place: £15 store credit.
Most Sporting: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Hero Bases.
The Wooden Spoon: Khorne/Stormcast Dice & Shaker.
Best Painted Army - Judge's Choice: £20 store credit.
Best Painted Army - Player's Choice: £20 store credit.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jamie Grinstead said:

I have just updated the first post with some of the prizes! I will post below for clarity. As this is our first tournament for Age of Sigmar, I would welcome any feedback that you may have on them.

Prize Structure:
Participation: Acrylic Measuring Gauge

The following prizes also come with an associated trophy.
1st Place: £50 store credit.
2nd Place: £30 store credit.
3rd Place: £15 store credit.
Most Sporting: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Hero Bases.
The Wooden Spoon: Khorne/Stormcast Dice & Shaker.
Best Painted Army - Judge's Choice: £20 store credit.
Best Painted Army - Player's Choice: £20 store credit.

As for feedback on the prizes, this really is far better than anticipated.  Its nice to see a range of awards also rather than just winning the tourney. Really knocking it out of the park so far. 

Also, I dont know what you have for your gaming tables, but if needed we can bring our tables neoprene battlemat if needed or you are short. 

5 hours ago, Forkhandles89 said:

Any tips from the pro tournament people about the day and general advice would be great. Thank you

I wouldn't exactly put myself in the "pro" category but I have been to a few events. 

Best tips I can think of would be:

• Be prepared as best as possible with print outs of your list and other stuff you need
  • Label your copies of your books/tape measures/other stuff in case they get mislaid
  • Cheat sheets to remind you to do things specific to your army can be helpful
  • Try to relax and enjoy the games whether you're up or down
  • If something sounds too good to be true ask to see the scrolls - everyone makes mistakes sometimes even with their own rules
  • Try not to waste too much time early on in games so you don't have to rush at the end to try and finish in time - keep an eye on the clock
  • play the scenario! Don't focus exclusively on smashing your opponent (as much as that is fun) that you forget to play the objective...
  • Like 3

Thanks very much! I shall try and take it all on board! We have managed to get about 7 of us going all different armies! Can't wait now! 

I am still trying to find time to finish my army and get games in! Looking forward to meeting some local players :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1