Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

8 minutes ago, Lord-Of-Scotland said:

if they leave there Hero's to close could be a might be a nice character snipe/just getting some mw on them. 

Yup that is arguably the biggest strength to the sling shields. At least from my experience.  A unit of 30 charging is on average going to do 5 mortal wounds. Which against something like a blob of skinks isn't a big deal but 5-6 mortal wounds against smaller support characters will kill them outright, knock a monster down a tier or two, or kill a couple paladins.  Which allows your vulkites to focus all their attacks against another unit. 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cburns said:

Yup that is arguably the biggest strength to the sling shields. At least from my experience.  A unit of 30 charging is on average going to do 5 mortal wounds. Which against something like a blob of skinks isn't a big deal but 5-6 mortal wounds against smaller support characters will kill them outright, knock a monster down a tier or two, or kill a couple paladins.  Which allows your vulkites to focus all their attacks against another unit. 

how does line of sight affect this? (I'm new to the game)

say i charge a unit of ghouls and there's a ghoul king directly behind them. Can I throw straight at the ghoul king or would it need to be a hero that's in more direct los?

44 minutes ago, cranc said:

say i charge a unit of ghouls and there's a ghoul king directly behind them. Can I throw straight at the ghoul king or would it need to be a hero that's in more direct los?

This is the conversation a few guys around me had, nowhere does it mention los. so yes from what I understand because its an ability you can hit a model behind the unit and he could be behind a wall and u could still hit him.   

5 minutes ago, Lord-Of-Scotland said:

This is the conversation a few guys around me had, nowhere does it mention los. so yes from what I understand because its an ability you can hit a model behind the unit and he could be behind a wall and u could still hit him.   

yeah that was my thinking too

Plus the image of a volley of 30 razor sharp frisbees whizzing over a battle line to rain down on the general is coolaf

2 hours ago, cranc said:

2 hours ago, Lord-Of-Scotland said:

It isn't a shooting attack. Instead its an ability. The rule says you pick a single unit within 1/2 during the charge phase after you have made a successful charge, each model then roles a dice on a 6 it does a mortal wound.  It can be super strong or it can do nothing at all I've had both situations occur.

8 hours ago, cranc said:

No such thing as 'more direct los'. Also units almost never block los.

Though as others said, los isn't mentioned at all - well done on that FAQ writers lol

They'll need to update the update to the FAQ.

7 hours ago, cburns said:

It isn't a shooting attack. Instead its an ability. The rule says you pick a single unit within 1/2 during the charge phase after you have made a successful charge, each model then roles a dice on a 6 it does a mortal wound.  It can be super strong or it can do nothing at all I've had both situations occur.

This part of the rule no longer applies. It’s literally fully replaced by the faq. 

IMO the new sling shields rule is much (or at least a little bit) stronger in practice. Since the opponent usually tries to hide the target you want to hit and 8" istead of 1/2" makes a lot of difference even if not all might be in range. I rather have 15 throws on the gaunt summoner instead of 30 throws on the blue horrors infront of him.

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

IMO the new sling shields rule is much (or at least a little bit) stronger in practice. Since the opponent usually tries to hide the target you want to hit and 8" istead of 1/2" makes a lot of difference even if not all might be in range. I rather have 15 throws on the gaunt summoner instead of 30 throws on the blue horrors infront of him.

That is a very good point indeed. 

Hey guys so, Fyreslayers are on my list of 'armies I might start' alongside Disciples of Tzeentch and possibly Nighthaunt/Death. 

So far the biggest draw to Fyreslayers is that

>They're more expensive to buy than other armies

>They have much more limited unit types than other armies

>Their armies largely look the same - naked dwarves with mohawks and axes 

>They rely on a horde of Vulkites to remain competitive - from 60 to 90 easy

Am I wrong? Personally I like the models so far but I have to agree they mostly all look the same and have very limited selections, even in the Allies department. And yeah, they are pretty expensive. I dunno. 

13 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Hey guys so, Fyreslayers are on my list of 'armies I might start' alongside Disciples of Tzeentch and possibly Nighthaunt/Death. 

So far the biggest draw to Fyreslayers is that

>They're more expensive to buy than other armies

>They have much more limited unit types than other armies

>Their armies largely look the same - naked dwarves with mohawks and axes 

>They rely on a horde of Vulkites to remain competitive - from 60 to 90 easy

Am I wrong? Personally I like the models so far but I have to agree they mostly all look the same and have very limited selections, even in the Allies department. And yeah, they are pretty expensive. I dunno. 

No, you are correct. ?

13 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Well ******. I didn't want to be correct.

Well what are the advantages to playing Fyreslayers? 

fielding an army of awesome naked dwarfs that almost no one else will be fielding. You are an onslaught of magma that melts your opposition.  Plus the whole army wide rune system is actually really cool and it really lets you change up on the fly to do what needs to be done that turn. The army choices are limited but its made up by the fact you can change buffs every turn. 

Also fire dinos and you throw razor sharp shields like captain america.

I just started my fyreslayers and have yet to play a game with them....but theres just something magical about them I can't place, its the style and my already dwarf-like appearance that calls to me.

If you're looking for variety Fyreslayers are not for you. They are a hammer that smashes their oppoents, an axe that cleaves into their lines and wont back down. Death is getting revamped but they also lack variety and are hordy. Tzeetch has loads of units and spells and combinations but they are, much like their god, a flurry of complex moving parts that need to go just right to do really well. 

Thats my 2 cents. 

13 minutes ago, Envyus said:

These guys just look too much alike and are mirrored in some cases. I feel like a new sculpt would heavily benefit them despite how new they are. 

99120205015_FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers01.jpg

Not only that, look at this. Just an example 1000pt list. 

Fyreslayers 1k - Theory List with Prices
Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Fury of the Fyreslayers 
- Artefact: Obsidian Coronet 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Forge Key
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (200)
- Poleaxes
10 x Auric Hearthguard (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

Start Collecting 2x - $150
Hearthguard x4 - $140
Runesmiter #2 - $12

Surely other 1000pt armies don't cost $300 bucks just to start up. Not to mention the rules want you to run Vulkites in squads of 30.

Yeah as someone mentioned Fyreslayers price wise indicate an elite army. But Point and statline wise they want a horde army. 

A side effect of GW not really knowing what they were doing at Lanuch. They should have their warscrolls completely remade.

12 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Well ******. I didn't want to be correct.

Well what are the advantages to playing Fyreslayers? 

There is a lot of advantages. It's one of the coolest looking army on the tabletop that for me seems to draw a lot of attention.

They are both forgiving and hard to master. They are forgiving in that they are durable, if you expose a unit by mistake it is often not that bad anyway, and you don't need to measure placements of individual models in fractions of an inch, it doesn't matter. They are hard to master in that you almost always need to play the scenario, you will not just run over the opponents in my experience. You have pretty limited damage output so you need to master target priority. They have limited movement so you need to master where and when to use the tunneling. Using the right rune at the right time I think is also something you can really learn to master.

Another good thing is that they IMO don't really have any terrible matchups. It feels like you have a shoot at winning againt every list out there, (this I can't know of course, it's from my limited experience), so even if you lose you would like to try match up again.

What do you guys think of this 1000pt list? It's a bit of a waste of the Runesmiter since he can't tunnel, so maybe drop the Battlesmith and the Runeson to put him on a Magmadroth? Idk. It's a work in progress. But I really like Forge Brethren. 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Fury of the Fyreslayers 
- Artefact: Obsidian Coronet 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Auric Runeson (80)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Artefact: Meteoric Axe 
Battlesmith (80)
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (120)
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (100)
Forge Brethren (130)

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 57

Working with the Forge Brethren Battalion for the free mystic shields, with a lot of support heroes. Use the smiter to tunnel an Auric squad to grab objectives, and screen the other two Aurics with the beefed up Vulkites. Give them both +1 to their saves. Good stuff. How's it look? I know the meta is to run 30x Vulkite or nothing, but I'm just starting out. I can do that later. 

Edit: Realized an issue. I can only use Forgefire if my Aurics are in 10" of the Runesmiter, which means I probably can't tunnel with him until later on in the game. And that's IF he survives. That means I can
>Drop the Battlesmith and Runeson, put the Runesmiter on a Magmadroth 
>Drop Forge Brethren completely and just get another 5 Aurics for two 10 man squads. 
>Leave it as is so you can pull the Runesmiter trick at the last minute and grab an objective with whoever is alive. 

If you are wanting to run the Forge Brethren then I think its a good list lots of small units to do different things with. 

I only have 2 questions with it, what's the job of the runeson here?? whenever I have used him I never got anything out of him, also he's not buffing the army. if he's for killing things would the Grimwrath not be a better choice for the same points.

2: is the fury of the Fyreslayers really necessary ?? yes with the RuneFarther as your general you basically have a 8" pile in while near him but personally 5" is fine and take either Spirit of Grimnir or Exemplar of the ancestor.

but apart from that I like it, I would keep the battlesmith for that save re-roll, if you do change something maybe just take another runesmitter and tunnel some VB.

14 minutes ago, Lord-Of-Scotland said:

If you are wanting to run the Forge Brethren then I think its a good list lots of small units to do different things with. 

I only have 2 questions with it, what's the job of the runeson here?? whenever I have used him I never got anything out of him, also he's not buffing the army. if he's for killing things would the Grimwrath not be a better choice for the same points.

2: is the fury of the Fyreslayers really necessary ?? yes with the RuneFarther as your general you basically have a 8" pile in while near him but personally 5" is fine and take either Spirit of Grimnir or Exemplar of the ancestor.

but apart from that I like it, I would keep the battlesmith for that save re-roll, if you do change something maybe just take another runesmitter and tunnel some VB.

I mostly like the look of the Runeson with javelin. Plus, he's a good ranged option when we have very little. Javelin with D3(+2 to monsters) + D3 from the Meteoric Axe throw can really put some hurt on an enemy while you're charging up field. That's my idea, at least. I'll probably build and paint him even if I don't use him, since I think the Shadespire dwarfs look like better Runesons than the one in the box. Look at his tiny axe!

And yeah, Grimnir or Exemplar are both really good options, though I imagine Exemplar being more useful what with my MSU style list.

Question: Are Hearthguard berserkers worth taking, now that Lords of the Lodge has been nerfed? I know they're a good access to mortal wounds, but they're still one wound models. Maybe a brick of 30 is the only way to make them worth it.

that's fair with the RuneSon the javelins good, and the Shadesspire dwarfs are so cool the main one is being my general takeing the place of the normal RuneFarther. might see where I can fit the others in as well, lead a VB unit maybe 

Most of the time I'm taking Exemplar just so useful. and  Grimnir is just cool also 

my 2k army has a block of 30 in it and just keep a Hero near by 5+ armour and 4+ mortal/ wound is good, I'm generally going to tunnel mine and then keep buffing them with the RuneSmitter to re-roll wounds. 

Archived