Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having played fyreslayer games, I honestly don't think that fyreslayers are as mega strong as some people make them out to be.

First of all, the runes. Depending on enemies and your army composition, some runes quickly lose any usefulness. That hit rerolls of 1 for is tiny benefit to begin with and it is utterly useless for vulkites with double axes. Your only real hope with this one is to get that super rune effect for 1 extra attack. On some scenarios against fast alpha strike armies speed rune also loses value fast and the same with that double range axes. I've already ended up twice in situation where I've had to pick useless rune, simply because all the good ones for the situation at hand were spent already.

As for units, well they're still slow and lack true killing power. Thanks to fyreslayers' base size, getting more than about 8-12 slayers in base contact is very difficult. The lack of proper rend means that you are overly reliant on that rend rune and if for whatever reason you ****** the turn you use that rune (failed charges, abysmal dice rolls, good save rolls for opponent etc.) You are almost screwed for the rest of the game.

Fyreslayers' inability to properly kill these 2+ save reroll saves of 1 guys is what really hurts this army when facing against any tough elites. Sure hg berzerkers can do it but once again, they're slow. If they are at the wrong place, you'll never be able to move them fast enough where they're needed.

Fyreslayers are obviously much much better than they used to be, but in all honesty, I don't see them being any higher than tier 2 army, competetive but not quite up there with the big boys. Unless of course, everyone starts playing squishy hordes in which case fyreslayers start dancing happily.

42 minutes ago, Blood&skulls said:

Not so much looking at ways to counter them. I'm not a bad player and not particularly competitive and as I say I already beat him once so It's more of a curiosity tbh. 

I play mortal khorne with a decent enough list. 

I caught him cheating with the battalion modifier to the turn roll, 200+ extra points, having a save, reroll of save, save after the save then a reeoll of that second save making it very difficult to even kill a single model. With using the new runes more than one per turn. 

It was also on a small table. Maybe all these factors have given me the wrong impression but they seem really ridiculous And I'm just curious if it's me or has anybody else noticed this? 

Based on all that I would say you definitely didn't get a fair experience of the fyreslayers, infact any army at all with all those extra bonuses (cheats) would be near unbeatable or seem disproportionately stronger than they actually are.

On a normal sized table the slow movement of the fyreslayers you could really exploit. The way you played it on a small table essentially made it so that the biggest weakness of the army has been removed. With the rerolls sniping key units would be key there. Remove the battlesmith and the rerollable save is gone and the fyreslayer player faces a choice of giving up all movement (except pile in moves) on a unit and gain rerolls to hit and wound or to ignore it and lose all benefits from a model.

But as I said at the start of my post, 200+ points over the limit, table size, cheating with runes and cheating with battalion benefits you definitely didn't get a fair representation of the army

Hey guys wanted to see if anyone had an answer to a rules question I have in regards to the "Hot-Blooded Fury" rule gained from the Lord s of the Lodge Battalion.  As it states you can "add 1 to the result of your dice roll for each hero from the Lords of the Lodge that is on the battlefield" (once per battle when rolling to see takes the first turn in a battle round).  This now directly contradicts with the new 4th rule of one from GHB 2017.  I assume that this means that this ability is no longer usable in matched play, but I wanted to get your opinions as this is a very powerful ability for the battalion, and is what I had previously built my list around.  Thoughts?

-CB 

On 2017-10-01 at 8:56 PM, Veterannoob said:

Gah, I really wished I could have been there :( Maybe next Fanatic. I had a blast last year and the scene there was great (even the "wild Finns" I was told aboutxD). Glad to hear you did well and we had some Fyreslayers representing! Looking forward to your report. If it's else where would you mind posting a link in reply here please?

Thanks!

I made a new topic in the order forum (Fyreslayers at fanatic) where I have/will post the small battle reports.

6 hours ago, Andreas said:

I made a new topic in the order forum (Fyreslayers at fanatic) where I have/will post the battle small reports.

Will look at them now, sounds like it was a fun tournament and your fyreslayers did well :)

Just in case there's any confusion - deploying a Runesmiter and X together does count as one deployment drop.

You could take 3 units of Vulkites and 3 Runesmiters and deploy 3 drops off the board.

So, had a question about the thungur lodge... well 2 or 3 questions.

Has anyone here done that paint scheme and if so how did you do it and how did it turn out? I know duncan has a vid on it on youtube but it wasn't the look I was going for... The wash looked far too patchy for my liking as I love a smooth finish.

And next question, does anyone know what unrefined hyshian crystals would look like?

What's the situation on a battlesmith giving failed save rerolls and then the invuln save kicking in after that? Is this still legit. Someone questioned me on it saying you can't reroll rerolls...I hope this makes sense. I'm talking about the vulkites and bezerkers invuln saves. 

I've played Fyreslayers from the outset & always found they were competitive for a tier 2 army. I did alright with them as a solo faction at South coast this year. I can't wait to get the games in with the new buffs, the runes are gold...pardon the pun. Runeson on magma is getting dusted off for that D3 charge. I've got some 1day events coming up this month so I'll keep you all posted on results and my thoughts. 

On 02/10/2017 at 5:07 AM, cburns said:

Hey guys wanted to see if anyone had an answer to a rules question I have in regards to the "Hot-Blooded Fury" rule gained from the Lord s of the Lodge Battalion.  As it states you can "add 1 to the result of your dice roll for each hero from the Lords of the Lodge that is on the battlefield" (once per battle when rolling to see takes the first turn in a battle round).  This now directly contradicts with the new 4th rule of one from GHB 2017.  I assume that this means that this ability is no longer usable in matched play, but I wanted to get your opinions as this is a very powerful ability for the battalion, and is what I had previously built my list around.  Thoughts?

-CB 

Yea this has gone now but the pts have been dropped to 90 to reflect the loss of this ability. The double bezerkers hitting is still a thing though

7 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

What's the situation on a battlesmith giving failed save rerolls and then the invuln save kicking in after that? Is this still legit. Someone questioned me on it saying you can't reroll rerolls...I hope this makes sense. I'm talking about the vulkites and bezerkers invuln saves. 

Not sure I follow. But the smith would give a reroll to the armour save. And then the berzerkers and vulkites have a save after the save. That's not a reroll and it doesn't get a reroll from the smith. Only the normal save does.

1 minute ago, Centuryslayer said:

Not sure I follow. But the smith would give a reroll to the armour save. And then the berzerkers and vulkites have a save after the save. That's not a reroll and it doesn't get a reroll from the smith. Only the normal save does.

This is what I suspected, it's not the same stage...I.e. stage 1 is the armour save and battlesmith allowing the reroll, stage 2 is the appllication of the ward/invulnerable save which isn't the same as rerolling the armour save...it's just when I did this he was questioning it as in I was rerolling a reroll and it put me on the back foot as I didn't know for sure what the ruling now was.

Typically I think it's the speed it's going in, sometimes the purpose of rolls isn't communicated at all, so that seems like a re-roll for the opponent. Same as still saying yeah Im rolling To Hit here still. With Khorne specifically it might not be possible to do all the Hit rolls in one handful of dice ;) 

In any case, Im thinking picking up Fyreslayers as a Order army, what would be your guys advice to start out? In addition how did most of you start out the moment the Battletome was released? I also hope GW will eventually make the Fyreslayer Warscroll cards and I also still have a plan to work out the Runes in a card system aswell. Will post that in a seperate topic as soon as the project is finished. It will look a lot like the Blood Tithe cards, but in their own form offcourse.

I started with 2 start collecting as a good base. That got me 20 vulkites, 1 father on magmadroth, 1 son on droth, both on foot and 2 runesmiters.

So a bunch of heroes and a start on the battleline. You could probably do 1 start collecting. Unless you want more than one magmadroth.

My next purchases was hearthguards and the battlesmith. I need more battleline still but it's been a fun project to paint so far. Only played them in oath to glory so far but they performed great

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2017 at 2:38 AM, Tzeentch said:

I have a question that might have been answered before...  Is it possible to tunnel your ENTIRE army such that you don't deploy anything during Setup?

Possible yes, would you want to probably not... there is a new battalion in GHB2017 that lets unit’s come on from a board edge and I’m not sure of its usefulness in matched play, but to tunnel every unit would require one smiter per unit which would leave you light on other necessary buff characters. I find 2 units tunnelling is plenty. Tunnel units of 30 onto an objective and and in range of a battlesmith and they won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. 

On 10/7/2017 at 6:00 AM, Killax said:

Typically I think it's the speed it's going in, sometimes the purpose of rolls isn't communicated at all, so that seems like a re-roll for the opponent. Same as still saying yeah Im rolling To Hit here still. With Khorne specifically it might not be possible to do all the Hit rolls in one handful of dice ;) 

In any case, Im thinking picking up Fyreslayers as a Order army, what would be your guys advice to start out? In addition how did most of you start out the moment the Battletome was released? I also hope GW will eventually make the Fyreslayer Warscroll cards and I also still have a plan to work out the Runes in a card system aswell. Will post that in a seperate topic as soon as the project is finished. It will look a lot like the Blood Tithe cards, but in their own form offcourse.

I looked at fyreslayers. For a well rounded 2000 point army, it looked to run me about 800 US dollars.

7 hours ago, stratigo said:

I looked at fyreslayers. For a well rounded 2000 point army, it looked to run me about 800 US dollars.

Really? What’s your well round list? My 2000 pts list I just totalled up came to less than £400 from a great 3rd party webstore. It could be less if I got two of the characters from silver tower and sold the others. 

a bunch of vulkites, one magmadroth, one unit each of the hearthguard and four other chars.

The vulkites are the big ticket cause you want to run them in large squads, and they come in boxes of 10 for around 45 US by GW.

Then I wanted a auric hearthguard strike package consisting of the runesmiter teleporting in a 30 man auric hearthguard.

Rounding out I had 15 hearthguard berzerkers.

Then I had the runeson on magmadroth, a runefather, and a battlesmith, with 80 points left over for another character.

leveraging the start collecting box, this entire force came to 805 dollars before tax.

Now, if I had looked to take two magmadroths, I could shave maybe 100ish dollars off that from the start collecting bundle. But I wouldn't grab any more than two at the most.

I recently got some fyreslayers dirt cheap secondhand but the 30 hearthguard comes with broadaxes, does anyone know a cool way to convert some poleaxes :P?

(Alternatively, I suppose I could get aurics and use the leftover bits for the HBs but fishing for ideas)

8 hours ago, stratigo said:

a bunch of vulkites, one magmadroth, one unit each of the hearthguard and four other chars.

The vulkites are the big ticket cause you want to run them in large squads, and they come in boxes of 10 for around 45 US by GW.

Then I wanted a auric hearthguard strike package consisting of the runesmiter teleporting in a 30 man auric hearthguard.

Rounding out I had 15 hearthguard berzerkers.

Then I had the runeson on magmadroth, a runefather, and a battlesmith, with 80 points left over for another character.

leveraging the start collecting box, this entire force came to 805 dollars before tax.

Now, if I had looked to take two magmadroths, I could shave maybe 100ish dollars off that from the start collecting bundle. But I wouldn't grab any more than two at the most.

That before tax as well? Crikey. For that price you could probably fly to the UK and back and pic the up army cheaper ?

Archived