Sylvaneth Wildwood

PJetski

13 minutes ago, Mossback said:

Not quite sure that your monster truck analogy is exactly appropriate. If I have a model with a movement of 7", and the wyldwood is 6" across, I am unhampered at all during my movement phase, as if the scenery doesn't exist. If, however, I have a model that may end up in the wyldwood and some part of his miniature is tangled up in a tree (banner, sword, staff, etc.) then some degree of common sense needs to apply. You wouldn't deny some dragon rider access to a terrain piece just because his base keeps sliding off the rocks, would you?

He the base slide off to where it's every 3 seconds we gotta pick the guy up. I don't think i'd really enjoy the continuous game bosses to pick a dragon whose standing on his tippy toses it's just not fluffy or fun to be honest, it's abit gamey i'd say. 

plus as as you said yourself, @Mossback,  abit of common since must be applied. Maybe your creature can climb over the top of it, but stay there too long will cause the trees to buckle under the creatures weight or what have you.

Either way the whole tree moving thing is strickly a hold over from warhammer fantasy. If you wanted to apply this to everything. I'd pick up builds in 40 because my units are in it. Or my robots who can't really fit in trenches i'd move those while my robots are in that space. However, this is most definitely been frowned upon. I'm not gonna move a skull tower because my dragon doesn't fit on top of the thing. And so on....

So apply these rules equaly it just doesn't seem right to move the trees or allow a model to take the place of the tree. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Mossback said:

I'm not sure Alarielle on her wardroth beetle would even fit inside a wyldwood with all the branches and leaves attached. Common sense needs to be applied, tournament rules or not.

precisely, so you cant place her in one unless there is room. 

5 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

precisely, so you cant place her in one unless there is room. 

She's the queen of the Sylvaneth! You are saying she can't even sit in one of her own wyldwoods? I think GW needs to add some clarity to this so the rules lawyers don't ruin a perfectly good game.

Just now, Mossback said:

She's the queen of the Sylvaneth! You are saying she can't even sit in one of her own wyldwoods? I think GW needs to add some clarity to this so the rules lawyers don't ruin a perfectly good game.

they did. i linked it. the faq?

why would she cower in one of the woods used to protect her troops.

what it represents is monsters being too big to get into some terrain.

You wouldn't see a massive dinosaur go lumbering through the dense woodland, mammoths didn't simply just walk through woods pushing down trees which got in their way, how would they fight in such confined spaces?  it makes sense. it's fine.

4 minutes ago, Mossback said:

I think GW needs to add some clarity to this so the rules lawyers don't ruin a perfectly good game.

if anything, you're abusing what you think should happen to gain an unfair advantage by choosing to ignore terrain and rules which do not suit you. 

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

As shown here, you cannot move through scenery , removing the trees must be discussed, but won't be allowed in tournaments.

I agree that removing trees should be discussed pre game. 

I am just curious why you dont think that this discussion are not something you need at tournaments also and that it will flat out not be allowed. That statement is of course not true in a strict sense since tournaments are run by different people that have different opinions on what is a fun tournaments experience. But I do not doubt you that is true in your local scene. Where is your local scene? I am just curious since it seems really (cant find a good English word..) hard line (is that the correct word, you know what I mean) on alot of subjects. It is just interesting how the game is approached differently in different places.

So I'm trying to wrap my head around the number of woods summoned...

• The Warscroll says a Sylvaneth Wyldwood is made up of 1-3 Citadel Woods.
  • The new entry for the GBH says that the min/max unit size of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood is 1.
  • The GHB says a unit can never contain more models than the maximum unit size listed in the GHB entry.
  • Having two Citadel Woods in your Sylvaneth Wyldwood is having two models, isn't it?

I'm trying to figure out where the confusion is... Is it because the Wyldwood isn't a "unit" per se?

19 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

So I'm trying to wrap my head around the number of woods summoned...

• The Warscroll says a Sylvaneth Wyldwood is made up of 1-3 Citadel Woods.
  • The new entry for the GBH says that the min/max unit size of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood is 1.
  • The GHB says a unit can never contain more models than the maximum unit size listed in the GHB entry.
  • Having two Citadel Woods in your Sylvaneth Wyldwood is having two models, isn't it?

I'm trying to figure out where the confusion is... Is it because the Wyldwood isn't a "unit" per se?

I don't understand the confusion either. In open play I can have a unit with 100 dudes in it,in matched play I'm limited to max size of 40. Same with the woods,in open play I can place 1-3 woods but in matched play I'm limited to 1 wood.

no, this is where people are going wrong. a wood summoned by the Sylvaneth is a sylvaneth wyldwood. 

a Sylvaneth wyldwood is composed of between 1 and 3 normal wood terrain pieces, these must be within 1" of each other. 

a normal wood is just that unless you roll terrain dice on it. 

these are two different things. 

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

I agree that removing trees should be discussed pre game. 

I am just curious why you dont think that this discussion are not something you need at tournaments also and that it will flat out not be allowed. That statement is of course not true in a strict sense since tournaments are run by different people that have different opinions on what is a fun tournaments experience. But I do not doubt you that is true in your local scene. Where is your local scene? I am just curious since it seems really (cant find a good English word..) hard line (is that the correct word, you know what I mean) on alot of subjects. It is just interesting how the game is approached differently in different places.

can you really see games workshop just saying, " yeah just ignore those key rules to our game and remove the terrain as you see fit, as who the hell wants that there?  "

why would any tournament organiser feel differently? if you don't want the trees there, don't place the terrain. 

3 hours ago, Arkiham said:

they did. i linked it. the faq?

why would she cower in one of the woods used to protect her troops.

what it represents is monsters being too big to get into some terrain.

You wouldn't see a massive dinosaur go lumbering through the dense woodland, mammoths didn't simply just walk through woods pushing down trees which got in their way, how would they fight in such confined spaces?  it makes sense. it's fine.

if anything, you're abusing what you think should happen to gain an unfair advantage by choosing to ignore terrain and rules which do not suit you. 

I think we will just agree to disagree.

4 hours ago, Arkiham said:

can you really see games workshop just saying, " yeah just ignore those key rules to our game and remove the terrain as you see fit, as who the hell wants that there?  "

why would any tournament organiser feel differently? if you don't want the trees there, don't place the terrain. 

Because tournament organisers are people and people have different opinions.

And I can absolutly see games workshops saying "make up your own rules, play the way that is most fun for you, our rules are only to be seen as guidelines etc..".

But how you approach the game differs and that is fine. 

Also depending where you live the community differs. Where I live (Sweden) comp in general is very common both in friendly games and at tournaments.

11 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

So, you're happy to completely ignore a rule to suit you

Ok. sure. 

No

I am not sure you get my point. Different areas, different groups of people, different tournaments have different ways to play the game and different house rules where for example measuring from bases is probably the most common house rule (even before generals handbook). There is no universal right or wrong way to play the game or universal opinion what constitutesa fun game of Age of Sigmar. If someone plays the game with removing trees or not doesnt give anyone the right to say they are not doing it wrong if it works for them. But we still can discuss and have opinions on what we think is the best way to do it here on TGA. I sure do.

I do attend tournaments and there I follow the rules set out by the TO. Here in Sweden we usually have a lot of comp I think. For example in the last tournament, Balewind was banned, only one citatel wood, no double effect on abilities (no double bloodsecrator banners), rolling for all traits and artifacts etc.. 

You seems to play in an environment with no comp, I am currious where you play (for example is it a US thing). I am not saying you are doing it wrong. In fact you are doing it right, if it is fun for you and the people you play!

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that moving the trees from a Citadel Wood scenery model for the purpose of being practical is fine - no point in snagging your models or scenery after all.  However the void where the tree comes out of should be impassible - tree-folk or not ;).  If a model cannot fit then I'm sorry it can't fit.  That's at least how I view it and I know this view is shared by the people I play casual games with.

But as with all things AoS, it needs to be discussed at the start of the game as to how you both think it should work, unless you're playing in an event where it's got an event rule.

Equally I'd have no issue somebody just bringing the base to a casual game (public transport user knows how difficult it can be), however I'd be a little bit peeved if somebody did this at a tournament - as a summonable piece of terrain is technically part of your army so should be complete.

8 hours ago, discoking said:

I don't understand the confusion either. In open play I can have a unit with 100 dudes in it,in matched play I'm limited to max size of 40. Same with the woods,in open play I can place 1-3 woods but in matched play I'm limited to 1 wood.

Very clearly put. :) I am not supporting either side, and will say it needs an FAQ to be cleared.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that moving the trees from a Citadel Wood scenery model for the purpose of being practical is fine - no point in snagging your models or scenery after all.  However the void where the tree comes out of should be impassible - tree-folk or not ;).  If a model cannot fit then I'm sorry it can't fit.  That's at least how I view it and I know this view is shared by the people I play casual games with.

But as with all things AoS, it needs to be discussed at the start of the game as to how you both think it should work, unless you're playing in an event where it's got an event rule.

Equally I'd have no issue somebody just bringing the base to a casual game (public transport user knows how difficult it can be), however I'd be a little bit peeved if somebody did this at a tournament - as a summonable piece of terrain is technically part of your army so should be complete.

I agree (but I'm out of likes).

Of course you could probably argue that the branches matter as they form part of the model and you can't move through scenery models which would prevent taller models using the woods as effectively, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate there though  

Id also add that where I have no issue with people house ruling with each other to ignore the actual tree models, they shouldn't be then using that as a basis to argue having the official rules altered because their house rule makes the wildwoods more powerful 

I never understood people who get their panties in such a twist over how people on another continent play with tiny toy soldiers.

Games Workshop's stance has always been, "play it your way." AoS is fundamentally a game in the Beer 'n' Pretzels style that is open to whatever house ruling you want - heck the way to manage rules disputes is to talk it out with your opponent. Madness, right? Actually talking to your opponent? Tch, it'll never catch on...

I think GW has to Faq !! Its ok about home rules, but if i play a tournament,and a game without it die istanty ( GW forced to write GHB with matched play because many people stopped play aos ( see 9 age etc)) 

People that play tourney wants clare rules! Its more fun if we are not forced to according each other!!

3 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

I think GW has to Faq !! Its ok about home rules, but if i play a tournament,and a game without it die istanty ( GW forced to write GHB with matched play because many people stopped play aos ( see 9 age etc)) 

People that play tourney wants clare rules! Its more fun if we are not forced to according each other!!

AoS is and has been on the up and up. 9th age is very under represented for how much they claim it's played 

I'm not sure how much this concept contributes to the discussion, but this feels like something you may want to have a word about with your friendly tree player before each game.

I have been up against lots of armies that weren't fun to play against, but that's usually just because the kind of game I was desiring didn't align with my opponent's. I usually just ask "Is your list competitive, or is it fluffy?" I try to carry two lists but lately I have been going with only a moderately competitive list that's easy to beat so I can just roll some dice. 

Archived