Sylvaneth Wildwood

PJetski

With the recent addition of points to this model, I would like to open a discussion about this terrain piece because I feel that tree spamming is not something that is fun to play against. This style of sitting back and spamming trees all over the board reminds me of playing against discard/counter decks in card games which are not fun for either player.

1. Should it cost points for Sylvaneth allegiance? If so, how many points do you think it should cost?

2. The warscroll states it is composed of 1-3 Citadel Woods - how do you determine how many to place?

3. If it does not cost points, do you use any house rules to reign in the abuse potential?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, how many people are going to carry around 6 citadel woods with them? it has to be fully constructed and not just the Base.

I can't even store 3 at home without then breaking, God knows how hard it would be to transport them.

It's up to 3, I'd place 3 at once and then concentrate spells on damage or defence the bonuses for being in the woods aren't even that great tbh. 

Your fears are based on theory-craft and what ifs. people don't play like this.

Having played against Sylvaneth, these coupled with terrain already on the field allowed them full command of where I was going to end up. So yes, I agree they should have points because they directly benefit the sylvaneth and are detrimental to non-sylvaneth. I ended up completely and utterly trounced and don't particularly want to play against them again.

Even "terrain destruction" only removes the special rules - the trees stay in place. This is normally better since they cannot just summon another one in the same place.

They can still shoot Snowballs through it to end units of Dryads or Treelords.

Had you read their allegiance abilities and Warscrolls before you played the game?

What army were you playing?

Nope, I had no idea the shitstorm I was going into, guy simple needed an opponent for a booked slot down GW. And it was my first proper game of AoS. I had mixed destruction, a non comp list really. It's in my blog/forum thread.

I didn't particularly want to move large blocks of grots through a long alleyway of trees only to meet a treelord at the other end.

1 minute ago, Nico said:

Even "terrain destruction" only removes the special rules - the trees stay in place. This is normally better since they cannot just summon another one in the same place.

They can still shoot Snowballs through it to end units of Dryads or Treelords.

Yeah I've considered that. I've really been considering a Sylvaneth army just for difference, I don't expect to do amazingly well with them.

Anyway.  what I was thinking of doing was essentially trapping in my opponents non flying large models, monsters an such like so they're excluded from the game.

So you had a first game against a faction, were caught unawares by their new schtick, and now declare them to be cheese?

Mon dieu, formulate a little. Learn from your errors, adapt to your enemy. The local Sylvaneth player was wrecking my army mercilessly in every game I played. Recently I've managed 3 consecutive wins as I familiarised myself with their capabilities, and most importantly, their limits.

The Wyldwoods should never cost points for an army with a Sylvaneth Allegiance, simply because the Sylvaneth rely on the Wyldwoods to be effective.  

If you want to enforce a point cost, you will be asking your opponent to sacrifice 10% of his points just so he can play on an even playing field with you (a lot of their units are sub-par for their point cost without Wyldwoods).   

2 minutes ago, bottle said:

I'm interested in knowing if the Min/Max being set to 1 on the Pitched Battle profile means that in Matched Play a Wyldwood can now only be made up of 1 "model". Is this right or am I missing something?

A Sylvaneth Wyldwood consists of 1-3 normal wood terrain pieces placed next to each other  

So you had a first game against a faction, were caught unawares by their new schtick, and now declare them to be cheese?
Mon dieu, formulate a little. Learn from your errors, adapt to your enemy. The local Sylvaneth player was wrecking my army mercilessly in every game I played. Recently I've managed 3 consecutive wins as I familiarised myself with their capabilities, and most importantly, their limits.

Wow there, calm down, don't need to go throwing around the accusations. I simply believe the sylvaneth are strong enough that them having to pay for woods seems fine.

52 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Wow there, calm down, don't need to go throwing around the accusations. I simply believe the sylvaneth are strong enough that them having to pay for woods seems fine.

If they are strong enough without them why has gw made it an option exclusively for them to summon them ? and made it free to summon once they revised it.

6 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

If they are strong enough without them why has gw made it an option exclusively for them to summon them ? and made it free to summon once they revised it.

For the obvious readon that maybe GW didn't quite get the balance right in the first  try, or maybe just chose theme over balance

Well that escalated quickly. 

Playing against Slyvaneth has left me with the impression that the Wildwoods and taken into account in the cost of the whole army. They are very much needed to provide decent mobility and allow units their special rules which justify their costs.  I felt that without them they'd have been very vulnerable.  

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

For the obvious readon that maybe GW didn't quite get the balance right in the first  try, or maybe just chose theme over balance

Go and play Sylvaneth without any woods. They do not perform well. They need the Wyldwoods to increase their damage output, and give them their mobility

Archived