Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

7 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

The box has magmadroth which builds any combo of dad, son or smiter one on beast and other two on foot, usable all 3 at once from the Kit. 

Yes I know, but is the warscroll for each of them on foot and mounted in the box? GW doesn't seem to have on foot warscrolls for dad or smiter up on their website.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just wrote up a relatively cheap list, how would it do?

Runemaster - General (exemplar of the ancestor)

Runefather on Magmadroth

Runeson on Magmadroth (waraxe)

Runesmiter on Magmadroth (forge key)

Runesmiter (forge key)

Runesmiter (forge key)

Hearthguard (x30 models)

Vulkite Berzerkers (x30 models, slingshields/picks)

Vulkite Berzerkers (x 20 models, double axes)

(in terms of artefacts I'm not sure, either ash-plume sigil on the runemaster or volcanic rune on the runefather)

So basic strat here would be to try to use the runemasters "buff" to maximum effect in an alpha strike. If the opponent picks a good unit to get the ur-gold (and leaves enough space) I'd use the tunnels to get the runemaster and the hearthguard within range. As the runemaster will be within 10" so can see the ur-gold and the HG all should be in range that would 90 good quality shots into that unit, with the other added bonus that if the unit was tough I could use the axe buff to increase the range on the throwing axes and would have 60+ axe throws too.

T list allows for some flexibility as I could change what goes into the tunnels based on the opponents list or deployment. Not going to be a tournament winning list, but as I said relatively cheap and seems like it should do alright (+ I love a good alpha strike)

20 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Yes I know, but is the warscroll for each of them on foot and mounted in the box? GW doesn't seem to have on foot warscrolls for dad or smiter up on their website.

Don't have the box myself so can't comment on if it's in there, but if you need the warscroll you could get the AoS app and dl the warscrolls there.

Added bonus is that usually they're kept quite up to date on the app so you won't be caught out by any rules changes as long as you redownload them occasionally 

4 minutes ago, Waizer said:

Don't have the box myself so can't comment on if it's in there, but if you need the warscroll you could get the AoS app and dl the warscrolls there.

Added bonus is that usually they're kept quite up to date on the app so you won't be caught out by any rules changes as long as you redownload them occasionally 

I just found them on the AoS app. Looks like I have to do the round about thing of viewing it there, taking a screen shot and then printing it out to get a paper copy if doesn't actually come in the box. So I feel good about picking up the box tomorrow no matter what warscrolls are actually printed and in the box.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

I just found them on the AoS app. Looks like I have to do the round about thing of viewing it there, taking a screen shot and then printing it out to get a paper copy if doesn't actually come in the box. So I feel good about picking up the box tomorrow no matter what warscrolls are actually printed and in the box.

Any chance you can let me know what does come in the box in terms of warscrolls etc? Going to need to buy 3+ of them soon

9 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Unless you have different contents the magmadroth instructions in the box are detailed, color paint section, and 6 scrolls buildable from heroes, some on other sides of pages. Hopefully you got the correct instructions. The app is valid but a printed copy to cut to size (I have several!) is nice and GW customer service may mail you a correct instructions packet if need be. Hope it works out. And...welcome to the glory that is The Lodges!B|

15 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

The box has magmadroth which builds any combo of dad, son or smiter one on beast and other two on foot, usable all 3 at once from the Kit. 

Not exactly.

There is only one lowerbody on foot that correspond to the son/dad as the Runesmitter is made of one block.

So if you plan to put the runesmitter on the magmadroth, you have to choose between son and dad on foot.

If you plan to get the dad/son on Magmadroth, you can have the two other heroes on foot.

5 hours ago, kozokus said:

Not exactly.

There is only one lowerbody on foot that correspond to the son/dad as the Runesmitter is made of one block.

So if you plan to put the runesmitter on the magmadroth, you have to choose between son and dad on foot.

If you plan to get the dad/son on Magmadroth, you can have the two other heroes on foot.

Yes, that's true :) If you take a young flamling  or pappy on droth the other stands, and smiter is as you said, one single piece. Sorry, I guess wasn't making sense earlier. Love these longs days at work... :S

On 9/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, Waizer said:

Any chance you can let me know what does come in the box in terms of warscrolls etc? Going to need to buy 3+ of them soon

Ok, so I got my box of fire dwafs this evening. In the little assembly/warscroll book that comes with(printed for the SC box, not a repack of existing printed material for the units) it has the warscroll for the Vulkanite Berserkers(obviously) and unfortunately only have the war scrolls for the what it shows on the front of the box and has the Runefather on magmadroth and the son and smiter on foot.  So my clumsy screenshot from the mobile app will be my hard copy of rune dad's warscroll.

I've been giving a lot of thought to list building over the last while with a focus not on what's really good but more what the list needs. Some thoughts, please add the benefit of your experiences. This is geared towards competitive play.

1. From an efficiency point of view, vulkites do most jobs as well or better than hearthguard. Unless taking Lords of the lodge, they're probably not worth it.
  2. Aurics are vulnerable but with the addition of a runesmiter they offer something that the list does not otherwise have, the ability to alpha strike key pieces. Bubble wrapping with chaff is easy for most factions and there are lists (Kroak or gaunt summoner on a balewind vortex spring to mind) that are becoming more common and need to be dealt with quickly. Nothing else in the list that I can see can take down these sorts of guys quickly enough. On paper, hearthguard look much better but perhaps they just offer more of what we already have?
  3. I can't make my mind up about magmadroths. One is an easy target giving skyfires some easy target identification, 3 sound like they'll do some work together but the points may be more effective elsewhere. I think if you take multiples you'll need a big unit of poleaxes in Lords of the lodge to deal with big nasties such as stardrakes.
  4. A maxed out Warrior kinband looks like a solid choice, efficient and useful but I don't know if it's worth 90 points for the benefits, the choices look strong enough alone.
  5. We obviously can't have a full warrior kinband, tunnelling aurics, multiple magmadroths and lords of the lodge in one list. These seem to be our main tools. My questions is, which of these do you feel like you're missing the most when you don't have them in your list?

10 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Ok, so I got my box of fire dwafs this evening. In the little assembly/warscroll book that comes with(printed for the SC box, not a repack of existing printed material for the units) it has the warscroll for the Vulkanite Berserkers(obviously) and unfortunately only have the war scrolls for the what it shows on the front of the box and has the Runefather on magmadroth and the son and smiter on foot.  So my clumsy screenshot from the mobile app will be my hard copy of rune dad's warscroll.

Are you in the US by any chance? If so I can mail you the missing warscrolls since they aren't in the box apparently. Guess I just got lucky :) 

18 hours ago, Jamie Ferguson said:

I've been giving a lot of thought to list building over the last while with a focus not on what's really good but more what the list needs. Some thoughts, please add the benefit of your experiences. This is geared towards competitive play.

1. From an efficiency point of view, vulkites do most jobs as well or better than hearthguard. Unless taking Lords of the lodge, they're probably not worth it.
  2. Aurics are vulnerable but with the addition of a runesmiter they offer something that the list does not otherwise have, the ability to alpha strike key pieces. Bubble wrapping with chaff is easy for most factions and there are lists (Kroak or gaunt summoner on a balewind vortex spring to mind) that are becoming more common and need to be dealt with quickly. Nothing else in the list that I can see can take down these sorts of guys quickly enough. On paper, hearthguard look much better but perhaps they just offer more of what we already have?
  3. I can't make my mind up about magmadroths. One is an easy target giving skyfires some easy target identification, 3 sound like they'll do some work together but the points may be more effective elsewhere. I think if you take multiples you'll need a big unit of poleaxes in Lords of the lodge to deal with big nasties such as stardrakes.
  4. A maxed out Warrior kinband looks like a solid choice, efficient and useful but I don't know if it's worth 90 points for the benefits, the choices look strong enough alone.
  5. We obviously can't have a full warrior kinband, tunnelling aurics, multiple magmadroths and lords of the lodge in one list. These seem to be our main tools. My questions is, which of these do you feel like you're missing the most when you don't have them in your list?

A couple comments:

1) Yes, although HGB retain their 4+ ward while in small numbers.  A unit of 15 could have a strategic role in some lists.

2) Yes, but I'm not they are doing too much more work than a double deep striking Kinbad augmented Vulkite blocks when you pop the Rune of Farsight.  The Those two blocks are going to throw 120 handaxes to a target within 16" of their deepstrike (which is the longer range than the Auric's 15").  The Aurics would get 60 shots and 30 throws, averaging 21 wounds (13 @-1 rend) versus the average 30 wounds from the double vulkite's handaxes.  Thus the Aurics are getting 12 damage through against 4+ saves and 8 damage through against 3+ saves, while the Vulkites are getting 15 damage through against a 4+ and 10 damage on average against a 3+.  Each Vulkite blocks is also generating 5 average mortal wounds on the charge and will be very difficult to shift; the Aurics will explode if touched...and the Aurics cost 50% more points.  For assassination, just do the job better.  

3) I've settled on 2: Runeson for my Kinbad and a Runesmiter for the huge radius reroll wounds for the round when the units tunnel up.

4) Yes, it is absolutely worth it.  The double axe throw is amazingly helpful for clearing chaff and sniping key targets within 16".

5) I've settled on the following: 

• Warrior Kinbad (90)
    • 30 Vulkites (330)
    • 30 Vulkites (330)
    • 30 Vulkites (330)
    • MagSon (240)
  • Runesmiter (80)
  • Runesmiter (80)
  • Battlesmith (80)

With 400 remaining points spent on one of the following:

• MagSmiter (200), 6 Skywardens (200)
  • MagSmiter (200), 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers (200)
  • 6 x2 Skywardens (400)
  • 30 Arkanaut Company (360)

Have you actually played any games Tom - I suspect you will actually be unable to get all 90 in range on some Battleplans? Especially if the enemy corners. They take up a tonne of room. There's also the conundrum of shooting off the models you were 9" away from leaving nothing to charge.

regarding fireslayers  Iv played them twice. Once pre GH17 once post GH17. I caught my opponent cheating both games so he may have skewed my experience. 

They seem a little OP in allot of ways and just wanted to see what you guys thought of the subject. Can you guys give me some more insights? 

2 minutes ago, Blood&skulls said:

regarding fireslayers  Iv played them twice. Once pre GH17 once post GH17. I caught my opponent cheating both games so he may have skewed my experience. 

They seem a little OP in allot of ways and just wanted to see what you guys thought of the subject. Can you guys give me some more insights? 

Need a bit more info. I gather you were playing against Fyreslayers and are looking for advice on how to counter them? What army were you playing with? Any scenarios in particular? How was the other player cheating?

In general, Fyreslayers are a horde army with relatively little access to mortal wounds and no access to magic. Everything other than Magmadroths travels at 4-5" per movement phase (other than those who deepstrike in with a Runesmiter hero), and we only have access to long range missiles through allies.  We also don't have multi-wound elite models beyond heroes on Magmadroths. These can probably be considered the general weaknesses to be exploited.

I just came back from a big AOS-tournament in Sweden FANATIC using the Auric-alpha strike list so I could post some pictures here and describe my strategy and how the games went and good and bad about the list. The tournament is absolutly not as hardcore as some English tournament with 100+ players but it is one of the thoughest AOS-tournaments in Sweden with 32 players.

In short I played one stardrake list, one vanguard wing list, one mixed order list (gunline), one nurge list and one overlords list and had 4 major wins and one minor win. The tournament points depended alot on the differens between killed and lost points and I ended up on 4th place.

3 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I just came back from a big AOS-tournament in Sweden FANATIC using the Auric-alpha strike list so I could post some pictures here and describe my strategy and how the games went and good and bad about the list. The tournament is absolutly not as hardcore as some English tournament with 100+ players but it is one of the thoughest AOS-tournaments in Sweden with 32 players.

In short I played one stardrake list, one vanguard list, one mixed order list (gunline), one nurge list and one overlords list and had 4 major wins and one minor win. The tournament points depended alot on the differens between killed and lost points and I ended up on 4th place.

Gah, I really wished I could have been there :( Maybe next Fanatic. I had a blast last year and the scene there was great (even the "wild Finns" I was told aboutxD). Glad to hear you did well and we had some Fyreslayers representing! Looking forward to your report. If it's else where would you mind posting a link in reply here please?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, mdkinker said:

Need a bit more info. I gather you were playing against Fyreslayers and are looking for advice on how to counter them? What army were you playing with? Any scenarios in particular? How was the other player cheating?

In general, Fyreslayers are a horde army with relatively little access to mortal wounds and no access to magic. Everything other than Magmadroths travels at 4-5" per movement phase (other than those who deepstrike in with a Runesmiter hero), and we only have access to long range missiles through allies.  We also don't have multi-wound elite models beyond heroes on Magmadroths. These can probably be considered the general weaknesses to be exploited.

Not so much looking at ways to counter them. I'm not a bad player and not particularly competitive and as I say I already beat him once so It's more of a curiosity tbh. 

I play mortal khorne with a decent enough list. 

I caught him cheating with the battalion modifier to the turn roll, 200+ extra points, having a save, reroll of save, save after the save then a reeoll of that second save making it very difficult to even kill a single model. With using the new runes more than one per turn. 

It was also on a small table. Maybe all these factors have given me the wrong impression but they seem really ridiculous And I'm just curious if it's me or has anybody else noticed this? 

Archived